Memo to Favre: Zip your lips

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
words:
This is meant in the nicest possible way and no disrespect is intended, but Brett Favre needs to shut up.

Please, Brett, no more rambling about the prospect of coming out of retirement. No more thinking out loud about the pros and cons of returning. No more speculation in response to hypothetical questions.

Everyone who watched his tearful retirement news conference March 6 came away convinced Favre was finished. His competitive flame was extinguished. The candle that burned so vibrantly for 17 years in the National Football League had expired.

It was written all over his face. We saw it in his eyes. His demeanor was unmistakable.

Most of all, his words said it all. "I've given everything I possibly can give to this organization, to the game of football," Favre said that day. "And I don't think I've got anything left to give, and that's it."

In case there was any doubt, Favre reiterated his intentions. "What matters is it's been a great career for me, and it's over," he said. "As hard as that is for me to say, it's over."

There was no wiggle room in those comments. He didn't leave the door slightly ajar in case there was a change of heart.

What part of the words "it's over" could be misunderstood?

Yet here we are, less than six weeks later, wondering whether Favre might stage a comeback.

Asked by the Biloxi Sun-Herald on Tuesday whether he would consider returning if starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers went down with an injury, Favre replied: "It would be tempting, and I very well could be enticed to do it."

Say what?

In the same interview, Favre also said he hasn't changed his mind about retirement. He added he wouldn't return unless he was in shape. Is it any wonder Packers fans were confused by the mixed messages?

Favre's diligent attempt to answer a concocted question came out wrong. In the end, Favre stuck his size-13 shoe in his mouth.

Even the hint Favre might play again will send certain fans and media outlets over the edge. It's not inconceivable that some people will root for Rodgers to get hurt.

Intended or not, Favre's comments added to Rodgers' heavy burden. It's difficult enough following a legend, but it will become harder if there's a perception Favre is waiting in the wings.

Favre could have avoided all of this by emphatically stating he's happy in retirement. He should have politely declined to play a silly game of what-if. Instead, he fueled conjecture about a possible comeback.

How will Favre respond in his next interview when someone hits him with this: "Would you consider playing again if boar hunting gets boring, your golf game goes to pot and your lawn no longer needs mowing due to a drought in Mississippi?"

Against my better journalistic instincts, I would advise Favre to stick a sock in his mouth. Either that, or simply say, "No comment."

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'Nuff said.

Against my better journalistic instincts, I would advise Favre to stick a sock in his mouth. Either that, or simply say, "No comment."

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has every right to comment about anything!! He has always been very honest I think that is why people/fans loved him so much as a person and as a QB. Who are these people to say he should shut up when he has every right to speak his mind on how he feels, he has always been this way why should he stop now?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has every right to comment about anything!! He has always been very honest I think that is why people/fans loved him so much as a person and as a QB. Who are these people to say he should shut up when he has every right to speak his mind on how he feels, he has always been this way why should he stop now?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

your right.. its perfectly legal and hes earned the right to say whatever he wants. that doesnt mean he should.

in one breath he says he has the upmost respect for this organization, then throws out these things like "i could very well be enticed back"??? that can have no good impact on this young locker room and organization. Right now its no big deal... just Favre doing what he does. But if it keeps up then it could be serious trouble and distraction throughout the year.

Favre can say whatever he wants... but for the sake of his team for 17 years, and for the sake of a team that traded for him out of nowhere 17 years ago... he needs to zip it.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett can do whatever he wants, If noone else likes it who really cares.

What's it distracting from, this exciting FA frenzy?

Perhaps the jerkwad writing this and all of you who are so upset should take your own advice and SHUT THE _____ UP

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Perhaps the jerkwad writing this and all of you who are so upset should take your own advice and SHUT THE _____ UP

Yeah, it's not like this is distracting current players on the team, or forcing them to respond to reporters questions due to Favre's lip-flapping.

Oh wait...

Mark Tauscher said:
"I'm sure he loves playing, (but) he's made his decision and we as a football team are ready to move forward," right tackle Mark Tauscher said Thursday night at the Lee Remmel Sports Awards Banquet. "We're not going to worry about all those speculations. We respect Brett. He was a great teammate. But this is Aaron Rodgers' team right now."

Reaction score
To be fair, Vandermause should realize that at times Journalists deserve the blame...

Favre was asked questions and answered them, then AFTER HE FINISHED he rambled on with musings, and the reporter ended up reporting the ramblings of Favre as opposed to the answers to the questions. (info according to someone else that was present during the interview)

I really think Favre doesn't deserve blame for that interview, it's the reporter's irresponsibility in trying to get a story that led to the publishing of the ramblings in the first place.

Blame Favre when he has earned the blame, but this really shouldn't be put on Favre IMO. I don't believe it is his fault...

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he doesn't need to shut is mouth all he is doing is answering questions that people ask him. hes not going to them and saying, hey put this on the news. they are coming to him. yea maybe he could alter his choice of words a little but geeze give it a rest. if Brett didn't answer questions and give a honest answer and joke about things to people that just wouldn't be right thats not brett favre and that is one of the reasons we love him. don't twist it around.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he doesn't need to shut is mouth all he is doing is answering questions that people ask him. hes not going to them and saying, hey put this on the news. they are coming to him.

Yeah, they're going to him. They sure are. Because they know damn well honest abe(and favre is honest, no doubt about that) will give them something newsworthy.

yea maybe he could alter his choice of words a little but geeze give it a rest.

Is that too much to ask though? Maybe Brett should give it a rest(as the article suggests)?

if Brett didn't answer questions and give a honest answer and joke about things to people that just wouldn't be right thats not brett favre and that is one of the reasons we love him. don't twist it around.

And the ever popular "Brett being Brett....no matter how distracting or detrimental it is."

I love favre, always have, always will, I want to make Favre babies with him, but he needs to quiet down, maybe DECLINE some interviews, maybe say NO COMMENT, and maybe NOT HINT at comebacks(which would make him a liar, which I don't think he is).

but that's just me. And the author of the article. And a lot of other people.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

Yeah, it's not like this is distracting current players on the team, or forcing them to respond to reporters questions due to Favre's lip-flapping.

Oh wait...

Mark Tauscher said:
"I'm sure he loves playing, (but) he's made his decision and we as a football team are ready to move forward," right tackle Mark Tauscher said Thursday night at the Lee Remmel Sports Awards Banquet. "We're not going to worry about all those speculations. We respect Brett. He was a great teammate. But this is Aaron Rodgers' team right now."

Isn't that the reporters fault, oh wait....... it's easier to blame Brett.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how thing's get twisted around by some.

If you want Brett to say "No Comment" then why isn't it an option for Mark Tauscher to say "No Comment" thus preventing this FICTIONAL distraction thing you have dreamed up.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
KGB94SACKEM said:

Oh wait...

Mark Tauscher said:

Isn't that the reporters fault, oh wait....... it's easier to blame Brett.

Really? That's what you're coming back with? Don't you know who the hell I am? I eat pieces of ... um, anyway...

The reporters FAULT? No way. They're doing their job, going out to interview\get quotes from a famous person(who could decline) and then ask them semi-controversial questions(comeback questions,etc). Their job should be hard, because this veteran player should know their tricks by now and show some discretion, but he doesn't. Favre's not an idiot. He knows what they want, and he gives it to them on a silver platter.

Just be prepared for a lot more responses like the Tauscher\McCarthy quotes about Favre's "un-retirement" in the next 2 weeks approaching the draft. Yeah, the draft, a very important time for this organization that primarilly builds through the process, and they have this unnecessary headache.

C'mon, Brett. You're smarter than this.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again why can't Tauscher or MM say "no commemt"

Wow. Really?

An active player\coach\representative of the team should decline a comment, but a retired player who has nothing to do with the team anymore shouldn't decline comment.

Awesome.

No. They HAVE to respond now. They HAVE to reinforce their position on the new quarterback and the direction of the team. They have to respond, because Brett made them. I mean, the tricky reporters made Favre make them.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

I mean, the tricky reporters made Favre make them.

Point Proven

In fact it makes MUCH MORE sense for current players to say "no comment" then former players. Former players always weigh in on thier former team.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
KGB94SACKEM said:

I mean, the tricky reporters made Favre make them.

Point Proven

In fact it makes MUCH MORE sense for current players to say "no comment" then former players. Former players always weigh in on thier former team.

Point proven? Really? This is the last one because I worked all night and it's already noon, so take this and shut it.

"Hey Mark. Mark, there's rumors Favre might make a comeback and be the QB and not Aaron Rodgers. Would you like him back?" "No Comment."

Yeah, that'd go over well.

Wow.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im very happy tauscher has said what he has there, hes dead right. Basically BF could have been the Packers Qb for many years more but the decision is made now and i just think he shouldnt be commenting about the Packers anymore.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why cant Favre speak his mind? I do it all the time..LOL..he is just a normal person now, one of us, maybe with alittle more money. :) But IMO I enjoy listening to Brett speak and IMO he can say whatever he wants its his right. As far as I know we still have free speech in this country. Brett has NEVER held back on words, and he is honest, and he wont say "No Comment" if he has something to say. I dont think anyone should tell anyone to zip it, or shut up to me this is NOT nice in anyway. Favre has dedicated his life to football and the fans love hearing from him. Some people just put more into his words then should be, there is really more to worry about in life then this IMO.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why cant Favre speak his mind? I do it all the time..LOL..he is just a normal person now, one of us

NO. He's a hall of famer who is BARELY 1 month retired and hinting at coming back under certain circumstances.

Discretion is the word of the month.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has no responsibilities for the team anymore. he can say what he wants. if what he says affects the team, and a reporter asks Tausch if he wants Favre back, Taush has to reinforce his confidence with who is actually on the team, not someone who isn't on the team.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Favre has no responsibilities for the team anymore. he can say what he wants.

So, loyalty and respect goes out the window. He has to know what the reporters want out of this, and he gives it to them.

"I'm not part of the team anymore, I can say what I want, no matter if it may cause turmoil or distract players in any way."

I just expect better from Favre. 20 years in the league and this is how he acts when he's retired? Hinting at comebacks, not signing retirement papers in a swift manner,etc? Really?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect better too. But, the Packers can't suspend him if he says something that hurts the team. Yeah, I wish he'd shut up about this so the team wouldn't have to deal with it, but the guy is human, and I love him, faults and all. Fact of the matter: Discretion is not a virtue that Favre possesses, and he never has. Right now, I wish he did, but he doesn't. A-Rodg is going to be the man, no matter what Brett does or does not say.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody said Favre has no right to say whatever he wants. Vandermause is just saying that it would be better for Favre to avoid comments like those he made last week. They're an unnecessary distraction.

Tauscher said exactly the right thing when asked about it, but if reporters ask enough players, they just might get a more "interesting" response from someone, and that's when things can really get blown out of proportion. Unofortunately, there are a lot of reporters who just like to stir the pot, but it's easy enough for Favre to avoid giving them any material.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts