McGinn's article on Burnett on JSOnline...

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw it this morning although it's dated yesterday. It's a decent piece, with no real Earth-shattering news. If you missed it, it's worth a read for the quotes from safeties coach Darren Perry alone, if nothing else. In the space of a few short paragraphs he uses the words/phrases "kill shot," "decapitate," and "busted up." That's my kinda talk.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw it this morning although it's dated yesterday. It's a decent piece, with no real Earth-shattering news. If you missed it, it's worth a read for the quotes from safeties coach Darren Perry alone, if nothing else. In the space of a few short paragraphs he uses the words/phrases "kill shot," "decapitate," and "busted up." That's my kinda talk.

Unfortunately Perry wasn't using words/phrases "kill shot", "decapitate" and "busted up" to describe Burnett. Words/phrases to describe Burnett would be TIMID, SOFT, AFRAID OF CONTACT. I posted on this forum a couple of weeks ago about Burnett being Soft and I got crucified. It sounds like Perry agrees with me and has concerns about Burnett being too timid and avoiding contact. Even mentions that if he doesn't toughen up he could be out of the league in 2-3 years. I didn't like the draft pick at the time especially giving up a 4th to move up to get this guy. That was the big knock on him in college(afraid of contact, very timid.) Not the makings of a strong safety. I just don't understand how you could have read the article and came away with a positive spin on it. Your post is misleading. If another poster doesn't take the time to read it and just goes by what you are saying they will think Perry was describing Burnett with kill shot, decapitate and busted up. And that is misleading. Burnett is timid, very soft and will always be afraid of contact.

OP
OP
Big Dan

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly wasn't meant to be misleading. Take it easy. I guess should have said: In the space of a few short paragraphs he uses the words/phrases "kill shot," "decapitate," and "busted up," although he used them in describing what he'd like to see more of from Burnett.

My positive is with Perry. It's nice to hear someone actually talking about good, hard, football. My jury's still out on Burnett, no matter how you feel about him or felt about the pick.

The real irony here is how misleading your reply is. To read what you say without reading the article, one would assume that Perry totally ripped on Burnett and threw him under the bus. I didn't see it like that. I saw it as a good, honest evaluation of a rookie safety making his first start.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly wasn't meant to be misleading. Take it easy. I guess should have said: In the space of a few short paragraphs he uses the words/phrases "kill shot," "decapitate," and "busted up," although he used them in describing what he'd like to see more of from Burnett.

My positive is with Perry. It's nice to hear someone actually talking about good, hard, football. My jury's still out on Burnett, no matter how you feel about him or felt about the pick.

The real irony here is how misleading your reply is. To read what you say without reading the article, one would assume that Perry totally ripped on Burnett and threw him under the bus. I didn't see it like that. I saw it as a good, honest evaluation of a rookie safety making his first start.

There is nothing misleading about my reply when it comes to Burnett's style of play. Your post tells what Perry would like to see in a strong safety. I like the fact Perry wants more of a force at that position. From reading the article it seems like Perry has his concerns about Burnett ever being that kind of player. I read the article and when describing Burnett's play words such as timid and soft kept coming up. Several scouts leading up to the draft were saying that about Burnett and even Perry admitted in the article that Burnett was playing timid and shied away from contact. Maybe you need to go back and read the article.

OP
OP
Big Dan

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps we didn't read the same article. The one I read was kinda like this.

Headline of article: Coaches not worried about Burnett's tentativeness

Last line of second paragraph: A more aggressive Burnett will be evident the more he plays, the coaches said.

Paragraph 6: But Perry didn't think Burnett was timid against the Eagles. "No, I wouldn't say that," he said. "I think probably more cautious than anything else."

Paragraph 19: Perry said it was "way, way too early" for anyone to have reservations about Burnett.

Further down: We don't want him to be tentative back there. First time out of the gate, I think there was a little tentativeness in terms of reacting."

The only place the word "timid" was used was when Perry said that Burnett was NOT timid, but tentative. I also didn't see the word "soft" anywhere in there. If my original post was taken as a ringing endorsement of Burnett, it wasn't meant to be. You've obviously got some pre-conceived notions about Burnett, and after scanning the boards for about 4 minutes, I realized you're pretty much just an argumentative little *****. I'm not real into "keyboard commando" ********. You'll have to argue by yourself. I don't think I'll last long here anyways, if you represent the quality of the members here.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Whoa boys, simmer down. I didn't see any negative plays from Burnett last Sunday, so I can't really say i dislike him. I love me some hard hitting Bob Sanders/Troy Palamalu type players, so I'd love to see those magic words applied in context to Burnett. Hopefully with some proper coaching, Perry can help him make that transition.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not going to lie.. i did see a play where burnett looked like cromartie on the charges whiffing on a tackle real bad.. it looked like he did not want to hit him on that play.. i was watchin him the whole game because i was thinking the same thing and when i saw that play red flags came up..i hope it changes but i think he may be soft as well

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately Perry wasn't using words/phrases "kill shot", "decapitate" and "busted up" to describe Burnett. Words/phrases to describe Burnett would be TIMID, SOFT, AFRAID OF CONTACT. I posted on this forum a couple of weeks ago about Burnett being Soft and I got crucified. It sounds like Perry agrees with me and has concerns about Burnett being too timid and avoiding contact. Even mentions that if he doesn't toughen up he could be out of the league in 2-3 years. I didn't like the draft pick at the time especially giving up a 4th to move up to get this guy. That was the big knock on him in college(afraid of contact, very timid.) Not the makings of a strong safety. I just don't understand how you could have read the article and came away with a positive spin on it. Your post is misleading. If another poster doesn't take the time to read it and just goes by what you are saying they will think Perry was describing Burnett with kill shot, decapitate and busted up. And that is misleading. Burnett is timid, very soft and will always be afraid of contact.
This is just a rant, a hate post about a player you have only seen play ONE TIME.

This may have been the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen. I can't block your comments, because I'm a mod and I need to pay attention to everything people write in here, but if I could, I would.

In fact, I strongly suggest people do it.

OP
OP
Big Dan

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My apologies to the board for blowing up. That's not quite the first impression I'd like to make. I took the advice of PackersRS and blocked packerbob, so at least there'll be no more nonsense between he and I.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its all gravy. I think that Burnett has played pretty well considering he is starting as a rookie on a complicaated defense. Could he play better? Sure. Will he get better? I would say definitely.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just a rant, a hate post about a player you have only seen play ONE TIME.

This may have been the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen. I can't block your comments, because I'm a mod and I need to pay attention to everything people write in here, but if I could, I would.

In fact, I strongly suggest people do it.

I think it is unfair for you to tell other posters to block me. I am just as much a packer fan as anyone else. The reason I critisize certain players, coaches and front office decisions is because I believe it is important as a fan to express their opinions rather positive or negative. On Big Dan's post all I did was express my opinion which differed from his. Not once did I attack Big Dan personally or any other poster. Big Dan did however personally attack me by calling me a little pri** . So you are saying it's OK to attack other posters but don't say anything bad about the GREEN BAY PACKERS. I think you should go back and read some opinions including yours right after the Mike Neal selection on draft night. Those negative Ted Thompson coments areOK but I can't critisize a player who I feel is afraid of contact. Are you telling me and all other posters that we can't express a negative opinion toward the team. I'm not a Viking troll coming over here to trash the Packers. I'm a Packer fan, but I like to express how I feel towards the team. I appreciate reading other posters honest opinions, rather positive or negative. It makes for interesting discussion. Now because of your advice I can no longer discuss Packer football with Big Dan or anybody else who decides to block me.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
You did come down pretty ******* Big Dan PackerBob. He was just giving a heads up about an article. You should try to be a little more tactful. ITs easy to misinterpret strong statements as a personal attack. I didn't block you.

I also think that aggressiveness and tackling is teachable. speed, range, goods hands, and athleticism can't. I think he'll get better. Just his first NFL game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is unfair for you to tell other posters to block me. I am just as much a packer fan as anyone else. The reason I critisize certain players, coaches and front office decisions is because I believe it is important as a fan to express their opinions rather positive or negative. On Big Dan's post all I did was express my opinion which differed from his. Not once did I attack Big Dan personally or any other poster. Big Dan did however personally attack me by calling me a little pri** . So you are saying it's OK to attack other posters but don't say anything bad about the GREEN BAY PACKERS. I think you should go back and read some opinions including yours right after the Mike Neal selection on draft night. Those negative Ted Thompson coments areOK but I can't critisize a player who I feel is afraid of contact. Are you telling me and all other posters that we can't express a negative opinion toward the team. I'm not a Viking troll coming over here to trash the Packers. I'm a Packer fan, but I like to express how I feel towards the team. I appreciate reading other posters honest opinions, rather positive or negative. It makes for interesting discussion. Now because of your advice I can no longer discuss Packer football with Big Dan or anybody else who decides to block me.
That's the advice I give people when I sense a troll.

And when you, based on one game and a personal opinion, says that a player is SOFT and AFRAID OF CONTACT, that, in my book, is troll tactic.

In fact, most of your posts have been nothing but bashing on players for no absolute reason, with no facts whatsoever. It's not about attacking packers. Go take a loo at what I've written about Colledge, or Bush, or Hawk. But I base what I write.

I can't take actions for other people, and you haven't violated any rule in here. No sanctions have crossed my mind, because you have done nothing wrong. TECHNICALLY.

It may look like it's personal, but I don't know you, I have no idea who you are, so why would I personally attack you?

Your MO annoys me, though, and every time I sense a troll, I will act accordingly.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are two kinds if safeties, ball hawk coverage safeties, and hard hitting run stop safeties. Burnett is the coverage type. Last year when we had bigby, we were complaining bout his lack of coverage skills. Now were complaining about burnett's lack of run stopping power. You gotta pick one or the other. I mean ya, you get the few perfect hybrids like Polomalu, but I mean that's pretty rare. I'm happy with burnett. Offenses like ours that should be able to pour on the points (I say should because we haven't played as well as we should yet) need a more pass stoppage defense anyways. Think of it like this. The colts have a really high powered offense. Their d line is undersized, but really fast and can get to the qb, but against the run... eh... They do this because they know that people will not be running on them much since they should put up enough points that teams will try and play catch up and pass just to keep up with the colts. Same with us, at least it should be similar, except here were talkin bout a safety and not a d line.

Members online

Latest posts