1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCarthy's future hinges on Sanders' success

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This article is right on. Not only does Sanders control MM's fate, I believe he controls TT's also. There is no way that Jones will allow TT to name a third head coach in 3 or 4 years. Our safeties have played BRUTALLY.

3. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you mean second coach? Ted didn't name Sherman as coach, he came in as GM while Sherman was coaching. If he fires McCarthy, then fires McCarthy's replacement the following year and hires an fires another coach, obviously Ted is doing something wrong.

4. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The first coach that Ted, as you like to call him, hired was Mike Sherman. Remember that 2 year extension that we are still paying for????

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    lmao ... that gave me a good laugh, thanks i needed that sillyness ... extensions = hiring ... just hilarious

His contract would have been up at the end of the 05 season. The two year extension ... I understand why, but don't agree with it and to my current understanding it doesnt even effect the salary cap so ... who cares?

6. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Having a bad day???When TT was hired it was 100% his call who would be the head coach. He chose Mike Sherman.....in fact with the ringing endorsement of a two year 6.2 million dollar extension. Mike Sherman was in fact the first coach he chose....Mike McCarthy is the second coach he chose......he won't get a third chance IF McCarthy doesn't cut it.

This is the real world ....not Madden 2007 or Fantasy Football.

Hope your day improves!!!!

7. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

No Doubt Zero, Ted resigned Sherman. I don't know why you are even trying to dispute it or spin it.

8. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    What Havel was doing was filling space during a slow news time.

Remember the word continuity.

Here's the three best defenses in the league:

Baltimore
    Chicago
    Jacksonville

How are they alike? All of them are playing with great athletes, in a system that has been around awhile.

Counting Sanders, the Packers are on what, their 4th defensive coordinator in five years? Hiring Sanders was to at least keep the majority of the veterans in the same system. But Manuel, Woodson, Hawk, Pickett are new to the system, and Poppinga has hardly played in it. Collins is just in his second year.

Three games in statistically, the Packers are doing better than last year vs. the rush, but has given up a boatload of big plays. Bates' defensive philosophy was to stop the big play and contain. Sanders should look seriously at that.

I think the single biggest goof made by McCarthy was bringing back Kurt Schottinthearse, who ruined the secondary the last time he was here.

But I wouldn't look for any change. If the Packers can climb up to the middle of the pack defensively, the offense should be able to take it the rest of the way.

9. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    i unfortunately agree with these two guys....ugh.

If your gonna give credit to TT for re-signing the likes of Aaron Kampman, Ahman Green and semi Brett Favre. all good moves

You gotta give him credit for re-signing the Shermanator. a move you cannot discredit due to Shermans record in the regular season. I think the playoff record left a bad taste in everyones mouth cause he got outcoached. and the 4-12 season just gave TT the reason to fire him. However in hindsight it was obviously stupid to give Sherman that much money.

10. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Good post net. I hate to say this because I'm not a big Roman fan but the biggest difference so far has been the play of our safeties., and the only change was Manuel.

11. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There wasn't any problem with promoting Sanders to DC. He's a solid coach with a strong background ready to be a DC, plus it was the closest he could get to having continuity on defense from Bates.

The mistake, as net pointed out, was hiring k. Schot. This guy was a major problem when here before and our DBs don't know what's going on again. Add the poor play of Manuel to the mix and our defense is struggling.

12. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    He offered an extension to his exsisting contract which was in its final year. Do you not understand that? He didn't 'resign' him. Resigning someone means they have no contract and are signing back with said team.

13. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Word it however you want but the result is still the same. Ted had control over it thus making Sherman his first choice and Mickey Mouse his second

14. packerfanfourever

packerfanfourever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe TT gave MS his extention so MS could just worry about coaching and not have the added pressure trying to win games on a contract year.

MM is coaching his fourth reg season game I just can't figure how a true Packer fan could call his teams coach Mickey Mouse but to each their own I guess.

15. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Wow, How smart. Why didn't I see that. Omg. Wow. Just WOW. You have thought it all through. You even thought about Harlan in this matter too and the ties with Sherman. WOW. Amazing. There is absolutely no way Harlan could have asked for the new gm to retain Sherman after his playoff loss. Theres no way, that stuff NEVER happens AHEM kurt shottenheimer AHEM.

http://www.mike-and-christy.com/images/*******.jpg

16. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Good, I knew even you could figure it out with some help!

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

HMMM calling someone an as$wipe because they made you look foolish will usually draw at least a warning........for some.....that is!!!

18. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Yeah not for a select few however

19. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Then in another post he praises Thompson for Driver

Lolololol......can we try to be consistent buddy?

20. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you guys packerfans or packerbashers?

If TT and MM won the superbowl you would find something to whine about, judge MM after the season.

21. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You critcize him for praising TT for giving Driver an extension yet when someone says something about Sherman giving big money to Robert Ferguson and Cledius Hunt your fast to remind people that Sherman gave an extension to Chad Clifton.

22. packerfanfourever

packerfanfourever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

couldn't agree more, good post

23. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't agree with this article.

What is with this "Mr. ______'s fate depends on (one of his first hires)." nonsense?

TT supposedly needs A-Rod to do well(not true at all, just has to make sure the nex qb after favre is decent\reliable, be it A-Rod, or someone else).

Now rookie HC is on the bubble because of a possible bad hire? Was McCarthy supposed to be lights out on AND off the field?

Hearing some of you ramble on, I get the assumption McCarthy was supposed to go 16-0, win coach of the year, and have the best staff ever assembled.

McCarthys fate doesn't depend on Sanders. Sanders fate depends on Sanders. If the defense continues to suck(mostly pass D) McCarthy will be here next year, as will TT. Sorry.

PM me when you return to reality.