McCarthy's job of being a good coach

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Does anyone think it is odd how little focus is on coach McCarthy? I know he likes being subtly and let his game speak for him, but we constantly heard about Belincheat when his team was doing so well, and Lombardi's Packers were the last group of Packers to go 10 - 0, and now McCarthy has his team in a VERY similar situation and everything seems to be about Rodger's Offense, Dom Caper's Defense, or Slocum's ST, I find it odd how there isn't a lot of focus on McCarthy.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's hard to give the credit where it's due b/c of how Rodgers is playing...what about Marshal Newhouse? Hasn't missed a beat filling in for Chad Clifton, I'm VERY IMPRESSED with him

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there was that thing where he sorta lost his temper and blew up at the press a few weeks ago.
He's just very quiet and doesn't go out seeking media attention like some coaches do.
Frankly I like it.
We don't need a blow hard like Rex Ryan or a cursing crankshaft like Mike Ditka.
I'd rather have a quiet McCarthy or Dungy than a pissed off Parcells.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I love McCarthy.

I would rather have him than Holmgren. Play call wise, I know McCarthy gets heat for such games, like the Lions one last year, and so on, but I think he tries better than Holmgren did. Remember the Super Bowl when Favre was struggling, and Dorsey Levens couldn't be stopped, Holmgren kept calling pass, pass, pass wanting to air it out all day, while our quarterback was struggling, he just ignored how well the run game was picking up, and he didn't change a game plan after Terrell Davis was destroying us on the ground. Some blame Favre for that game, but I say the game plan should have been changed when we couldn't stop Davis.

McCarthy also loves this team, you can see it. He wants to be here forever. With Mike Holmgren, he built a team and then left as fast as he could after we lost the Super Bowl, I felt like he bad lucked us big time, build us up, and then leave so you can have more power in Seattle.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just saying this to my brother not more then 4 days ago. I think it is the fact that McCarthy isn't flashy. Sean Payton had Drew Brees but he is still always talked about when the topic of great head coaches come up. The Packers just won the SB and are undefeated, but never is McCarthy discussed when Coach of the Year is brought up. They want pretty boys with flash that gets into fights, not a quiet hard worker that actually listens to his players without making it a major media story.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How can a Packers fan not love McCarthy? As far as him not getting a lot of national media attention he's one of the few people in the NFL who I think really doesn't care about it. And when he leads them to another title, he will get more media attention. I do think he gets credit for the offense but he has to share credit with Thompson for the personnel and Capers for the scheme on D. He, along with Tom Clements should get credit for developing Rodgers.

What is special about McCarthy IMO in addition to his obvious skill designing the offense and play-calling is his ability to "know" his team. I think he reads the team mood very well. From giving the team confidence by having them sized for rings the night before the Super Bowl to knowing when to "put the pedal down" in practice and knowing when to let up. That last point is important IMO: While I think he emulates old-time coaches in imposing discipline he also relates to today's players by taking care of them. By that I mean from his first off season in Green Bay, he has built in rest and recovery for players in TC and throughout the season. I think that goes a long way towards building a solid relationship with players. I know Woodson and Clifton, for example, have each expressed appreciation for the way McCarthy allows them to recover during weeks in season.

He also communicates very well and is willing to listen to the input of his players. This all sounds like common sense - and it is - but I don't think it's practiced around the league to the degree McCarthy does it. For example, McCarthy or a player mentioned on McCarthy's show that the QBs and WRs meet together in Green Bay to discuss each week's game plan - common sense, right? Well they went on to say that isn't how it's done in Seattle. And I'll bet Seattle isn't the only team that has each group meet separately. In addition McCarthy said most of the talking in these meetings is done by the players - most likely Rodgers leads these discussions as he should.

McCarthy should also get credit for completely buying into Thompson's way. How many HCs around the league would be whining to their GM about signing big name free agents? He and Thompson know by building the team predominately through the draft, McCarthy and his staff get to mold the youngsters before they get bad habits and bad attitudes from other NFL experiences. IMO that's a big reason McCarthy's teams are unselfish, absent divas, and stupid statements to the media or in social media are kept to a relative minimum by NFL standards.

And Bogart is right: The head coaching job in Green Bay isn't a stepping stone for McCarthy. I truly believe he doesn't want more power. He just wants to be the best HC in the league and if he keeps this up, he'll get there.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He flies under the radar and maybe he prefers it. He can just go about his business of assembling perhaps one of the most lethal football teams any of us have seen in our lifetime. Being in the press all the time can be distracting. Leave that for Belincheat and Rex Ryan.

LOLions

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a household name because he's strictly business and doesn't cause any controversies. A couple of dynasties should make him more of a 'popular' coach.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love McCarthy.

I would rather have him than Holmgren. Play call wise, I know McCarthy gets heat for such games, like the Lions one last year, and so on, but I think he tries better than Holmgren did. Remember the Super Bowl when Favre was struggling, and Dorsey Levens couldn't be stopped, Holmgren kept calling pass, pass, pass wanting to air it out all day, while our quarterback was struggling, he just ignored how well the run game was picking up, and he didn't change a game plan after Terrell Davis was destroying us on the ground. Some blame Favre for that game, but I say the game plan should have been changed when we couldn't stop Davis.

McCarthy also loves this team, you can see it. He wants to be here forever. With Mike Holmgren, he built a team and then left as fast as he could after we lost the Super Bowl, I felt like he bad lucked us big time, build us up, and then leave so you can have more power in Seattle.
Yeah and we all see where Mike Holmgren ended up.
The Browns!? WTF!?
I hope he regrets leaving the Packers. If not, he should.

OP
OP
Powarun

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Only thing I think when I see Holmegren when pictured with the Browns is where did he get that big ring on his finger, and why can't he get it for his own current team. I do hope we keep McCarthy, while yes we can get mad at some of his game management styles but he keeps winning games.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
As horrible as the Super Bowl was against Seattle and Pittsburgh, I don't think he would have went to Cleveland had that game been officiated correctly,and they ended up winning.

The Browns are cursed forever as punishment for becoming the Baltimore Ravens, oh I mean the Browns 2.0, cause Cleveland is not really a team of the past, they are a new team.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I can only find limited information, but does anyone know which quarterbacks MM has coached over his years as an assistant. I know, in addition to Favre, he was quarterback coach of Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, and Steve Bono. I am curious as to his legacy as a QB coach/OC. I have to wonder how much of Rodgers success should go to MM's ability to coach great QB's.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a perfect match for this team personality-wise, in that he does'nt give an F about hype, or pound his chest and talk about how great he or his team is...and THAT resonates with his players, its an all-business mentality. You want a complete opposite? look at the obnoxious jets organization, and they havent won **** with rex ryan.
The Packers are the classiest and most classic team in the NFL, and thats why they are America's team and its also why teams like the jets or raiders will NEVER be held in the same light.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Does anyone think it is odd how little focus is on coach McCarthy? I know he likes being subtly and let his game speak for him, but we constantly heard about Belincheat when his team was doing so well, and Lombardi's Packers were the last group of Packers to go 10 - 0, and now McCarthy has his team in a VERY similar situation and everything seems to be about Rodger's Offense, Dom Caper's Defense, or Slocum's ST, I find it odd how there isn't a lot of focus on McCarthy.

wat

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
yes, really...can you point out the dropoff between clifton and newhouse?
Newhouse has played adequately but he has not approached the play of Chad Clifton for most of Chad's career and more particularly during the last half of last season through the playoffs, where Clifton played at a Pro Bowl level. How do I know that? By having watched both play. Newhouse gets much more help than Clifton would and he struggles with speed rushers. For example, according to Bob McGinn, before settling down in the second half against the Bucs, rookie DE Clayborn gave Newhouse "fits", getting credit for a sack, a knockdown and 2.5 hurries. Don’t get me wrong, I'm very happy Newhouse, a 5th rounder in only his second season is playing as well as he has, but he's no Chad Clifton. Not yet anyway.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My Son, the Niners fan, and I just had a strong but fun debate about who should be coach of the year. I said McCarthy because of this phenomenal win streak. He claims McCarthy doesn't deserve it because he is just maintaining a proven commodity. He said McCarthy is just taking winners and keeping them winning. Harbaugh should be coach of the year because he turned a bad team into a good team. So I responded, what if McCarthy goes undefeated the whole way through the Super Bowl? He said it still wouldn't matter because McCarthy has a great team already. Am I wrong in thinking McC deserves COTY award?

D

Dan115

My Son, the Niners fan, and I just had a strong but fun debate about who should be coach of the year. I said McCarthy because of this phenomenal win streak. He claims McCarthy doesn't deserve it because he is just maintaining a proven commodity. He said McCarthy is just taking winners and keeping them winning. Harbaugh should be coach of the year because he turned a bad team into a good team. So I responded, what if McCarthy goes undefeated the whole way through the Super Bowl? He said it still wouldn't matter because McCarthy has a great team already. Am I wrong in thinking McC deserves COTY award?

No you are correct. I hope Green Bay can hold onto McCarthy and Ted for many more years.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 110%.
Every time it's the Packers only the players are mentioned.
Yet when it's about Tim Tebow, John Fox's name will also be in the article somewhere too.
MM is very underrated and somehow I think he would prefer it that way.
The less distractions, the better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasnt my first or 2nd choice when we were looking at coaches. I am glad I wasnt picking

Members online

Latest posts