Melvin Gordon to Greenbay at #30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a terrible idea to move Matthews inside permanently. It helped improve the run defense last season but he's not nearly as efficient as a true ILB.

Guion will be suspended for the first few games of the season and I don't trust Raji to show up motivated every sinhle week. In addition Guion was decent but don't mistake him for a dominant NT.

Hayward and Hyde aren't a great fit to play outside and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a mid round pick to be counted on from week 1 at that position.

In a perfect world the Packers would re-sign Tramon Williams, bring in a veteran ILB and spend their first two picks on another ILB and a NT.

There's absolutely no reason to draft Gordon and it would be ludicrous at best if Thompson picks the former Badger.

Envision captainWIMM doing this after this post:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO you're really stretching in an attempt to make a point here. Hyde and Linsley were both 5th round picks and as we all know, Rodgers was talked about as being the first pick in that draft. Those picks aren't at all analogous IMO.
Yeah, i agree. The point was, though, that at the time they were drafted nobody figured they would get much playing time because of others on the roster.

But you have to admit, many were upset with the Jordy and Rodgers picks because of starters ahead of them on the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy who? Rodgers? Who needs Rodgers we have Favre. and this guy Nick Collins?? Where the heck is Butane is for Cooking? I don't think we always know how things are going to shake out.

I"m not opposed to playing Clay at ILB as much or more as we did last year if we have some more prospects outside rather than inside. I think he had one of his most productive seasons last year after the switch. He's a guy that can go create problems anywhere on the field. Not everyone can do that. he gives us a few ways we can play on defense and still be good.

that said, if Melvin Gordon is there at 30, I'm hoping there are DL, ILB's, CB's that are rated higher still available to us. I think he'll make a fine NFL player for someone, but with the value we can get in round 1 and 2 and any of those other positions, well, I'd rather we fill those positions.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. ILB position. Move Mathews inside perminent.

The improved run defence does not equate to what we lose in passer rush. Clay is much more productive outside. If we can spare the cap, we should go for FA to fix these and use draft for depth. With a top notch ILB and CB, we are definitely destined for SB this time around.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you act like you don't seem to understand that team needs come before team luxuries.

Melvin Gordon doesn't have Chris Johnson speed, and again, there's a big difference between defensive speed in the B10 than the NFL.

I don't know why Quarless keeps coming into this argument. He was a 5th round developmental/depth pick. He was not drafted with the 30th overall pick, and he was not drafted as some sort of weird ploy to use as a bargaining chip in negotiations with Jermichael Finley. Andrew Quarless has nothing to do with the price of tea in China here. Nobody is saying not to take a RB in the 5th round.

Favre was about to turn 36 and we needed a franchise QB successor. Not even close to being the same thing.
A luxury pick that the Packers can use to get better.
Gordon obviously has a slower start to the 40 yard dash. But wait til you see him get around the corner in the NFL. Running away from safetys. He has blazing top end speed. Jordy , and Starks too have deceptive top end speed, but takes an extra step for them to get up to top speed. Another possibility is Gordon didnt practice his 40 yard dash... Either way he is so much faster than what his 40 time suggests. Im going to give it a mulligan. it didnt translate...

And I mention Quarless, because like Finley, Quarless was a potential 1st round talent. Both slipped because of issues not to do with football. Finley was the only real TE, and his young ego was going to demand the world... When we drafted Quarless, we had one year to decide to pay Finley or not. Unfortunately, Quarless blew the knee and we ended up giving Finley what he wanted (after he was humbled himself with injuries) But for a short 2 year deal. Drafted two more TEs and kept Quarless through the whole 2.5 year rehab. Point is, Thompson bargained shopped. But he started planning for Finley to price himself out of town. Not that we werent willing to pay up. But would NOT be forced to over pay... Alot of stuff over a long period of time. But I have gathered that Thompson does this. BPA? Or master mind strategy, like Kasperov, 10 moves ahead of us all.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other wasted picks in recent Packer history: Jordy Nelson, Micah Hyde, Corey Linsley, and maybe even Aaron Rodgers.

If Gordon is there I think we should take him. But i am of the opinion he will be a standout player in the NFL. And anytime you can add a n impact player you do it

When Jordy was drafted folks were upset we wasted the pick when we already had a few. In the long term it is what is best for the Packers.
At least ONE person thinks its a decent idea. LOL. Good enough for me :) I will quit pushing it.
What I really want is one of those big dominant mobile DT/NT to slip to #30...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The improved run defence does not equate to what we lose in passer rush. Clay is much more productive outside. If we can spare the cap, we should go for FA to fix these and use draft for depth. With a top notch ILB and CB, we are definitely destined for SB this time around.
Alright. Then can Perry or Neal play inside? Because we have Mathews/Peppers starting. Perry/ Neal back up. Elliot, Mulumba, Hubbard. One of them must be able to convert to ILB. hey?

H

HardRightEdge

Alright. Then can Perry or Neal play inside? Because we have Mathews/Peppers starting. Perry/ Neal back up. Elliot, Mulumba, Hubbard. One of them must be able to convert to ILB. hey?
Not likely.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lacy goes down we have Starks, and Neal. No defense is scared. play action is gone. A-rod takes a beating. circa 50+ sacks 2010 and 2011.

I hope its just like 2010 and 2011, you know, the season where we won the SB and then put up a top 3 offense of all time. Yeah seeing that again would be terrible

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wisconsin rb's are good because of their OL. when was the last time any Wis rb did well in the NFL? Gordon will be drafted, but don't expect much from him, just ask Monte Ball

they said the same thing about the QBs here too
... and the D linemen...

Ball sucks bc he was more interested in being famous than being a ftball player. Guess who had to pull him aside and have a talk with him? I'll give you a hint, he is entering the draft this year.

Gordon will be successful in the league if he avoids injury and doesnt end up in some god awful situation (like getting drafted by the Packers and getting 5 carries a game)

D

Deleted member 6794

None of them will be moved inside. The Packers have already decided to play Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer at ILB.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The talk of moving Matthews to the middle would only create more issues, as Matthews isnt a fan of it, he does it to help. You tell him hes making a permanant move, he may tell us something WE dont want to hear when his contract is up.

He is effective inside, but he is dominant outside. Why change that from design?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the hometown guys, especially Gordon, but RB is a low-priority for the Green & Gold. I hope he lands with a team in the AFC......

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope its just like 2010 and 2011, you know, the season where we won the SB and then put up a top 3 offense of all time. Yeah seeing that again would be terrible

At least the 2011 part. Never want to see another Vikings-look-alike season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of them will be moved inside. The Packers have already decided to play Carl Bradford and Nate Palmer at ILB.

And to be honest I do feel we have one that will stick between those two and Barrington but man do I hope we get a young stud athlete that it is his true position in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

And to be honest I do feel we have one that will stick between those two and Barrington but man do I hope we get a young stud athlete that it is his true position in the draft.

I don´t expect anything out of Bradford or Palmer but it would for sure be a nice bonus if those guys have an impact.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t expect anything out of Bradford or Palmer but it would for sure be a nice bonus if those guys have an impact.

I see them at most sticking in the sense of a lessor Poppinga or what Jones was prior to expecting him to start. And when I say them I'm including Barrington in there. Barrington/Bradford and Palmer all have portions of the game I love about them, but all having glaring issues too.

If any of them blossom into a solid starter I believe it will be Barrington...but I could see Bradford and his athleticism becoming a Jarret Bush type guy at LB. Used a lot on special teams and there when needed doing above average at holding his position in limited snaps.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, they probably can. But then just like Clay, I think it 'll be ragtag and we need those options if any of primaries get injured (touch wood). What we need is a ILB who can 'dominate', not just any who 'can do a job' there. The thought of Lynch and his damn beast mode running through us in the 2nd half of the championship game is something I really would not want to ever see again.

Btw, It's not like I don't like Melvin, just that I think he is not what we should choose as 1st pick. I'm not sure he would drop to 2nd round, but if he does, he becomes a strong pick contender.

;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they said the same thing about the QBs here too
... and the D linemen...

Ball sucks bc he was more interested in being famous than being a ftball player. Guess who had to pull him aside and have a talk with him? I'll give you a hint, he is entering the draft this year.

Gordon will be successful in the league if he avoids injury and doesnt end up in some god awful situation (like getting drafted by the Packers and getting 5 carries a game)
I agree with all except that the Packers are a bad situation. I could see Lacy and Gordon tandem working, some games the oposition may dictate the running style. Either Lacy pounds their fast defenders and they are a step slow for Gordon; or Gordon tires out their big guys and Lacy runs them over.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with all except that the Packers are a bad situation. I could see Lacy and Gordon tandem working, some games the oposition may dictate the running style. Either Lacy pounds their fast defenders and they are a step slow for Gordon; or Gordon tires out their big guys and Lacy runs them over.

Nothing of that would happen though as the offense won´t get the ball because the defense wouldn´t be able to stop anyone from multiple 20+ plays drives every single game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing of that would happen though as the offense won´t get the ball because the defense wouldn´t be able to stop anyone from multiple 20+ plays drives every single game.
So if we dont draft defense in the first round, you are saying our defense will suddenly suck?

Thats kind of silly.

D

Deleted member 6794

So if we dont draft defense in the first round, you are saying our defense will suddenly suck?

Thats kind of silly.

As of right now the defense has huge holes at NT, ILB and possibly at CB. Thompson won´t address all of these needs in free agency so drafting a RB to probably be the third guy on the depth chart is kind of silly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care how we get them, but if we don't get some DL and ILB, our defense will probably suck. Besides Daniels, there is nobody we have on the DL right now i want to see as anything but a seldomly used rotational guy. and at ILB we have an OLB capable of playing there and an ILB. Everything else is pretty unknown right now. and that's assuming we get Williams back at CB, otherwise things look even worse. For now anyway

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats kind of silly.

Already a tough situation figuring out what to do at ILB and NT. Doesn't make much sense to use a pick on a RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts