1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa area Bars - AZ, what about it?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by IPBprez, Oct 7, 2005.

1. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Questio for AZ ----------------- You ever been here before...?

[​IMG]

O'Kelley's

2. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was aware of that bar, but I have never been there. I didn't realize they showed Packer games there. I should check it out sometime though because it's only a couple of miles away from where I live. I couldn't tell you much about it though because I have never gone there yet.

Kind of a small world though that you might have found a Packer bar that I never paid much attention too and it was right under my nose. We have so many bars, restaurants, stores and gas stations down here, that they all kind of look the same after awhile and you end up kind of just tuning a lot of them out without paying much attention to them.

3. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Wel, it's a bit more trivial than that, I guess.....

I was stationed at the Air Force Base, back in Jan. 1973, until Feb. 1975, when I went to West Germany, at a place called THE ROCK - Hahn AB. Back then, there was nothin' but desert from main street MESA and Powers Road intersection, all the way down to Chandler Road where you would turn into the Air base - Williams AFB. Back then, Minder-Binders up near the Campus, had just opened up - we watched em build it. So I got a history for that area.

4. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realize you had that much history down here. They now use Williams AFB to take some pressure off of Sky Harbor, as they use it to fly commercial flights to places that aren't too far like Reno. I'm not sure if the Military still uses it or not.

Minder-Binders is one of a kind. I haven't been there in awhile, but that was always a fun place to goto. I'm starting to get too old for the college crowd though :)

5. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    On a clear day, you could see four mountain ranges back, out there on the Flight line. I still have some pics some where when the Thunderbirds came to town, in the old F4's. The Base Commander used to help out the (at that time) retired Sherriff who was running the Bait Shop up at the Lake - one Airman would be allowed to go up there (TDY / 89 days) and not wear the uniform, or cut their hair, etc. Choice duty, if you were a brown-nosin' suck-up.

Actually, you're a bit wrong there - Minder-Binders (at that time) was actually a chain of Restaurants/Bars. They used to keep a Flyer at the Main Bar which showed a map of where all the other sister bars were located - all along the PCH, so to speak, in CA - and then, there "was" another one down in Tucson... over by the side of town where one of their main junkyards was located is what I seem to remember. THAT Bar.. had a unique train set - which, when money was inserted.. the little blue train would travel around the whole place, thru little tunnels and stuff.

Minder-Binders claim to fame was their wallpaper and the moose-head with a phone in its ear, the carousel rides used to seating, things like that. As I was getting ready to head out to West Germany, they had just started having a complete Restaurant on the 1st floor - it wasn't like that at first. The site used to be a four-story hay barn. I remember when it basically a vacant lot. Once it was built, the college girls used to wait for guys to give 'em rides home.. During School season, the girl-to-guy ratio was like 9-1 and ASU was always used as the testing ground for the next summer season's bikini wear. We lived on campus for a while, then I moved back to Chandler ave, south of Main Street (Mesa) where there was a K-mart and behind it was an Apartment Complex. In '74, they filmed the TRIAL OF BILLY JACK in Chandler and used the local high school kids as extras.

I'm sure I wouldn't recognize the place these days. It was pretty sparse with no houses, or anything for miles, back then. A man could almost get lost in the desert, right next to the airbase. That park up just past Tempe, over the bridge, across from the ball park - had a small hill with a hole in the mountain, which was great for catching concerts in the ballpark. I saw Deep Purple and Grand Funk Raiload at the Waterpark in Scottsdale. A whole lotta memories.....