Media continues to make something out of nothing

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
linky dinky:

Favre Backing Out of Golf Tourney; Back in NFL?

NBC’s feeling mighty good about its golf ratings, thanks to Tiger Woods & the U.S. Open. But the Peacock’s promise of extending that success took a slight slice, as Brett Favre might be backing out of a celebrity tournament.

The CHICAGO TRIBUNE reports that the (still) retired (so far) Green Bay QB had agreed to take part in next month’s American Century Celebrity Golf Championship in Lake Tahoe. (Well, not actually in the lake, but near it.) But last Friday, Brett’s reps emailed NBC that Favre was “probably not coming” due to a “scheduling conflict.”

Tourney spokesman Phil Weidinger said that the reps didn’t elaborate on what exactly the conflict was. Wonder what it could be?

Maybe … Favre’s planning on coming back to the Pack?

Weidinger said Tuesday he didn’t know if Favre’s “conflict” could have anything to do with the possibility the three-time NFL MVP might end up returning next season.

Training camps will be in full swing by mid-July. And by then, Favre’s itch to get back onto Lambeau Field may develop into a full-blown rash.

On the other hand, Brett would be blowing the opportunity to tee it up with such sports stars as Michael Jordan, Mario Lemieux, Jerry Rice and Charles Barkley. And it’s not as if the golf outing would be a distraction to the gridiron, since current Cowboys QB Tony Romo also plans on attending.

Or maybe Brett’s realized that he just doesn’t like golf.

We personally encourage Favre to fly out to Tahoe for the tournament. He’s already given up his softball game, let’s hope he doesn’t skimp out on another charity sporting event.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I love the media. Let the man do what he wants with his free time now. This isn't going to end until Rodgers takes his first snap in the regular season, and hell, even then people will speculate.

If he has a bad game - Favre rumors
If he gets hurt - Favre rumors

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We personally encourage Favre to fly out to Tahoe for the tournament. He’s already given up his softball game, let’s hope he doesn’t skimp out on another charity sporting event.

that ****** me off. Let the man go.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish brett could actually come back to training camp to help a bit just to be around you know ... just to see the new wave of OMG HIS BACK from the reporters lol 2 funny

packerfan22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said when he did his retirement speech that he would be taking a year off so I don't get why this artical was even made. if the author payed attention he would know that Farve wouldn't be doing much for this next year. I am sure the "schedualing conflict" was just his nice way of saying "I don't want to go."

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

the media are Idiots and have nothing better to do with their pitiful lives...

That is putting many people in a single group or class of people.

That is a silly thing to do. Posts like this just **** me off. Forgive me, ban me, or lock the thread... I do not really give a Rat's *** when I read a post like this.

Perhaps you have never read a sports column by Mitch Albom, or his remarkable books "Tuesday's With Morrie" or "The Five People You Meet In Heaven."

Mitch is not an idiot and a has nothing else to do with his pitifull life.

Perhaps you have never read or met the late Jim Murray of the Los Angeles Times. Perhaps you never read the remarkable column he wrote, not as a sports writer but as a husband in grief.

Read this the column below.... Then tell me Jim Murray a member of the sports media had a pitiful life.

I dare you... Read the whole column he wrote below.

Then tell me this member of the media was an idiot, and had nothing else to do with his pitifull life.

The Los Angeles Times; Los Angeles, Calif.; Aug 18, 1998; Jim Murray;

(Copyright, The Times Mirror Company; Los Angeles Times 1998 all Rights reserved)

Jim Murray:

This is the column I never wanted to write, the story I never wanted to tell.

I lost my lovely Gerry the other day. I lost the sunshine and roses, all right, the laughter in the other room. I lost the smile that lit up my life.

God loved Gerry. Everybody loved Gerry. She never went 40 seconds without smiling in her life. She smiled when she was dying. She smiled at life and all the people in it. When you thought of Gerry, you smiled.

She had these big gorgeous brown eyes and they were merry all the time and they looked at you with such trust and happiness. She never looked down or away. She never did anything to be ashamed of. Nothing. Never. She never did anything she didn't think God wanted her to do. She was in charge of smiling for Him.

She never grew old and now, she never will. She wouldn't have anyway. She had four children, this rogue husband, a loving family and this great wisdom and great heart, but I always saw her as this little girl running across a field with a swimming suit on her arm, on a summer day on the way to the gravel pit for an afternoon of swimming and laughing. Life just bubbled out of Gerry. We cry for ourselves. Wherever she is today, they can't believe their good luck.

I don't mean to inflict my grief on you, but she deserves to be known by anyone who knows me. She has a right to this space more than any athlete who ever lived. I would not be here if it weren't for her. I feel like half a person without Gerry. For once, I don't exaggerate. No hyperbole. If there was a Hall of Fame for people, she would be No. 1. She was a champion at living.

She never told a lie in her life. And she didn't think anyone else did. Deceit puzzled her. Dishonesty dismayed her. She thought people were good. Around her, surprisingly, they were. Her kindness was legendary.

She loved God. I mean, He made the trees, the flowers. He made children, didn't He? And color and song, and above all, babies. She knew He'd take care of her.

She loved babies. Anybody's. She played the piano like a dream. Ask any of the football coaches, the basketball players, baseball pitchers or just newspapermen who leaned across their drinks and implored her for one more chorus of "Melancholy Baby." She played "Galway Bay" every St. Patrick's Day for a maudlin husband who wept over a moonrise he'd never seen or a sunset that existed only in a glass and an ice cube. She was fun.

She wasn't afraid to die. She didn't want to. But she knew she'd see the mother she lost, the son she lost. In a place where she could never lose them again.

You have funny ways of remembering things. The thing I remember clearest today, for some reason, is the habit she had of leaving notes for the kids when she was only going to be gone for the shortest times, the briefest moments. She would leave these notes on a table in this huge lettering, for her handwriting was like her heart, large and overflowing and joyous. "Gone to store," it would say. "Be right back, Love, Mom." She didn't want the kids to think they were without her love for even a few minutes.

She has left no notes this time. But she has, as usual, left her love.

There is a line at the end of "Alice in Wonderland" that always hurt me to read because it reminded me of my Gerry. Alice's sister is dreaming of Alice: "Lastly, she pictures to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even a dream of Wonderland of long ago; and how she would feel with all their simple joys, remembering her own child life, and the happy summer days."

Gerry took the magic and the summer with her. It wasn't supposed to be this way. I was supposed to die first. We would have been married for 39 years this year and we thought that was just the natural order of things. I had my speech all ready. I was going to look into her brown eyes and tell her something I should have long ago. I was going to tell her, "It was a privilege just to have known you."

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dramatic, maybe, but accurate. How's it feel to get shotdown Califpacker?

To the task at hand, it's the media's job to bring us news. When it seems like they are terrible at it, be thankful because that means that there is no REAL news to report.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the task at hand, it's the media's job to bring us news. When it seems like they are terrible at it, be thankful because that means that there is no REAL news to report.

Good point. As dumb as this article was, it's encouraging that nobody else seems to have picked up on the "maybe Favre is coming back" angle. That's a sign of progress.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre WILL be back.....On opening night against the Vikings....Brett is going to parachute down right as Aaron Rodgers enters the field. Brett will kick him to the ground as he lands, hand him a clipboard and a visor, gear up, and run on the field to take the first snap..

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I have to say, this is the most pathetic attempt of speculation by the media yet. Of course, a canceling of any appearance means you're coming back to the NFL, I definitely see where those lines meet :roll: wtf? Sure, I'd love to live my fantasies out as well, which include Brett returning, but I do have some bite of reality

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre WILL be back.....On opening night against the Vikings....Brett is going to parachute down right as Aaron Rodgers enters the field. Brett will kick him to the ground as he lands, hand him a clipboard and a visor, gear up, and run on the field to take the first snap..

Why not just go all the way and say Favre is an immortal from some other dimension who will play every game for the Packers for the rest of eternity. Even after the Earth dies, he will be standing on the charred piece of earth where Lambeau field once stood and throwing rocket balls at passing meteorites.

This speculation is ridiculous. Let the man rest and LET AARON PLAY.

Sadie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is not coming back, I don't understand why this rumor keeps resurfacing. He deserves all the praise in the world but this Rodgers' time to shine. There will be life after Favre as hard as that is to believe.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Loved Aaron from the start huh?

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, it was me stating that I had a feeling he would try to come back. It was only a week or two after this reports came out of his desire to return. I thought at the time he wasn't done. He basically did try pulling this off.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh FFS. Favre is retired and happly retired at that. I guess these "news" reporters have some nostalgia ******* of seeing the old gunslinger back in action one more time.

Edit Oh I dident know this was a ****ing old as bones article. Why are people bumping old *** threads.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Loved Aaron from the start huh?

Why did you feel the need to bump a 6 year old thread? Dude come on its time to move on mate. Favre isnt coming back. You need to accept it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did you feel the need to bump a 6 year old thread? Dude come on its time to move on mate. Favre isnt coming back. You need to accept it.

In another thread the poster said he was always behind favre. I decided to point out a certain post from years ago.

To be fair it was in the news the other day that Favre said he got calls last year from a team

Members online

Latest posts