McCarthy won't be shifting into idle

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JSOnline.com - Source

Posted: June 13, 2006

Michael Hunt

Green Bay - Although it technically was a volunteer workout, one of several extra off-season practices granted by the National Football League to teams with new coaches, the activity level was at a frenetic pace Tuesday.

That is the most obvious stamp Mike McCarthy has placed on the Green Bay Packers so far.

"He feels like if you're flying around on the practice field at a fever pitch, when we get into the game things will slow down and it will make it easier to recognize things," center Scott Wells said. "Any time you practice with that high intensity the spirit of the team is going to be up, too, to maintain that tempo."
Advertisement

Less apparent is the field presence the 42-year-old rookie head coach is beginning to bring to a franchise in desperate need of an esteem makeover, but if you look hard enough, signs of its formation are there. It was not noticeable five months ago when the relative unknown was introduced as the surprise hire over Jim Bates, because on that day McCarthy was all about humility and gratitude. It was actually hard to envision McCarthy, who won over Ted Thompson with his "Pittsburgh macho," as a serious leader of men.

Now, although no one knows at this early date whether McCarthy will get the Packers back into the Super Bowl or be fired before the expiration of his three-year contract, it is safe to say he has that commanding air that demands respect. Somewhat edgy and exceedingly direct, McCarthy doesn't leave anyone guessing as to who's in charge.

Still, these bonus practices are not just for the benefit of the players. They are for McCarthy to learn what it will take to be a head coach at the highest level.

"I'll say one thing, I'll never be just a head coach because I'd be bored to death out here if I didn't coach a position on offense or defense," he said. "I know some people do it. It's been a learning experience. You have to manage the whole practice. It's all the little things. Our business is the details, details, details. Because any time the little things get away from you, they turn into big things. So that's been the biggest learning experience, just keeping your finger on everything and holding everybody accountable for it."

For example, McCarthy lectured his players on the Ben Roethlisberger situation.

"Obviously, we're all men," he said. "I'm not a fan of motorcycles, but that's just me. I know they're very popular in this part of the country. The biggest part of the message was (to) just be smart."

He talked to Nick Barnett about the linebacker's dispute with City Council over a liquor license for his nightclub.

"I didn't get into specifics because I'm not rehearsed in law, but my father was a bar owner, which I'm sure you're aware of," McCarthy said. "I just told him it's a tough business."

McCarthy also learned the specifics of team President John Jones' heart surgery during his own physical Monday.

"Actually, my blood pressure was excellent," McCarthy said. "With all the caffeine I've been drinking I was shocked with that."

Details, details, details, all without the benefit of regular sleep.

"He's very approachable as far as the players," Wells said. "I think they made a good decision in hiring him. I think he'll do an excellent job here."

It's not yet clear which direction McCarthy's career will take, but it's a good bet it will get there in a hurry.

Send e-mail to [email protected]

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
As of this post. 44 people on this forum read this, and not one of them has responded to your time and effort in posting this.

Let me be the first. Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is a good read.

Thanks,

R.P.

Thank you.

As per the time, I took this from JSOnline.com. It took me about 13.2 seconds to bring it over ;)

I do appreciate your time for sure though, thank you.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
goodnight nurse :roll: :wink: !!

alright, alright - thank you SOOOOOO much for posting this FANTABULOUS article, zero. :bow: :bow: :beersign:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The only place success comes before work, is in the dictionary."

-Vince Lombardi
(Unless you're Paris Hilton) :wink: :lol:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way did it take you 13.2 seconds to bring the article to PF.com

If it did, you need to look at a serious upgrade to your computer. :wink:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
No way did it take you 13.2 seconds to bring the article to PF.com

If it did, you need to look at a serious upgrade to your computer. :wink:

It took 12 seconds to by pass the 'insider' loop at JSOnline :p

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Raider Pride said:
As of this post. 44 people on this forum read this, and not one of them has responded to your time and effort in posting this.

Let me be the first. Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is a good read.

Thanks,

R.P.

we don't need to thank him its not like he wrote it

... kids

Zero2Cool said:
Thank you.

As per the time, I took this from JSOnline.com. It took me about 13.2 seconds to bring it over ;)

I do appreciate your time for sure though, thank you.

You're like the puppy dog that followed me home. Cute, but should jus go away. lol

Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

lol I know just what you mean. I have been enjoying (AHEM!) me fair share of free "insider" views of the JSONLINE Packers section. I'm guessing its a programming glitch that allows the short window to access chats?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Zero2Cool said:

lol I know just what you mean. I have been enjoying (AHEM!) me fair share of free "insider" views of the JSONLINE Packers section. I'm guessing its a programming glitch that allows the short window to access chats?

spill the beans already, via pm if you have too.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of many who, upon hearing the hiring of MM over Bates, asked the question, "what the Texans OC wasn't available?" It's still too early to tell but from all the media and multimedia on him, I like him better. I do see he has a direction at least which the team seems to be falling. The weight programs, the intensity at practice, the getting in the grills of the inept, the communication mediums, the respect of the players. So far, so good in my book.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

I don't think it's a programming glitch, I think it's an overlooked 'feature' :)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Zero2Cool said:

spill the beans already, via pm if you have too.

haha its really nothing 'clever' jus something i came accross bored at work the other day.

Code:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=439587
Normal link and if you are not logged in you will be thrown to another site that requires you to register and I assume pay.

BUT by adding
Code:
&format=print
to the end of the URL before it switchs you get the full article. Just paste and hit enter right away.

The URL will look like this
Code:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=439587&format=print

OR

Hover over a link, notice the six digit numerical code for the web page and put it in place of the previous one.

Example:
Code:

That could be your default one.

Code:

Hover your mouse over a link and at the lower left of your screen you should see a 'http://jsonline.com/blahblah=456654' or something like that. Take the six digits and replace them into the default link and paste that into your broswer URL.
This does not work for all their links, only the ones that have the six digits!!

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
Another MM article:
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 7757.shtml
McCarthy creates a different atmosphere

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Mike McCarthy has been on the job for barely more than five months and hasn’t coached his first game, so we’re a long way from knowing what he and his Green Bay Packers are all about.

But a change in head coach always changes an NFL team, and in McCarthy’s short time with the Packers, he’s begun putting his stamp on the team. Most notably, his approachable demeanor with his players and the football staff has established a more relaxed working atmosphere at 1265 Lombardi Ave. than the past couple of seasons under the departed Mike Sherman.

Without question, most new coaches benefit from a honeymoon period, and the relatively low-pressure working conditions in the offseason are far more conducive to friendly relations than the fires of the regular season.

But it’s also apparent to team observers and insiders that Sherman’s dual role as coach and general manager inhibited communication with his players, and that last year his tense relationship with Ted Thompson, who was hired over him as GM, had filtered throughout the organization and to the team. That’s not the main reason the Packers went 4-12 last year, but it’s surely the main reason Sherman no longer is Packers coach.

“Very personable,â€

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Raider Pride said:

Thanks,

R.P.

we don't need to thank him its not like he wrote it

You remind me of the Rabbi in the Priest, Evangelist, Rabbi joke.

They had a regular tee time every thursday afternoon. This day, however, it took seven hours to play the round. They were livid and made sure the club pro knew of it.
"Hold on know befor you go further. You need to know those fellas in front of you are BLIND"!

Each man of the cloth lowered their heads before speaking.

The catholic priest went first stating " I will lock the church doors and recite 1000 Hail Mary's and 1000 Our Fathers asking God for the strength of patience!"

The Evangelist spoke next and declared " I will ask the thousands who follow my direction for a donation to charities for the blind on this Sunday!"

The Rabbi looked at the club pro and said " why don't you just make them tee off at NIGHT"!

Come on man. Why don't you just say it like it is!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In spite of his unimpressive credentials, I have liked most of what I've heard about McCarthy. Good or bad, it will be VERY interesting to see how his approach works out in the regular season.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
In spite of his unimpressive credentials, I have liked most of what I've heard about McCarthy. Good or bad, it will be VERY interesting to see how his approach works out in the regular season.

I was optmistic at first, but the more I read, the more worried I am.

Members online

Latest posts