Meet Your New Punter

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he wins the job, at least we know Mason's balls will be held by a true professional

D

Deleted member 6794

Among the UFDA the Pack signed following the draft was former Big Ten Punter of the Year Peter Mortell. This kid grew up in Green Bay, attended Notre Dame Academy High School. I found this interesting, somewhat tongue-in-cheek appraisal of him:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/4/30/11546202/minnesota-ounter-peter-mortell-green-bay-packers

Tim Masthay, you had better bring your A-game this year.

Mortell has experience punting in cold weather averaging 44.0 yards per punt during three season playing for Minnesota. It would for sure be a great story for him making his hometown team.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With his 4.94 40 he is truly a 7 tool player and I'm excited to see his 7 yds/rush put to good use. ;) Hope he makes it, will be fun to follow his Twitter posts throughout the season.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as some want Masthay gone he's got a 44.2 yds/punt 6-year career average. Mortell's 3-year collegiate average is 43.98 yds/punt. Competition will be a good thing for Masthay, but IMHO Mortell has an uphill battle to make the team. Love his sense of humor!

Reaction score
I would say this competition for Masthay should "force his hand"to improve.. but under the circumstances it'll "force his foot"

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as some want Masthay gone he's got a 44.2 yds/punt 6-year career average. Mortell's 3-year collegiate average is 43.98 yds/punt. Competition will be a good thing for Masthay, but IMHO Mortell has an uphill battle to make the team.

Masthay has shanked way too many punts over the last two years to feel comfortable with him continuing to be the Packers punter. A lot of punters improve their average once working with pro level coaching and conditioning staff (as an example Masthay averaged 40.2 yards in college).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely not defending Masthay's shanks, as every NFL punter needs to learn to deal with rain, wind and even sweat on the ball. I think Zook placed a huge priority on limiting return yards and had Masthay working on directional kicks. He was 1st in the league in return yards allowed (fewest), but only 13th in average yds/punt. Masthay was tied for 27th in fair catches & 30th in the NFL for inside the 20, both need to improve. Would think that directional, out of bounds kicking mentality would lead to a much higher inside-the-20 rating. Hoping that was his off season homework, kicking out of bounds at the 10 consistently.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ked-punts-the-boot-b99631982z1-361520941.html

D

Deleted member 6794

Definitely not defending Masthay's shanks, as every NFL punter needs to learn to deal with rain, wind and even sweat on the ball. I think Zook placed a huge priority on limiting return yards and had Masthay working on directional kicks. He was 1st in the league in return yards allowed (fewest), but only 13th in average yds/punt. Masthay was tied for 27th in fair catches & 30th in the NFL for inside the 20, both need to improve. Would think that directional, out of bounds kicking mentality would lead to a much higher inside-the-20 rating. Hoping that was his off season homework, kicking out of bounds at the 10 consistently.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ked-punts-the-boot-b99631982z1-361520941.html

I think way too much is being made out of Zook asking Masthay to make directional kicks. An NFL punter should be able to put the ball out of bounds without shanking it regularly. The Packers have given Masthay enough time to get over his struggles, in my opinion it´s time to move on.

H

HardRightEdge

Among the UFDA the Pack signed following the draft was former Big Ten Punter of the Year Peter Mortell. This kid grew up in Green Bay, attended Notre Dame Academy High School. I found this interesting, somewhat tongue-in-cheek appraisal of him:

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/4/30/11546202/minnesota-ounter-peter-mortell-green-bay-packers

Tim Masthay, you had better bring your A-game this year.
From the way he's holding the ball in that pic, it looks like he's got that rugby style going on as with Masthay. Masthsy does not employ it all the time...usually for positional kicking.

While I'm no apologist for Mathay, it is worth pointing out the potential benefits of that style. The rugby style tends to put a wobble on the ball and an odd flight, making it a little more difficult to track and catch at the expense of distance vs. the traditional style that attempts to put a spiral on the ball to cut the air for maximum carry.

Now I don't know if that pic is just an oddity, but if the kid does go in for the rugby style it tells you something about the Packer preference at the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was hoping to see the Packers invest a draft pick into a punter, late round. Someone like Riley Dixon. Now I know, you can find guys like Mortell in the UDFA pool, but drafting a punter not only helps to assure you get the punter you want, but it sends a message to us fans......."we are done with Masthay".

I'm not convinced the Packers are ready to let go of Masthay. We went through this same thing last year after his crappy performance in 2014 . Mortell may give him a run for his money, but the coaches, with their excuses for Masthays continued poor play, seem to already think he is the guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was hoping to see the Packers invest a draft pick into a punter, late round. Someone like Riley Dixon. Now I know, you can find guys like Mortell in the UDFA pool, but drafting a punter not only helps to assure you get the punter you want, but it sends a message to us fans......."we are done with Masthay".

After giving up three picks to move up to draft Spriggs the team didn´t have enough selections to use on a punter in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After giving up three picks to move up to draft Spriggs the team didn´t have enough selections to use on a punter in my opinion.

Oh I agree, the way the draft unfolded, I wasn't expecting a punter to be picked with the Packers final pick in the 6th. However, I'm guessing if they really wanted a punter other then Mortell, they still could have figured out a trade to gain another pick. Much like ILB, either the Packers are content with their current situation at punter or have expectations for improvement.

Just like the play of our ILB group the past few years, if we see the same lack of production out that group in 2016 and our punter, it weakens the entire team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I agree, the way the draft unfolded, I wasn't expecting a punter to be picked with the Packers final pick in the 6th. However, I'm guessing if they really wanted a punter other then Mortell, they still could have figured out a trade to gain another pick. Much like ILB, either the Packers are content with their current situation at punter or have expectations for improvement.

A lot of current punters went undrafted so it´s more likely to find a decent one at the position in undrafted free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of current punters went undrafted so it´s more likely to find a decent one at the position in undrafted free agency.

Don't forget my second reason for wanting a bigger investment in a punter ;)

Given that only 3 punters were take in the draft, I am hopeful that the Packers found at least the 4th best to give Masthay some competition.

• Chargers: Drew Kaser, Texas A&M (Round 6, pick 179)
  • Broncos: Riley Dixon, Syracuse (Round 7, pick 228)
  • Jets: Loc Edwards, Sam Houston State (Round 7, pick 235)

A-RODGE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Masthay's problems go well past his shanking abilities. He also is prone to line drive punts and like someone else said he can't get it inside the 20, and the 10...forget about it. He is prone to awful punts that really hurt and rarely does he get a great punt that helps out the defense.

We need a punter that doesn't make mistakes, has the ability to pin a team down, and is consistent. Of which Masthay features none of those qualities. We don't need an amazing punter(though I wish we did), but we have to have a reliable guy. Masthay has had the job far too long.

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as some want Masthay gone he's got a 44.2 yds/punt 6-year career average. Mortell's 3-year collegiate average is 43.98 yds/punt. Competition will be a good thing for Masthay, but IMHO Mortell has an uphill battle to make the team. Love his sense of humor!

Check out Masthays college stats compared to Mortells....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Check out Masthays college stats compared to Mortells....

Not sure where you are going with this......

Masthay last played college ball in 2008, his average was 40.1 yds/kick

Mortell, a much younger leg, averaged 44 yds/kick

Masthay was a pretty decent punter his first 4 or so years in GB, but has since gone downhill.

RyanO4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where you are going with this......

Masthay last played college ball in 2008, his average was 40.1 yds/kick

Mortell, a much younger leg, averaged 44 yds/kick

Masthay was a pretty decent punter his first 4 or so years in GB, but has since gone downhill.

I am saying Mortell had a better college career and will give Masthay a run for his money. Personally, I think Masthay needs to go since he has been average at best and inconsistent at times.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am saying Mortell had a better college career and will give Masthay a run for his money. Personally, I think Masthay needs to go since he has been average at best and inconsistent at times.

Wont get many arguments from me that Masthay's time is up. I know there are a lot more stats then just yds/kick that determine how good a punter is. Something obviously Zook looks at in evaluating Masthay. But just the casual observer can use the eye test on this guy and see something isn't right. His longest kicks seem to come from 50 yards on in....they go into or out of the endzone when they should be pinning a team back. His worst kicks tend to happen from the Packer side of the 40, where again, your punter needs to help win the field position battle and a shanked punt doesn't do that.

So I don't care if he is the best damn holder in the league and Crosby wants him there for just that job, either he starts doing the job that a good punter does or he should be gone. Mortell would also make about 1/3 the salary that Masthay will make.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am saying Mortell had a better college career and will give Masthay a run for his money.
I disagree. Masthay's 4 year collegiate punting stats were:
2005 - 36.4 yds/punt
2006 - 39.2 yds/punt
2007 - 39.8 yds/punt
2008 - 45.2 yds/punt
Punting wasn't his only duty as he was also Kentucky's kick-off kicker. Improvement is what you want to see in a young guy, which he did. Mortell's averages were: 43.3, 45.1, and 43.4 yds/punt... which means he's plateau'd (senior year hs averaged 44.8 yds/punt). Don't know if he physically matured early or was just a darned good high school/collegiate kicker but hasn't improved in the last 4 years.

Both Masthay & Mortell are very smart and active in the community... may the best man win the job for the long term.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2005 - 36.4 yds/punt
2006 - 39.2 yds/punt
2007 - 39.8 yds/punt
2008 - 45.2 yds/punt
Punting wasn't his only duty as he was also Kentucky's kick-off kicker. Improvement is what you want to see in a young guy, which he did. Mortell's averages were: 43.3, 45.1, and 43.4 yds/punt... which means he's plateau'd (senior year hs averaged 44.8 yds/punt). Don't know if he physically matured early or was just a darned good high school/collegiate kicker but hasn't improved in the last 4 years.

Both Masthay & Mortell are very smart and active in the community... may the best man win the job for the long term.

As I was saying, so much more goes into evaluating a punter then just average. One thing I noticed on Masthay's stats was his kicks inside the 20.

2015: 81 punts 18 inside 20
2014: 49, 14
2013: 64, 22
2012: 70, 30
2011: 55, 23
2010: 71, 25

Again though, this is just one stat and can be skewed by more or less opportunities to actually punt a ball inside the 20. So its really hard to look at just pure stats and get the full picture. But I think most fans are seeing what I am seeing, a guy that isn't doing that good of a job.

D

Deleted member 6794

2005 - 36.4 yds/punt
2006 - 39.2 yds/punt
2007 - 39.8 yds/punt
2008 - 45.2 yds/punt

You've got a valid point about Masthay improving during his senior year but Mortell has been consistent for three seasons. I expect it to be a close battle well into training camp before the coaching staff will decide with which punter to go.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You've got a valid point about Masthay improving during his senior year but Mortell has been consistent for three seasons. I expect it to be a close battle well into training camp before the coaching staff will decide with which punter to go.

My mind was made up last year and Mortell wasn't even a factor in it. I can't remember the game(s) but with our offense struggling, which they did a lot of and our Defense holding up their end, we just kept losing more and more field position strictly on punts, to the point where the Packers were pinned behind their own 10. It wasn't wind factoring into to it either, just one team having a better punter. On the surface, it never really looks like a Punter wins or loses a game for you, but those lost yards start accumulating and IMO can be the deciding factor in a close game.

Members online

Latest posts