McCarthy will try to get Brett to come back.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT allows him to talk to him.

The following is how he felt BEFORE he became a candidate for headcoach:

On Dec. 27, McCarthy said this about Favre: "It looks like he's kept himself in great shape. He still looks like he could play another four, five years. He's still got a lot of bounce in his legs."

McCarthy directed the NFL's poorest offense this season in San Francisco, where four starting quarterbacks compiled a passer rating of 53.6. One of them, Alex Smith, was the first pick in the draft after McCarthy rated him above Aaron Rodgers.

"(Rodgers) definitely has a chance," McCarthy said in November. "He has ability. But I always have a problem with guys who have not played a lot. You worry whether they're one-year wonders".

Looks good for Brett and a little less favorable for Rodgers. Of course after being named head coach guys seem to amend their opinions, depending on what the GM thinks! I read alot about McCarthy last night and I like what I read. I think he WILL stand up to TT when necessary.

I am willing to say that depending on what comes out of the Favre situation, I like this move. Right now , if he becomes the head coach of the Green Bay Packers, then he is the greatest head coach in the league. What can I say....I've always been a supporter of coaches....including (gulp) Lindy Infante, Forrest Gregg and Ray Rhodes.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the one thing that stands out about McCarthy is he has that blue-collar toughness that I think translates well to leadership in this league...players rerspect a guy with a little bit of an edge to them...and he does not sound timid with regard to getting on people when warranted...total accountability.

Feel bad for Jim Bates, though. Hope he stays around.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree digs. Plus he was a bartender, so if the Packers play next year like this year, I'm sure he can mix a few in the locker room to make them feel better.

I've never met a bartender I didn't like. I might start the night off not liking him but after 2-3 hours, I always seem to like them better!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree digs. Plus he was a bartender, so if the Packers play next year like this year, I'm sure he can mix a few in the locker room to make them feel better.

I've never met a bartender I didn't like. I might start the night off not liking him but after 2-3 hours, I always seem to like them better!

Me too De pack this is right on the money !!!!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should support him until he shows he does not deserve it. I like his background also. Both in the NFL and personally. Blue collar - bartender - not afraid to get in someone's face - YEAH! GO MIKE! God, that sounds familar.LOL

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Post DePack,

Acleast we all know how McCarthy felt about Brett before he got here. Let's hope he and TT are on the same page, we should all know soon.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
The following is how he felt BEFORE he became a candidate for headcoach: Looks good for Brett ...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Whoa baby, too much love drives a man insane! :jumpsmile:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy's comment on Rodgers probably doesn't mean much. He was just pumping up his own guy (Alex Smith) at the expense of the guy he's always compared to (Rodgers). And if Aaron Rodgers reads that quote, as I'm sure he has by now, he should take it as a challenge. It would be quite the irony if Rodgers became a really good quarterback under the guidance of one of Alex Smith's first pro coaches, who passed Rodgers over in the draft!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vixtalkn said:
DePack said:
The following is how he felt BEFORE he became a candidate for headcoach: Looks good for Brett ...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Whoa baby, too much love drives a man insane! :jumpsmile:

Hmmm... **** Vermeil incarnate.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If McCarthy didn't say he would push for Bretts return...His stay in Green Bay could be short at best. There would be a call for his head from the fans that would rival any Salem Witch hunt. It would be a fools move on his part to play the Brett card any other way.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree = what was he going to say? But I think that TT and MM better travel to MS to talk to Brett about their plans for next year if they do really want him back.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
If McCarthy didn't say he would push for Bretts return...His stay in Green Bay could be short at best. There would be a call for his head from the fans that would rival any Salem Witch hunt. It would be a fools move on his part to play the Brett card any other way.
He probably does want Brett back. You are right though, what else could he say? No I don't want the most loved Packer of all time on my team. That would be job suicide.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MSMOLLY said:
I agree = what was he going to say? But I think that TT and MM better travel to MS to talk to Brett about their plans for next year if they do really want him back.

McCarthy sounded for real and TT did too for a change regarding Brett but I also agree that "you can talk the talk but still you have to walk the walk".

Let's see what they get done now MSMOLLY.

Members online

Latest posts