Mel Kiper Regrades Packers 2013 Draft

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Post-draft grade: B+
Summary: At the time, I wrote, "I love what Green Bay got out of this draft, particularly at two spots -- defensive end and running back." After one season, I still love what the Packers got at running back, as Lacy has been everything they could have hoped for and completely changes the manner in which this offense can threaten you. But we'll need to see more from Jones, who was OK but not great and isn't yet a first-team player. But the draft was crucial elsewhere. Bakhtiari wasn't drafted under the idea he'd be protectingAaron Rodgers' blind side, but that's what happened. And, although he wasn't above average at the position, he didn't embarrass himself and has a chance to stick there with continued improvement. Believe it or not, that's a compliment for a rookie fourth-rounder. Name another rookie who played a whole season at left tackle. Fifth-rounder Hyde also was good in a return role. Not a bad start for this draft class, and you have to believe Jones can and will give them more.

New grade: B+

Edit: added quotes, Poppa

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Post-draft grade: B+

Summary: At the time, I wrote, "I love what Green Bay got out of this draft, particularly at two spots -- defensive end and running back." After one season, I still love what the Packers got at running back, as Lacy has been everything they could have hoped for and completely changes the manner in which this offense can threaten you. But we'll need to see more from Jones, who was OK but not great and isn't yet a first-team player. But the draft was crucial elsewhere. Bakhtiari wasn't drafted under the idea he'd be protectingAaron Rodgers' blind side, but that's what happened. And, although he wasn't above average at the position, he didn't embarrass himself and has a chance to stick there with continued improvement. Believe it or not, that's a compliment for a rookie fourth-rounder. Name another rookie who played a whole season at left tackle. Fifth-rounder Hyde also was good in a return role. Not a bad start for this draft class, and you have to believe Jones can and will give them more.

New grade: B+
Can you insert the link for this so I can read the other teams reports? such as the queens and there 3 1st rounders.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Can you insert the link for this so I can read the other teams reports? such as the queens and there 3 1st rounders.
Post-draft grade: B

Summary: If you say the Vikings got a lot of reps from their rookie class in this draft, let's just keep one thing in mind: They drafted three times in Round 1. Considering they had some holes and depth questions at several spots, it's a given they were going to get some guys who should be playing early. But they also needed decent impact, and so far I think it's fair to say we don't yet know what they have. I loved the Floyd pick, but he's just been solid depth behind Kevin Williams. I think Rhodes will be a pretty good NFL corner, but he had his share of hiccups and was a liability early in the season. Patterson was dynamic in the return game, but he was more of a tertiary threat in the passing game. I think he'll grow there, however, as we knew he needed some refinement as a route runner, and QB play in Minny was a mess. The Vikes also got a good punter, but that's it. They did get players, but the return is marginal so far given the pick placement they had, so I think they drop a little.

New grade: C+

Bears
Post-draft grade: C+

Summary: The Bears got a lot of snaps from their rookie class in 2013. The problem is it might have been too many. They did a good job of finding starting-capable players along the offensive line in guard Long and right tackle Mills, but, although Long got better over the course of the season, Mills had his share of struggles and will need to improve to maintain a starting role long term. He started in Chicago but probably wouldn't for most teams. The Bears also had to call on both rookie draft picks at linebacker, Bostic and Greene, and, although Bostic in particular showed the potential of a future starter, neither made anyone forget Brian Urlacher, and both still have some developmental work to do. That said, I thought the Greene pick was a great get and said so at the time, and I hope he continues to improve. It's hard to knock this draft class because the Bears really did hit needs and got a lot of playing time. Development will mean those needs become long-term solutions.

New grade: B-

Lions
Post-draft grade: C+

Summary: The Bears got a lot of snaps from their rookie class in 2013. The problem is it might have been too many. They did a good job of finding starting-capable players along the offensive line in guard Long and right tackle Mills, but, although Long got better over the course of the season, Mills had his share of struggles and will need to improve to maintain a starting role long term. He started in Chicago but probably wouldn't for most teams. The Bears also had to call on both rookie draft picks at linebacker, Bostic and Greene, and, although Bostic in particular showed the potential of a future starter, neither made anyone forget Brian Urlacher, and both still have some developmental work to do. That said, I thought the Greene pick was a great get and said so at the time, and I hope he continues to improve. It's hard to knock this draft class because the Bears really did hit needs and got a lot of playing time. Development will mean those needs become long-term solutions.

New grade: B-
Edit: added quotes, Poppa

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts