Memo to Favre: Zip your lips

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Nobody said Favre has no right to say whatever he wants. Vandermause is just saying that it would be better for Favre to avoid comments like those he made last week. They're an unnecessary distraction.

Tauscher said exactly the right thing when asked about it, but if reporters ask enough players, they just might get a more "interesting" response from someone, and that's when things can really get blown out of proportion. Unofortunately, there are a lot of reporters who just like to stir the pot, but it's easy enough for Favre to avoid giving them any material.

I wish me could talk like you.

I always just says "screw yous! you be dumb! favre messin up!"

but you....beautiful.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Nobody said Favre has no right to say whatever he wants. Vandermause is just saying that it would be better for Favre to avoid comments like those he made last week. They're an unnecessary distraction.

Tauscher said exactly the right thing when asked about it, but if reporters ask enough players, they just might get a more "interesting" response from someone, and that's when things can really get blown out of proportion. Unofortunately, there are a lot of reporters who just like to stir the pot, but it's easy enough for Favre to avoid giving them any material.

I wish me could talk like you.

I always just says "screw yous! you be dumb! favre messin up!"

but you....beautiful.

Greg C. is pretty much the definition of reason.

I think the initial reason for the interview is that Brett loves attention. theres really no other reason for it. god knows he doesn't need the money, and if the purpose of the interview was to clear up any misconceptions (which is entirely possible) then it was a complete failure.

Brett Loves Attention! in my opinion it's self-perpetuating. like Chad Johnson minus the stink of desperation, an awful comparison in the grand scheme of things but reletive none the less. the media loves Brett and make no mistake, Brett loves the media.

more importantly, topics like this are discussions that fans have. if a statement that Brett makes during the off-season can distract our team, then we have a weak team. we don't.

everybody here should understand thats sports writers are supposed create controvsey. it's their job, and it's our job to be responsible while reading/filtering through the bullshlt.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, it's alot to do about nothing. I don't care if Favre says "I wanna come back NOW!!!"
The Packers have moved on.
And if this is a 'distraction" to professional atheletes, they must distract too easily.
These guys are worried about their own jobs, not who will be throwing/handing off the football.
It's just something to fill a newspaper column, or sports show.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this has more to do with timing, than anything else.

With the rumor of Bus quietly looking for interest in Brett, that both denied and then this coming out from an interview for a book forward. Had the rumor not been out just prior, I don't think we would be hearing half of this. It was more a journalist figuring he could get some points

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, Favre does NOT like attention. As a matter of fact, he avoids it. Why does someone buy a 450 acre place and put a fence around it with the house in the back so no one sees it? How often do you see him any place in public when he doesn't have to be? Seldom if ever. Favre is a recovering alcoholic. Used to be the life of the party. As with many now sober alcoholics, he has become very withdrawn, likes to be alone. Even his closest personal friends from college have said that to me in the past. (yes I have met a few of his SMU teamates) Favre is not an attention hog. He gets a lot of it but it is not his doing.

Favre also is a very acommidating person. He really cares about those in his circle. (calls to Koren, etc.) It goes beyond the job. the reporter from the Sun-Herald that wrote the story is a good friend of Brett's. Brett just speculated on all the possibilities as he always has. The media took a few sentances and ran with it. (If Trom told you, dear manly gay forum member, he really likes you but he is not gay, would you still assume that he is changing his mind?)

He has also said that he is retired, happy, and currently has no intention of changing his mind. Does that mean it won't happen? Of course not. Everything is a commodity and has a price. What would it take for you to leave your job? your spouse? The more you love something the more it would take for you to leave but it could be done.

The fact that Favre made his comments was not disprespectful but I would think showed a love of the packer organization. What he said was, yeah we both know I can still play and timing wise, this is a perfect time to exit for me and you (giving Rodger a good team around him). However, if you do get in a bind (rodger getting hurt) I have your back.

Let me ask you a question. Say 3rd week of TC Rodger goes down with a season ending injury. Our back up, second round pick Joe Flacco is waiting in the wings while learning how to spell NFL. Would you like TT to make a call to Brett? I would.

That scenerio is actually pretty sweet. Our new QB is large and in charge. Yet, our tried and true Hall of Famer is there, just in case of a catastrophic event yet doesn't have to stand on the sidelines.

Works well. Gives new meaning to the tractor watch.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, Favre does NOT like attention. As a matter of fact, he avoids it. Why does someone buy a 450 acre place and put a fence around it with the house in the back so no one sees it? How often do you see him any place in public when he doesn't have to be? Seldom if ever. Favre is a recovering alcoholic. Used to be the life of the party. As with many now sober alcoholics, he has become very withdrawn, likes to be alone. Even his closest personal friends from college have said that to me in the past. (yes I have met a few of his SMU teamates) Favre is not an attention hog. He gets a lot of it but it is not his doing.

Favre also is a very acommidating person. He really cares about those in his circle. (calls to Koren, etc.) It goes beyond the job. the reporter from the Sun-Herald that wrote the story is a good friend of Brett's. Brett just speculated on all the possibilities as he always has. The media took a few sentances and ran with it. (If Trom told you, dear manly gay forum member, he really likes you but he is not gay, would you still assume that he is changing his mind?)

He has also said that he is retired, happy, and currently has no intention of changing his mind. Does that mean it won't happen? Of course not. Everything is a commodity and has a price. What would it take for you to leave your job? your spouse? The more you love something the more it would take for you to leave but it could be done.

The fact that Favre made his comments was not disprespectful but I would think showed a love of the packer organization. What he said was, yeah we both know I can still play and timing wise, this is a perfect time to exit for me and you (giving Rodger a good team around him). However, if you do get in a bind (rodger getting hurt) I have your back.

Let me ask you a question. Say 3rd week of TC Rodger goes down with a season ending injury. Our back up, second round pick Joe Flacco is waiting in the wings while learning how to spell NFL. Would you like TT to make a call to Brett? I would.

That scenerio is actually pretty sweet. Our new QB is large and in charge. Yet, our tried and true Hall of Famer is there, just in case of a catastrophic event yet doesn't have to stand on the sidelines.

GREAT post Tripp all of what I wanted to say but didnt come out right. :)

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Even the Trom part? :shock: :p

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
trippster said:

The Trom part? That was the funniest! Trippster knows the REAL Favre better than everyone else on this forum. I too, think Favre is just too accomodating. Hell, if I was retired from football, interviews would be the FIRST thing to be taken off my agenda!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
trippster said:

Yep, that was the funniest.. :)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
trippster said:

Yep, that was the funniest.. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

...someone had to say it.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Hands down the best post I have read on this forum is sometime, thank you.

We as fans, as a society, have seemly fell into a pattern of looking at everything from a skeptical eye. We see some comments in a paper and immediately want to judge them as abusive, attacking or critical in nature.

But Favre is a different cat, in my estimation a very straight forward "shooter" that uses common words to honestly answer a question put forth to him. He has done this his entire career, whether it be facing an addiction, facing death and trial in his personal life, or dealing with teammates whom step out of what he precieved as right or wrong (see Jwalk).

In an era of dollar grabbing, greedy athletes he always owned up to his word in his contracts and never grumbled in the paper about his contract or what not. You never questions his intentions or desire to put his best effort forward in making sure the Green Bay Packers were the best they could be while he was an active member.

So why now doubt the intentioned or merits of this man? Has he ever gave you a reason to doubt his affection toward the Packers, his teammates or the Packer fans?

I to think he meant no harm whatsoever, but in light meant it as a compliment to the job MM and Ted have done, to his fellow teammates and his confidence in Arod. Maybe it was worded wrong, maybe he speaks to much, but if you doubt his intentions, then I guess 17 years of service hasn't taught you an ounce about the man underneath the # 4.

My two cents.

BTW.. I understand the rational of not upsetting the flow of the 08 Packers by continuing to talk, but I highly doubt any of the Packer players doubt the true intentions of Brett.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has every right to comment about anything!! He has always been very honest I think that is why people/fans loved him so much as a person and as a QB. Who are these people to say he should shut up when he has every right to speak his mind on how he feels, he has always been this way why should he stop now?

Agreed!!!

There is a Freedom of Speech in this country. Not everything that is said is the smartest thing in the world, and sometimes it comes back to bite the one who said it in the rear, but it's one of our most important Freedoms.

Brett Favre is the best QB ever to play the game. I think he has more than earned the Right to speak his mind.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the rational of not upsetting the flow of the 08 Packers by continuing to talk, but I highly doubt any of the Packer players doubt the true intentions of Brett.

Are you insinuating that his former teammates know him better than we do!?! You've got some nerve fella!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I understand the rational of not upsetting the flow of the 08 Packers by continuing to talk, but I highly doubt any of the Packer players doubt the true intentions of Brett.

Are you insinuating that his former teammates know him better than we do!?! You've got some nerve fella!

LOL.. I would venture to guess that may be the case.. other than maybe Trom with is stalking type tendancies.. ;)

Nerve.. na... 'In vino veritas'.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Pack93z said:

LOL.. I would venture to guess that may be the case.. other than maybe Trom with is stalking type tendancies.. ;)

Nerve.. na... 'In vino veritas'.

you're drunk.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Trippster..........you took the identical situation, and spun it the other way.
PROPS to you my friend!!!
I bet the way YOU said it was the way it was meant all along!!!
You put alot of GREAT points and thought into your post.
You should send it into "Packer Plus" or the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel. I bet it would be printed!
Again, my hat's off to you Trippster!!! :D

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

well a couple of former Green Bay teammates have said the opposite (yes i have met a few of his former Green Bay teammates) and to be frank, i think everybody likes attention. thats not a character flaw, it's part of being human. the only difference is that a lot of it is completely out of his control, but who's to say he doesn't like it?

nobody would like reporters or obsessed fans camping outside their property wanting to wear your skin as a suit, and we all have a bubble. but Favre seems like a class clown to me, and being the center of attention is exactly what thats all about. if you think he doesn't help dictate how much attention he gets, that seems a bit silly to me. thats like taking his personality out of the equation.

The fact that Favre made his comments was not disprespectful but I would think showed a love of the packer organization.

couldn't agree more. i don't think this is a big deal at all. barely newsworthy if you ask me.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think reporters and especially fans are getting far more uppity about this than anyone in the Packers organization, players, coaches, or managers.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

well a couple of former Green Bay teammates have said the opposite (yes i have met a few of his former Green Bay teammates) and to be frank, i think everybody likes attention. thats not a character flaw, it's part of being human. the only difference is that a lot of it is completely out of his control, but who's to say he doesn't like it?

nobody would like reporters or obsessed fans camping outside their property wanting to wear your skin as a suit, and we all have a bubble. but Favre seems like a class clown to me, and being the center of attention is exactly what thats all about. if you think he doesn't help dictate how much attention he gets, that seems a bit silly to me. thats like taking his personality out of the equation.

The fact that Favre made his comments was not disprespectful but I would think showed a love of the packer organization.

couldn't agree more. i don't think this is a big deal at all. barely newsworthy if you ask me.

Favre is a jokester with his buddies. There again, after you are "in his inner circle," as they say. Locker room stuff aside. I am very much the life of the party type with my friends. People who know me and I trust. however, put me in a room with mostly strangers and I am a very shy person. I wonder if the teamates you spoke with knew him both during and after his drinking.

Personal attention and public attention are different. We all like some personal attention and as normal citizens we might all like some public attention. However, as one of my favorite rockabilly singers sang, "ya know, it aint good to be "too" anything." Simply put, glutteness of anything delutes it's enjoyment.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't blame the reporter for doing his job. Favre gives him a bombshell and what's he supposed to do? Just bury it and never think of it again? Yeah right..

Favre can say what he wants. That's America but it's really frustrating that everyone takes what the guy says out of context including Press Gazette writer here. Favre was speaking in a "What If" situation. Basically he told us something that everyone else out there was speculating the day he retired.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't blame the reporter for doing his job. Favre gives him a bombshell and what's he supposed to do? Just bury it and never think of it again? Yeah right..

Favre can say what he wants. That's America but it's really frustrating that everyone takes what the guy says out of context including Press Gazette writer here. Favre was speaking in a "What If" situation. Basically he told us something that everyone else out there was speculating the day he retired.

Well, that's exactly the thing. It was said out of context because it's a what if situation.

There will always be a what if.

Like, Porky - would you retire if you had ten million dollars cash given to you and you didn't have to pay taxes?

Porky - would you retire if some evil wizard cursed you and made your loved ones all get weird spots?

I'm exaggerating for effect, of course, but you see what I'm getting at? The reporters kept asking questions until they got a story. It's not Favre's fault. he was simply answering their stupid questions.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will just paste what I put in another thread which was closed:

Honestly, I don't understand all this talk about Favre distracting the team. First some people were up in arms because Favre didn't hand in his retirement papers (Which TT has says makes no difference to their plans). Then some people are up in arms because he might consider coming back if Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Then the Packers are retiring Favre's # and this is going to distract Rodgers.

NFL players are paid millions of dollars to go play a game. If you are distracted by something like this, I sure hope your not on my favourite team. Go out and play the game. Why would anyone on this team even care what a retired player is saying. Go out and win, thats it.

I don't get this view that Favre has to watch what he says. He's a grown man. He's NOT a GB Packer. He can say whatever he wants. He doesn't owe the Packers or us a THING. He went out there and played with broken bones and concussions and personal tragedy. He's earned the right to say whatever he wants, he's RETIRED. If the Packers are actually the team I think they are, they are not going to be distracted by what Favre says or doesn't say. He was the scapegoat for so many for Packers losing in the NFC Championsihp and I'll bet he will some how be the scapegoat if the Packers get off to a slow start ("It's because they retired Favre's # and the team couldn't concentrate!" - That sounds insane to me). You get paid millions of dollars, go out and play. If Rodgers is the QB that I hope he is, I would assume he can go on the field and shut down "distractions" and perform. If he can't handle the pressure of a number retirement ceremony, how is going to handle the pressure of a full NFL season - he's going to be fine.

Why would Aaron Rodgers want it any other way. Retire his number, go out there and prove your the next big thing.

Let's say this team has a Super Bowl run in them. The two weeks of distractions of the Super Bowl are intense. If you can't handle retiring a number or someone telling someone in an interview "I'd consider coming back IF Rodgers went down", then how are you going to handle the Super Bowl distractions.

Eli Manning plays in NY. Thats the toughest media market - he got attacked for yeras from every journalist you can name. He went out there and won a Super Bowl. There were a million distractions he dealt with including Tiki Barber calling him out. He won a Super Bowl. If you want to be a successful team, you have to be able to block out distractions.

BESIDES ITS APRIL! IF this was September I can see some sort of issue. But this is APRIL. If you distracted by what Favre said in April, this team is mentally weak and is going NO WHERE.

Members online

Latest posts