McCarthy's new contract: 5 years, about $4 million per

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080118/PKR01/80118131/1989/frontpage

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Green Bay Packers Coach Mike McCarthy has agreed to a new five-year contract worth about $4 million per season but will wait until after this weekend to sign it, according to an NFL source familiar with the negotiations.

The Packers had been working on the deal for several weeks and had the parameters set by last weekend.

Negotiations concluded this week, but McCarthy didn’t want the contract to become a distraction prior to Sunday’s NFC championship game, so he will wait until next week to sign it.

The Packers are tearing up McCarthy’s original three-year contract that paid him $2 million per year and ran through the 2008 season.

His new deal runs through the 2012 season and is the same length as General Manager Ted Thompson’s new contract, which was announced Jan. 7.

The average salary for NFL head coaches is approximately $3.4 million.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man has EARNED it! At least in MY view! He's a good coach, and his men seem to like and respect him.

HomerJay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to say he's proven himself to be a pretty damn good coach this season and worthy of keeping around!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
whats even better is he is his own agent, so this has to be a load off his mind

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats awesome but Im pretty sure I saw the highest paid coachs and it was Bill Belicheat bringing in the most at 3.85 a year. I saw it yesterday on ESPN because they were saying how much Jason Garrett is going to make and showed the highest paid coachs. McCarthy used to make 1.6 Million.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He deserves it!
Mike McCarthy has done a tremendous job bringing this whole thing together.
I'm glad we have him signed for the long term and our young players will benefit from this.
We can all have hope for another Packer dynasty.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad business decision. This is a Huge Mistake for the Packers.

T.T. and M.M. have contracts that end in the same year 2012. Not Good!

Al Davis will be 84 years old when they both are on the open market.

Al Davis will empty the vault to sign T.T. and M.M. for the Raiders 2013 season.

Just Win baby.

2013 Raiders Rule Again. I can not wait.

can_of_corn21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And exactly why would they leave Green Bay to go to Oakland???? Its not like the Raiders are going to offer them a ton more money than the Packers would to keep them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
can_of_corn21 said:
And exactly why would they leave Green Bay to go to Oakland???? Its not like the Raiders are going to offer them a ton more money than the Packers would to keep them.

he is just PRAYING that his SARCASTIC post comes true

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of hiring this guy and I didn't think he did anything special last year...

BUT...

seeing how his players respect him, how he sticks up for his players, how he handles himself with the media, I can fully admit I was wrong.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Bad business decision. This is a Huge Mistake for the Packers.

T.T. and M.M. have contracts that end in the same year 2012. Not Good!

Al Davis will be 84 years old when they both are on the open market.

Al Davis will empty the vault to sign T.T. and M.M. for the Raiders 2013 season.

Just Win baby.

2013 Raiders Rule Again. I can not wait.

Hehe best post ive seen on here in a while! :D :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good one, RP!! I have no doubt Davis will STILL be around, just out of sheer nastiness. But that's OK since Hell will not be filled up by then. Satan may have his hands full with Al, though. Maybe he'll leave me alone then. :)

farfam1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we just need Favre to play 2 more years. That guy has amazed me with his youthful resurgence this year...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we fired Sherman and hired McCarthy I was angry. I thought Sherman did a good job and only had one bad season. I had never heard of McCarthy and I expected the worse, and I expected that Thompson would lead this team to be in the cellar for years to come. Oh how I was wrong! Dead wrong! How happy I am that I was dead wrong. I am now Thompson and McCarthy's biggest supporter. They have done an amazing job turning this team around and making it championship calibur! Congrats to Mike on his new contract, he has sure earned it!

Here's to many excellent seasons to come under the Thompson and McCarthy Era! :beer:

Members online