1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Mcnabb is traded to the vikings

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by armand34, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah McNabb's number one target is going to be Percy Harvin as of now. Yikes. Whats that??

Smells like hot garbage

2. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
  3. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    The good thing for Vikings fans is they won't have football this season so they can take extra jobs or pay more attention to their families.
    The bad thing for Packer fans is after the season every other teams fans in the playoffs will be saying "Yea, but you guys played the Vikings TWICE"
    I wish I could somehow find enough sympathy in my entire being to say I feel sorry for anybody over there, you know AP or anybody. NOPE!

4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +832
    This is great news. He sucks these days and he is a divider and not a uniter which is not good......for them. There are going to be lots of interception opportunities with him and bad body language Cutler in the division.

5. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Ponder now has a mentor. Just like how Rodgers developed under Favre, now maybe, just maybe, Ponder will learn from Mcnabb.

6. AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan Section 121 Row 47

Ratings:
    +339
    If I were a Viking fan.....I wouldn't even turn my tv on this season. Its going to be brutal finishing behind the Lions again.

7. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +465

You mean there are still some in existence?

8. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +465
    Not tonight, he has a headache.

9. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339

Yeah, a few in Chaska, Brainerd, and Interantional Falls.

10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039
    So James Jones is close to being a Viking? wow

11. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    If they have any sense they will. They need to keep Ponder once he develops and make a franchise QB out of him. Use these next few years to rebuild the team and concentrate on the draft. That team needs to be overhauled, but with Ponder, I can actually see a future for them.

12. AllouezPackerFan

Ratings:
    +339
    I wonder how much mentoring Brett Favre actually did for Aaron Rodgers. My guess is not very much.

13. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,039
    I cant imagine anything he would say would be very useful. cue the joke about throwing into triple coverage.

14. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    You betcha! The worst part about it is that you always hear that in comparing QBs, "you know AR had the time to learn and develop behind one of the greats". Well if that's true, how come he's not an interception machine like BrInt?
    Further, if Brint is such a good developer of his backups, how come the Viqueens are bringing in McNabb after their QBs had the tutelage of the master?

15. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I know you're being sarcastic, but don't compare McNabb with Favre. McNabb knows what kind of instance his career is, and isn't delusional to what's his role in the organization.

He may be washed up, but he's a leader and a great teammate. McNabb will help Ponder. And though McNabb was never a traditional QB, he did develop a lot under Andy Reid, he will be able to teach Ponder some key points.

Of course, player mentoring is extremely overrated anyways. It's the positional coach's job to teach a guy how to play. The only major thing a veteran QB can teach a young QB is how to behave himself on the field, in the huddle, in the film room, etc... But even so, a strong case can be made that if a guy is not willing to listen, there's nothing a "mentor" can do. And, moreso, if the guy doesn't know right now how to behave in a team, he'll never be able to lead. Leadership is a inherent trait.

tl;dr: McNabb is not Favre, he will help Ponder, but there's only so much a veteran QB can help a young QB. It's more on the coaching staff.