Men lie, women lie, film does not.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time watching nfl network and film and one thing I noticed is our dline is horrible at getting off blocks. It bothered me so much to the point I really just kept rewinding it to see if guys were just trying to occupy linemen so that the backers could fill and make tackles or if they just suck. Turns out that they just suck. They need to learn how to use their hands and engage not be engaged. You know it's bad when Clay is getting handled 1 on 1. I hope that they watched film on this all week and come out with violent hands because enough is enough with this poor run defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If that is true...Would that be Capers fault? Is he not able to make them play? Or are they just bad?

I am not trying to get an argument, but want your honest opinion..

If they could get off their blocks how would that help our defense

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being 3-4 DL is a brutal, boring and thankless job in the NFL. Their job is to occupy blocks & collapse the pocket on obvious passing plays, it is the linebackers job to fill the gaps and take on the running backs at the point of attack or pressure the QB. That being said, I agree that our DL has been very, very poor for at least the last 6 weeks or so at disengaging when the RB hits the hole.

To answer LTF's question:

If you go back and look at film for the first 6 weeks of the season, you will see an entirely different DL. Guys like Pickett and Raji were constantly able to disengage and at least get an arm (and when you are 300+ pounds and arm will do) on the RB or even disengage completely and make the tackle. When those guys are occupying their blocks and even getting an arm on a RB it just makes the job that much easier for the LB's when they hit the hole.

I agree that DL play has really suffered as of late and to answer LTF's question, It has nothing to do with Capers. People do not want to hear it or believe it but I believe it is a combination of things.

1. Fact - Aaron Rodgers makes the defense better. If people do not understand this or believe it, then I would simply say they are blind and/or know nothing about football. A-Rod on the field makes the run game better which makes the pass game better which when the 2 are combined means the offense has the ball longer. Which in turn keeps the defense fresh and rested which is especially important with those 340 lb guys on the DL in the run defense game. It is absolutely no coincidence that as soon as A-Rod was gone, the number of 3 and outs by the offense dramatically increased leading to very little rest for those guys.

To be clear on this point, it is not so much that the time of possession numbers are bad for the Packers, it is the fact that our offense has way too many times taken the ball after a 6+ minute drive by the opposing team only to go 3 and out. These are the moments that completely screw a defense.

2. Personal Opinion - The defense lost its heart and fire with the loss of Rodgers AND Matthews. The change of the defense did not happen just because of Rodgers, it happened at the same time CM3 went down. CM3 does not get enough credit for how completely and totally disruptive he is to an offense in both the passing AND running game. That guy when healthy is all over the field even on running plays, there are multiple times a game (when healthy) he crashes down the back side of the line disrupting and/or making a tackle from the backside for little to know gain.

Point being the loss of these 2 guys was such a huge blow to the defense, more so than I think most people realize.

My prediction, even without Rodgers this week, I predict the defense to look much better, I think they will be fired up and ready to go. I think we will see them play with a little more fire & intensity this week.

The only question is which offense will show up? the Detroit/1st half Dallas Offense or the Atlanta/2nd half Dallas offense? If it is the former rather than the latter, it won't matter how well the defense plays unfortunately.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really want guys on my team that can't get fired up to play their best when their team leader is out.

Rodgers going down is an occasion for them to be digging deep and leaving it all out on the field to try to help make up for the loss of your best player, especially in a playoff chase. Not sulking and just kind of going through the motions out there like Raji and Pickett have often looked like over the last 7 weeks.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really want guys on my team that can't get fired up to play their best when their team leader is out.

Rodgers going down is an occasion for them to be digging deep and leaving it all out on the field to try to help make up for the loss of your best player, especially in a playoff chase. Not sulking and just kind of going through the motions out there like Raji and Pickett have often looked like over the last 7 weeks.

I completely agree

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that is true...Would that be Capers fault? Is he not able to make them play? Or are they just bad?

I am not trying to get an argument, but want your honest opinion..

If they could get off their blocks how would that help our defense

By not allowing a rb to average over 7 yards a carry? Get off the block.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't waffle. I want Capers gone. But this game came down to poor special teams play and mistakes on the offense.

I'm picturing Raji pulling a pony cart on the shoulder of I-43, Capers in the back still scrawling X's and O's on a tiny white board, heading to parts unknown.

H

HardRightEdge

Leave that part out

If the players arent getting off blocks...Anything Capers says or does, wouldnt help?

When you read Capers' quotes in the press, he seems just fine with all of that. He was defending Raji recently (sacrificing stats for the team it was said) instead of calling him out. Raji uses that Capers defense as an excuse to make business decisions.

$8 million? For what may be the worst starting 3-4 DE in the league? That's no exaggeration and these guys refuse to do anything about it. It's an invitation to the entire squad to play soft and is not excusable.

PS: I still give Pickett slack here...he's playing on a bad knee.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. I cant stand capers but i dont blame him for todays loss.

The only thing I blame him for is constantly putting our two big fatties in Raji and Pickett out there when it's clear that we have better options and they offer nothing on defense.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But is the issue Capers?

Sorta, when you have guys in the game who can't shed blocks and you stick with them of course it is. Perfect example, how many tackles did Raji have yesterday? how many tackles did Pickett have? I saw Daniels make some plays..so we essentially have one linemen worth a dang on the dline right now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorta, when you have guys in the game who can't shed blocks and you stick with them of course it is. Perfect example, how many tackles did Raji have yesterday? how many tackles did Pickett have? I saw Daniels make some plays..so we essentially have one linemen worth a dang on the dline right now.

So then that falls on Ted, why the outrage for Capers

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because Ted isn't the one putting these guys on the field when they have better options in Daniels, Jones, Boyd, etc.

It's Teds' fault that they're on the team, but Capers' fault that they're on the field. And I can't second-guess drafting Raji since he was a big part of the Super Bowl team, as long as we don't do something stupid like re-sign him.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because Capers has the power to play or at least suggest the guys who are playing the best football right now yet he keeps sticking with Brad jones over Lattimore? MD Jennings over Richardson? Raji and Pickett over Daniels? Whens the last time Jones, Raji, Jennings, or Pickett made an impact play? Lattimore forced a fumble that led to a score, Richardson had a nice tackle in the backfield on a third and short on Bell, and Daniels had some qb hurry's and run stuffs. When will he open his eyes and see that the personel on the field isn't working? this falls on MM and TT as well. I'm sure they have some say in who plays and who doesn't.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our dline was never very good. We have one good player on the dline in Daniels and a bunch of other guys that occupy space, but not in the "it's a two-gap defense and that's their job" kind of way, more of a "well we need bodies on the dline and this is the best we got" kinda way. Raji was solid to good last year and has been terrible pretty much all year this year. Pickett was playing decently until he got hurt; our lack of depth at NT means taht Pickett has had to play through an injury that he probably should have rested. Same thing with Jolly before he was done.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Capers has the power to play or at least suggest the guys who are playing the best football right now yet he keeps sticking with Brad jones over Lattimore? MD Jennings over Richardson? Raji and Pickett over Daniels? Whens the last time Jones, Raji, Jennings, or Pickett made an impact play? Lattimore forced a fumble that led to a score, Richardson had a nice tackle in the backfield on a third and short on Bell, and Daniels had some qb hurry's and run stuffs. When will he open his eyes and see that the personel on the field isn't working? this falls on MM and TT as well. I'm sure they have some say in who plays and who doesn't.

Daniels has played the second most snaps on the dline. Daniels is a DE, not a NT so Pickett doesn't enter then conversation. Capers isn't playing Raji over Daniels, he's occasionally substituting guys to give Daniels a break more often than he does for Raji, which makes sense since Daniels is smaller than Raji.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richardson should definitely be starting over Jennings and Lattimore definitely over Jones.

Raji and Pickett should be very limited in snap counts. It's clear by this point that they simply do not have the ability to "clog up the middle" and prevent any RB's from just completely gashing us.

Where is Worthy and why is he a healthy scratch? 2nd round pick last year -- is he looking THAT bad where he can't even make a gameday roster on a bad D-line?

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
I blame the Lions and Bears. If they would have played like a 1a college team, they would have sown up the division weeks ago and we could have played more of our backups. This riduculous scintilla of playoff hope has made insecure management put who they think are our best players on the field every week. It should be abundantly clear to most here that there are at least 6 players, who play weekly, that should have been riding the pine in favor of up and coming talent

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame the Lions and Bears. If they would have played like a 1a college team, they would have sown up the division weeks ago and we could have played more of our backups. This riduculous scintilla of playoff hope has made insecure management put who they think are our best players on the field every week. It should be abundantly clear to most here that there are at least 6 players, who play weekly, that should have been riding the pine in favor of up and coming talent

Lattimore over Jones

Richardson over MD Jennings

Daniels over Raji

Boyd over Raji

Banjo over MD Jennings

Anybody over Barclay..except Newhouse of course

Yea that sounds about right.

Members online

Latest posts