McCarthys gotta go to court

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since mm isn't the gm, and isn't part of the personnel dept., i doubt this happens.
per: http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...t-confirm-packers-interest-in-qb-brian-hoyer/

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy wouldn’t confirm his team’s reported interest in free agent quarterback Brian Hoyer, although he admitted the Packers personnel staff likely explored other options at the quarterback position after starter Aaron Rodgers went down with a broken collarbone about three weeks ago.

“First off, I can’t confirm (the report). From the time Aaron’s been injured I’ve never once been involved in a conversation about bringing in a veteran quarterback,” McCarthy said Thursday.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since mm isn't the gm, and isn't part of the personnel dept., i doubt this happens.
per: http://packerswire.usatoday.com/201...t-confirm-packers-interest-in-qb-brian-hoyer/
It does not make sense. Why would Mike McCarthy even be considered as a witness for the Colin Kaepernick hearing?
It's because of his comments regarding Kaep and the Natl' Anthem that may be showing the prejudice of not hiring Kaep on an NFL team of which he needs to prove to win his law suit.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either Kaep has a case or he is just full of himself.
Whatever.
I'm ready to welcome him onto the team now.

I think we have a good chance against the Bears.
But looking down the schedule, we could use some more help in the QB position.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's because of his comments regarding Kaep and the Natl' Anthem that may be showing the prejudice of not hiring Kaep on an NFL team of which he needs to prove to win his law suit.

People who think Mike McCarthy has any prejudice regarding people sitting for the national anthem should look at the pictures or video of his own players sitting and kneeling. None of them were cut or reprimanded.

Patrick J. Costello

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hardly riveting testimony. Not your “did you order a “code red”. He probably could not handle the truth about this team...

Reaction score
That is the most ridiculous accusation.. its totally absurd and he's lost all and any credibility going forward if this is true.
Hmmm, then again.... maybe we can plea bargain and bribe him with an Official Jersey and Packer ball cap? It'd be worth it just to keep him quiet

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And the fact we don't really need a QB doesn't come into the picture? There still is an expectation Rodgers will return (and he's a quick healer) and we've invested in Hundly who needs to be showcased too.

They should go after teams who have permanent/long term QB needs and wonder why Kaep was not considered.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The original link didn't work for me and I actually thought it was a spam link resulting from somebody hijacking rodell's account.

To be fair, I didn't really have any qualms about Kaep being brought here, but it's starting to get where you just wish he would actually get to training, practicing his passing and just shut the hell up.

Honestly, I don't care what his politics are because if you're going to go after him for it, you might as well go after people both former and present on this team who support his causes as well. But the way his play declined on the field in SF has given people pause, and Michael Vick who supports him even said as much when talking about it. If he doesn't focus on cleaning up his play, he shouldn't start being surprised that teams aren't shooting for him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what comments?
These that are in the linked article.

McCarthy from the GB Packers, chose to use backup QB Brett Hundley in Star QB Aaron Rodgers place after a collarbone injury. McCarthy who was seemingly angered by a reporter's question about the possibility of hiring Kaepernick has been outspoken about his support for standing for the National Anthem and even gives players a lesson on the meaning and importance of the tradition. His recent outburst when asked about Kaepernick, could be used as evidence in the grievance case.

People who think Mike McCarthy has any prejudice regarding people sitting for the national anthem should look at the pictures or video of his own players sitting and kneeling. None of them were cut or reprimanded.

That is the most ridiculous accusation.. its totally absurd and he's lost all and any credibility going forward if this is true.
Hmmm, then again.... maybe we can plea bargain and bribe him with an Official Jersey and Packer ball cap? It'd be worth it just to keep him quiet

And the fact we don't really need a QB doesn't come into the picture? There still is an expectation Rodgers will return (and he's a quick healer) and we've invested in Hundly who needs to be showcased too.

They should go after teams who have permanent/long term QB needs and wonder why Kaep was not considered.
Kaep's legal team is looking at all the possible evidence they can find right now that may explain or back up his reasons why he thinks he isn't playing on a team right now.
You may disagree with this evidence, but that is what they have.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kap's exhibit A should be tape of the QB play by Hundley (nothing personal) vs. his pro bowl chops. I mean "we" fell for the "Hundley is awesome and people will be giving us all sorts of lofty draft picks for him" Bullschitt but.... seriously.... if Kapernik is anywhere near the QB he was LAST year.... it's gross negligence to not have him under center in Green Bay
...... BTW as a 24 year Army Veteran my solution to this whole thing is.... tell the players.... you are free to stay in the tunnel/locker room for the National Anthem.... but if you choose to be on the field, ypu will be expected to follow "these" standards"...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Statement is incorrect, Martellus Bennett has been cut.
King and Kendricks haven't been.
tell the players.... you are free to stay in the tunnel/locker room for the National Anthem.... but if you choose to be on the field, ypu will be expected to follow "these" standards"...
A little thing called a union contract complicates things like that.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppa San I'm guessing the union contract doesnt specifically address national anthem protocal. Do you have information to the contrary?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Packers recently tried to sign Brian Hoyer, but the Patriots were able to snap him up first (Belichick beats out TT again - not that I care that we lost out on Hoyer). This makes the team look bad since McCarthy got incenses when asked about signing Colin Kaepernick, because he had all that time invested in Hundley,

However: Teams are free to not want to sign Kaepernick. And teams are even free to not want to sign Kaepernick because they don't want the political distractions stemming from his anthem protest (although the media will throw mud at them for it). For Kaepernick to win his lawsuit, he needs to prove that at least two teams colluded together to not sign him.

So McCarthy is likely safe, even though the Hoyer situation puts him in a somewhat embarrassing position.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Packers recently tried to sign Brian Hoyer, but the Patriots were able to snap him up first (Belichick beats out TT again - not that I care that we lost out on Hoyer). This makes the team look bad since McCarthy got incenses when asked about signing Colin Kaepernick, because he had all that time invested in Hundley,

However: Teams are free to not want to sign Kaepernick. And teams are even free to not want to sign Kaepernick because they don't want the political distractions stemming from his anthem protest (although the media will throw mud at them for it). For Kaepernick to win his lawsuit, he needs to prove that at least two teams colluded together to not sign him.

So McCarthy is likely safe, even though the Hoyer situation puts him in a somewhat embarrassing position.
I agree with all but the last sentence. McCarthy's original statement occurred immediately after the Viking game. It is very understandable that he would make a statement in complete support of his backup. However, after the Saints game, I'm not surprised if they started thinking about alternatives such as Hoyer.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all but the last sentence. McCarthy's original statement occurred immediately after the Viking game. It is very understandable that he would make a statement in complete support of his backup. However, after the Saints game, I'm not surprised if they started thinking about alternatives such as Hoyer.
I'm not surprised either. But the media (or rather certain segments of the media) has an agenda to paint teams like the Packers in a bad light for not signing Kaepernick.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Poppa San I'm guessing the union contract doesnt specifically address national anthem protocal. Do you have information to the contrary?
I found this:
"4. The NFL collective bargaining agreement may aid players with respect to contractual free speech.Irrespective of whether teams constitute public actors for purposes of constitutional free speech analysis, players may have certain protections against being fired for public protests under the collective bargaining agreement and their standard player contracts. Indeed, NFL players are not at-will employees, but rather are hired for a term of years. As the recent court decision in Mendenhall v. Hanesbrands explains, an athlete hired to a contract for a term of years cannot simply be fired for exercising political speech unless exercising that speech violates the terms of the underlying contract. If an NFL team wishes to "fire" a player for not standing for the national anthem (in the sense of "fire" that means not paying the player for the remainder of his contract), the team would have to show that the player's conduct violated the morals clause in the league's standard player agreement.

5. According to the collective bargaining agreement, any team punishment is subject to internal arbitration. In addition to the limits on NFL teams ' rights to "fire" players based on the standard player agreement, the collective bargaining agreement allows players the right to challenge any such punishment via a formal arbitration process. So even if a team wished to take action against a player, the team owner might not have the absolute and final say in the matter."
I left it out of the quote box so it doesn't fade away.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know why Brian Hoyer should have anything to do with this. Last year Hoyer was much better than Colin Kaepernick. Remember Kaepernick was benched for Blaine Gabbert and Hoyer stole the starting job from Jay Cutler.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Brian Hoyer should have anything to do with this. Last year Hoyer was much better than Colin Kaepernick. Remember Kaepernick was benched for Blaine Gabbert and Hoyer stole the starting job from Jay Cutler.
Last year Kaepernick had a passer rating of 90.7 to Hoyer's 74.1. Kaepernick threw 16 TDs to 4 INTs. Hoyer had 4 TDs and 4 INTs.
There is some subjectivity to who is better, but most critics will maintain Kaepernick is the better quarterback.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year Kaepernick had a passer rating of 90.7 to Hoyer's 74.1. Kaepernick threw 16 TDs to 4 INTs. Hoyer had 4 TDs and 4 INTs.
There is some subjectivity to who is better, but most critics will maintain Kaepernick is the better quarterback.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. What we can agree on is both QBs are better than Brett Hundley at finding open receivers and getting rid of the football in less than four seconds.

Members online

Latest posts