McGinn harshly criticizes Rodgers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

While watching the Bill Walsh "A Football Life" last night, I was reminded of the fact that after his first 2 Super Bowl wins the 49ers were one-and-done in their next 3 playoff appearances.

The 49ers "finesse" game did not stand up against the rough-and-tumble Ditka Bears and Parcell Giants, or so they said. In particular, the 49ers simply couldn't score against the Giants on the road. Parallels?

The 49ers won the next two Superbowls.

At various times under Walsh, the elder DeBartolo wanted to fire him, Walsh considered quitting, and Montana was either benched for awhile or used in a semi-platoon with Young from time to time. At one point Walsh was drawing up plays where the first receiver in the progression for Montana would be a slant and for Young a post.

I'm not saying it's certain the Packers will win more Superbowls with Rodgers. But this example illustrates that the road is long and can be get very messy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes a good case, and with some examples- such as Adams wide open- I wasn't aware of.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most everything McGinn wrote, I'm afraid. Rodgers had 1 great half out of 4 in this playoffs, the other 3 were simply bad. And let's not talk about the last 3 years in the playoffs.

The only reservation I have about McGinn's opinion is Rodgers' injury. That may have had a lot more of an effect on his throwing than Rodgers' wanted to admit. It could be that Rodgers' didn't want to give excuses, and if so, I hope to see a more determined AR next year than ever. I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brutally honest totally true. Rodgers plays a decent game Green Bay wins by 30+. Hopefully "we'll fix this"

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with that article.

Rodgers has played in 11 playoff games now, and he's only been great in 3.5 of them (Arizona in 2009, Atlanta in 2010, Pittsburgh in 2010, and the second half of Dallas in 2014). More often than not, Rodgers doesn't play well in big games.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was also playing on 1 leg. He could have played much better though even on that 1 leg. I am torn on whether I want him to open it up more and stop worrying about INT's all season. He hits home runs ALOT on those "free plays" because he has no fear of an INT with the defensive penalty being the worst case scenario. However, they have won 4 division titles with that mindset.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't been on one leg for most of the playoff games he's come up small in. A number that's uncomfortably high for someone who's widely considered the best QB in the game.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn is wrong.

Rodgers was not "solid" in the NFC Championship game in Chicago in 2011. He had a 55 rating, threw 2 picks including one inside the 10 yard line to Urlacher and the offense scored 14 points.

The Packers won that game because of their defense.

No bigger fan of Aaron Rodgers than myself, but the gist of McGinn's article is correct. Aaron needs to play better in the playoffs.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn is wrong.

Rodgers was not "solid" in the NFC Championship game in Chicago in 2011. He had a 55 rating, threw 2 picks including one inside the 10 yard line to Urlacher and the offense scored 14 points.

The Packers won that game because of their defense.

Agree, against any other team we lose that game. Thankfully we were playing the pathetic Bears and Jay Cutler.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok where is the artical about the defense and how they need to play better? I'm not defending Rodgers but even with one healthy leg he outplayed Wilson for 55 minutes ...IMO if mM calls a better game the Packers are in the SB even with the defense collapse the last 6 mins of the game. Rodgers is good enough take over a game at anytime and he needs to have that mindset especially in the playoffs. I'll blame this one on being 70% and dumb play calling.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers being a one time champ is a real possibility. This was our best chance since 2011, and I doubt we are so fortunate when it comes to injuries next year. We were probably the healthiest team in the league. Who did we lose? Raji in the preseason, House and Shields for a couple of games each and that was about it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers being a one time champ is a real possibility. This was our best chance since 2011, and I doubt we are so fortunate when it comes to injuries next year. We were probably the healthiest team in the league. Who did we lose? Raji in the preseason, House and Shields for a couple of games each and that was about it.

This is the thing. Depending on how well they respond to the loss at Seattle, it's likely that key young players will improve and the team will be able to address it's few needs with at least some degree of success. Injuries, as always, will be the great X factor.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to blame this loss on the defense with 5 take aways and holding the other team to 22 PTs

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the thing. Depending on how well they respond to the loss at Seattle, it's likely that key young players will improve and the team will be able to address it's few needs with at least some degree of success. Injuries, as always, will be the great X factor.

I really, really hope you are correct.

However, if certain key young players do not improve much next season (and we have plenty of examples of that happening in Bostick, Boykin, Tretter, and Hayward and to a lesser extent Perry, D. Jones, and Hayward) or if one or more of our key pieces from this year (Bulaga, T. Williams, Peppers, or God forbid Cobb) is not with the team, I could very well see the Pack not being as good in 2015.

And that is not even accounting for injuries. Does anyone really think the Pack will have all 22 preferred starters available in game 1 and in the playoffs, which is what occurred in 2014?

The Pack could respond to the loss in Seattle with all the resolve in the world and still not make it back to where they were.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

You're right about the health of 2014 team. In total starters missed a combined 29 games this season (18 of those by Raji).

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok where is the artical about the defense and how they need to play better? I'm not defending Rodgers but even with one healthy leg he outplayed Wilson for 55 minutes ...IMO if mM calls a better game the Packers are in the SB even with the defense collapse the last 6 mins of the game. Rodgers is good enough take over a game at anytime and he needs to have that mindset especially in the playoffs. I'll blame this one on being 70% and dumb play calling.
Agree completely. Why the reliance on him having to single-handedly win every game for us? This year, hurt and playing on the road in bad weather. Maybe he could have done more if he had actually had the ball in his hands more in the second half. There are three men fully responsible for this year's fail and none of them have the last name Rodgers.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season showed how good things go without Rodgers. When you're the big man on campus, big things are expected of you. As Rodgers goes, so go the Packers.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the right time to post this. I guess this is it.

I was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas. All we have here in this city professionally is an NBA team called the Spurs. Great team. Even greater players and coaches. Most of them previous champions from earlier years.

2013. The Spurs finally climb the mountain of the Western Conference and get back to the NBA Finals after a 6 year absence. As the series progresses, the Spurs set a Finals record for most 3 point shots made and have the defending champions in a elimination game. On the road, up 3 games to 2, with less than a minute to go for the franchise's 5th NBA Championship, this happened.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Spurs would lose in overtime and the next night, lose Game 7. I was devastated. The Spurs don't lose games like that. Once they have a lead in the waning moments of a game, the experience and teamwork shines through and they pull it out, always.

As the devastation subsided, I told friends and family, "Well, they have better rebound and put that loss behind them because if they don't, that loss will haunt this franchise until they win another title and if they don't, it will haunt them forever.

2014. The first day of training camp, Coach Pop sits the entire team down in the film room and makes them watch Game 6 of the previous years NBA Finals in it's entirety. The point was, it wasn't the last minute of Game 6 that cost them the title, it was the entire game.

The Spurs used the loss as motivation, finished the season with the NBA's best record and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs. In the playoffs, they once again reached the Western Conference mountaintop and set up a rematch with the 2 time defending champions. This time, the Spurs had the home court advantage.

The Spurs left no doubt. They defeated the Miami Heat in 5 games, 4-1, playing some of the greatest basketball I've ever seen and setting an NBA Finals record for margin of victory.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

My point is the same. If the Packers can't put this behind them, it's going to haunt them until they win a title or forever. It's not Rodgers fault, it's not the defense's fault, it's not Bostick's fault. It was the TEAM'S fault. The Pack can learn a thing or 2 from the Spurs, get over it and come back next year better and stronger than ever.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season showed how good things go without Rodgers. When you're the big man on campus, big things are expected of you. As Rodgers goes, so go the Packers.
An overblown expectation of only one player is a problem. I would be willing to bet he would have more success if he did his own play calling.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, which leads us to the next question. Rodgers referred- rather indirectly- to the team not being aggressive enough.
He supposedly has the authority to call his own audibles/plays.
Why didn't he?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This is exactly how the faction that became the Favre haters got started. Next, certain individuals will be speculating as to when Ted will draft Aaron's replacement. Pretty soon, Rodgers won't be able to dress well enough to pacify "the critics".

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Shall we just divide into camps now and get the fight started?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're overreacting a little Weeds. The questions are legit based on performance and results. 'Hating'- at least for me- doesn't have anything to do with it.
IMO, Favre was a lightning rod, a lot of that having to do with his actions off the field as well as on. Specifically, the retiring/not retiring schtick.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly how the faction that became the Favre haters got started. Next, certain individuals will be speculating as to when Ted will draft Aaron's replacement. Pretty soon, Rodgers won't be able to dress well enough to pacify "the critics".

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Shall we just divide into camps now and get the fight started?

I think Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Favre.

I do not want Ted to draft Aaron's replacement this season, or next, or the one after that (barring a significant injury).

However, I can't ignore that in the playoffs Favre was 12-10 with one super bowl victory and one loss and Rodgers is 6-5 (exact same winning percentage) with one super bowl win.

Facts are facts.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, which leads us to the next question. Rodgers referred- rather indirectly- to the team not being aggressive enough.
He supposedly has the authority to call his own audibles/plays.
Why didn't he?
I've been wondering that for a week (especially the run play on 3rd and 16 ). Is it possible MM had him on a tight leash in that game to keep him from doing anything too risky, either game-wise or injury-wise?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts