McCarthys trend...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy came here young (and green) We were rebuilding, rookie coaches, and a hecktic QB transition period. We went through the growing pains. from competitive, to really good. A couple times we did this.

I noticed Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and Rodger ALL learned from their mistakes and got better every year.

Now we are peaking. The whole system is well oiled. Tallent boiling over. Leadership. Coaching. salary cap. everything built for long haul, and tuned to be great... So the question lies... Will McCarthy learn from his mistake, and learn to go for the kill? Will he learn to keep punching until they stop moving??? I think he will. His record shows he will.

And on that thought process. can you imagine this offense, if it were run to destroy teams? Right now we are destroying teams on a good sunday afternoon. Rodgers got benched in the 3rd quarter a 2 or 3 times this year... Can you imagine we have Davante Adams break out. We resign Cobb. Nelson leads. Lacy takes 10 yard chunks by land or by air. Richard Rodgers breaks out, and becomes the giant he is destined to be. And Rodgers with a no holds bared, chip on his shoulder, blood in his mouth thirst for TDs.......

Records will fall. Championships will be had. It all starts with McCarthy fine tuning his ruthlessness...

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I Like the optimism. I really hope MM and the organization learns from this. Last playoff OT thriller was the arizona face-mask, and the next year the pack went on to win the Super Bowl. I guess we'll see how the organization / coaching staff and next years roster responds. Tough to get back to the NFCCG..

D

Deleted member 6794

Mike McCarthy came here young (and green) We were rebuilding, rookie coaches, and a hecktic QB transition period. We went through the growing pains. from competitive, to really good. A couple times we did this.

I noticed Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and Rodger ALL learned from their mistakes and got better every year.

Now we are peaking. The whole system is well oiled. Tallent boiling over. Leadership. Coaching. salary cap. everything built for long haul, and tuned to be great... So the question lies... Will McCarthy learn from his mistake, and learn to go for the kill? Will he learn to keep punching until they stop moving??? I think he will. His record shows he will.

And on that thought process. can you imagine this offense, if it were run to destroy teams? Right now we are destroying teams on a good sunday afternoon. Rodgers got benched in the 3rd quarter a 2 or 3 times this year... Can you imagine we have Davante Adams break out. We resign Cobb. Nelson leads. Lacy takes 10 yard chunks by land or by air. Richard Rodgers breaks out, and becomes the giant he is destined to be. And Rodgers with a no holds bared, chip on his shoulder, blood in his mouth thirst for TDs.......

Records will fall. Championships will be had. It all starts with McCarthy fine tuning his ruthlessness...

I´m not sure about McCarthy being able to change. After the game he said he didn´t regret anything, if he was serious about that he will continue to get too conservative once we get the lead against really good teams.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure, now how many years under MM has this team been known for easing up and playing excessively conservative with leads? You don't break every bad habit.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Human nature- he won't learn a thing. Won't even consider the possibility that there's a problem. After 9 years, nothing will change.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was unwilling to be critical at all of himself in pressers so far, yet the chorus of fans, analysts all over the NFL and our best sportswriters Bob McGinn and Tyler Dunne have called out McCarthy for his passive, risk-averse, 'play-not-to-lose' game plan.

Is he going to to just ignore all of that, is he going to mouth a few of his usual meaningless platitudes, or is he going to seriously acknowledge what is being said about his less-than- stellar in-game coaching style?

I wonder.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was unwilling to be critical at all of himself in pressers so far, yet the chorus of fans, analysts all over the NFL and our best sportswriters Bob McGinn and Tyler Dunne have called out McCarthy for his passive, risk-averse, 'play-not-to-lose' game plan.

Is he going to to just ignore all of that, is he going to mouth a few of his usual meaningless platitudes, or is he going to seriously acknowledge what is being said about his less-than- stellar in-game coaching style?

I wonder.

Yeah, but you know he is quietly second guessing himself right now. He may not of been critical about himself publicly and to the media, but I can almost guarantee you that he is behind closed doors.

Just because you don't hear or see something, doesn't mean that its not there.

Last edited:

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy had plenty of time to come up with something for this game knowing his QB was not going to be mobile. I'am not saying take you best player off the field if he's healthy, but running off tackle and then kick field goals is BS. If you line up Cobb at QB at the goal line and let him run wildcat, or put Lacy and Starks back there with him and run wishbone Seattle would have no clue and their heads would still be spinning trying to stop it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy had plenty of time to come up with something for this game knowing his QB was not going to be mobile. I'am not saying take you best player off the field if he's healthy, but running off tackle and then kick field goals is BS. If you line up Cobb at QB at the goal line and let him run wildcat, or put Lacy and Starks back there with him and run wishbone Seattle would have no clue and their heads would still be spinning trying to stop it.
So says the guy that doesn't have to prove it on the field, doesn't have to take ownership of any play called and won't ever know if the play would actually work or not because it never happened. What on earth makes you think that Cobb and wildcat would screw up a team that runs the read option? And take the ball out of the best quarterback in the league's hands on the goal line? After all the *****ing people did when they used Peppers at the goal line one time and it didn't work, I"m surprised anyone would be in favor of using people in a role they don't play. Of course that has nothing to do with it, they just ***** about the things that don't work without any clue or reason as to the why or how.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea like using a holder to throw a TD.
which obviously GB had no clue was coming and was woefully unprepared for and done out of desperation because absolutely nothing had gone their way up to that point.

Contrast that with a GB offense that was moving the ball well all game, we punted 3 times. Was having no problems getting into scoring position and was confident enough to know they'd be back for another shot in another possession. You're saying they should have taken the ball out of Aaron Rodgers hands, put it in Randall Cobb's ( a guy that hasn't played qb on a single play in years) and run an offense that the best defensive team in the league practices against every single day of the season to catch them off guard? Brilliant! LOL

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give McCarthy an ultimatum. A superbowl berth next year or his *** is gone.

Not sure if you're serious there, but that would be dead foolish. You don't fire a coach who surpasses Vince Lombardi's win total in Green Bay, makes the playoffs 7-9 years in his coaching tenure, makes it to 3 NFCCGs, and wins a Superbowl. Just stupid idea and ridiculous to suggest it.

Now look, I'll give the caveat here that MM was wrong to pull out that FG unit on those 4th and inches plays, even Buck and Aikman were saying that just wasn't typical him. I expect when the Hawks come to Lambeau this next year we go all out melee on them and pull those off then. But a few bad calls here and there during games doesn't mean you fire a head coach, esp not one with a SB win to his name.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he thinks he's coaching for his job he might open it up a little.
It's seriously some of the dumbest ****. If you wanna see how well that works out in practice and execution go become a fan of the perennial losers of the NFL like the Raiders, Browns, Jets, etc.

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which obviously GB had no clue was coming and was woefully unprepared for and done out of desperation because absolutely nothing had gone their way up to that point.

Contrast that with a GB offense that was moving the ball well all game, we punted 3 times. Was having no problems getting into scoring position and was confident enough to know they'd be back for another shot in another possession. You're saying they should have taken the ball out of Aaron Rodgers hands, put it in Randall Cobb's ( a guy that hasn't played qb on a single play in years) and run an offense that the best defensive team in the league practices against every single day of the season to catch them off guard? Brilliant! LOL
Like Seattle would have had a clue what was coming.

jeg53

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So says the guy that doesn't have to prove it on the field, doesn't have to take ownership of any play called and won't ever know if the play would actually work or not because it never happened. What on earth makes you think that Cobb and wildcat would screw up a team that runs the read option? And take the ball out of the best quarterback in the league's hands on the goal line? After all the *****ing people did when they used Peppers at the goal line one time and it didn't work, I"m surprised anyone would be in favor of using people in a role they don't play. Of course that has nothing to do with it, they just ***** about the things that don't work without any clue or reason as to the why or how.
The fact that Seattle runs read option on offense make's you think their defense is preparing for it against a team that never runs it, your clueless.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Seattle runs read option on offense make's you think their defense is preparing for it against a team that never runs it, your clueless.
They'll still see it in practice. Not saying they'd have handled it just fine but they also wouldn't have been running around like chickens with their heads chopped off trying to defend it either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hyperbole aside, I agree with your general point. I see no reason why MM will not adjust his philosophy. Most coaches have a watershed moment at some point and given that he's a smart guy, I think there will be a different mindset from a lot of players and coaches next year. What doesn't kill me...

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wonder.
The fastest way for MM to change is if his players revolt. I think Favre would have insisted going for TD's on the two 4th down field goal attempts. I could see him calling time out and telling the coach HE is going back on the field. Aaron Rodgers is a bit too pampered and while a great QB he does not have the inner strength of Favre. The Packers had several chances to win but in the first quarter it was evident that MM gave up on his own men and felt they could not get the job done, a strong QB or even a team captain could have insisted to go, it has happened before that QB's virtually refused to yield to a field goal, a coach who is a real man would understand that burning desire but MM is not a real man, he was given a highly tuned engine but is afraid to run it hard. MM will not change, either TT tells him as written above it is all or nothing next season or the real team leaders in the locker room have enough strength to call him on his lack of faith in his team. New England may have played with deflated footballs but MM coached with HIS balls deflated and the team did not call him on it, now is the time he pump them up or pack his office and move on. Many GM's have fired coaches for less and if MM is back next year like I expect he better make sure his balls are inflated enough to let his team win.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a stubborn man.
He has proven that time and again, he has always declined to put the ax to the chickens neck, and instead play not to lose.
If there was a lesson to be learned, it will be lost on him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of clueless, they're in the same division as the 9er's, that had a pretty decent read option offense with much better players to run it than GB. I'm pretty sure they're coached against it quite a bit seeing as how they play them twice a year in the same division and all. Also pretty sure their coaches know the ins and outs of it a bit more since they not only face it, they also run it. But yeah, you're probably right, take the ball from Rodgers and Let Cobb be the QB, it will totally confuse them, LOL

Sky King

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a stubborn man.
He has proven that time and again, he has always declined to put the ax to the chickens neck, and instead play not to lose.
If there was a lesson to be learned, it will be lost on him.
That's been on my mind, as well. Until this past Sunday I did not have a lack of confidence in McCarthy. Now it is shaken. His team just became the all-time biggest chokers of the NFL playoffs and may be the current laughingstock of the league. But does he really care what sportswriters and football fans think? What his players may now think of his leadership ability could be another matter.

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's been on my mind, as well. Until this past Sunday I did not have a lack of confidence in McCarthy. Now it is shaken. His team just became the all-time biggest chokers of the NFL playoffs and may be the current laughingstock of the league. But does he really care what sportswriters and football fans think? What his players may now think of his leadership ability could be another matter.
Seriously?? We won the SB a couple of years ago!!! A lot of people need to turn in their fan cards. You guys are sounding like Viking fans.....smh

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously?? We won the SB a couple of years ago!!! A lot of people need to turn in their fan cards. You guys are sounding like Viking fans.....smh
I mean; it was the second largest lead blown in a NFL Championship game, ever. Second only to the Bobby Lane lead Lions of 1957 that came back on the Browns in the Conference Championship round.

Being down about it is well within a reasonable response. You're the one overstating things.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts