McCarthy, Thompson visit Favre in Mississippi

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Source Link

By Chris Havel
Copyright 2006

PackersNews.com

MOBILE, Ala. — Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson did some recruiting as well as scouting during their trip to the Senior Bowl this week.

Now, it is Brett Favre’s turn to do some soul searching.

Thompson confirmed that McCarthy, the Packers’ first-year coach, made the 100-mile drive from Mobile to Hattiesburg, Miss., Thursday to visit Favre at his home. Thompson paid a similar visit to Favre earlier in the week.

Favre, 36, is in the midst of deciding whether to return for a 16th NFL season. Favre hasn’t discussed his future with the media since the season finale against Seattle, and the team hasn’t made any announcement about the quarterback’s plans.

Thompson declined to offer details of their conversation, except to say he left feeling confident that Favre still believes he can play at a high level “which is a good thing because he can, and he wouldn’t come back if he didn’t think so.â€

Reaction score
I like what I have read. I have been critical of TT, but he deserves credit for keeping up with Brett. Same for McCarthy.

One thing:

“About 90 percent of it, I believe, is the money,â€

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I appreciate the post and now have a reason to be somewhat optimistic; I would have expected this trip out of Ted whether he is sincere or not as his public relations have been taking a beating.

Not leaning one way or the other here, just stating a fact but hope that he is sincere.

This trip makes him look good (either way).

Thanks for the article.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I like what I have read. I have been critical of TT, but he deserves credit for keeping up with Brett. Same for McCarthy.

One thing:

“About 90 percent of it, I believe, is the money,â€

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Never did believe TT was rebuilding. Nothing he's done demonstrates that.

To me its like he bought a building that he could see one of the legs breaking, so he spent a year supporting the current structure while conjuring up a plan to solidify the foundation and ripped that leg completely off and replaced it with a newer more stable leg. He shook up the occupants in the building by taking that leg away and honestly I think that was his intentions, part of them anyhow.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero's baby pics bothering you Winni???LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Anyway.......i said all along, that just because they said they had no trip to see Brett PLANNED, did NOT mean they were not going to visit him! They just didn't want the media circus, and the questions that go with it.
I think i know what the plan may be, i think it might be planned with an upcoming event! Just my opinion........

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66: I had to do a double-take on that 90% comment too, but then I realized what Thompson means. He's saying that when free agents choose where to go the decision is based about 90% on money and 10% on other factors--such as the opportunity to play with someone like Brett Favre.

It's good to hear Thompson mentioning free agency. I've thought all along that he may surprise some people by going after some free agents. He's cleared the cap room to do it, so why not?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson inherited a mess in Green Bay. Mike Sherman had this organization so screwed up that it literally may take years to fix it. The guy coming in to clean up the mess is often times looked at as being bad at what he does. I will agree that for whatever reason he made two bad calls on the guard position. But here is also the truth, you can't have four centers on your team and expect to compete. It's like keeping two punters. You just don't do that. So let's see what TT does this off season because I think the house cleaning has been done, now we see how be rebuilds this team.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope brett felt positive on what their game plan is and wants to come back.hard to say from the article one way or the other maybe denna has to feel they are going to be fair with brett and how they treat him,after all be hind ever man is a good women to help him through the rough times

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan4ever said:
i just hope brett felt positive on what their game plan is and wants to come back.hard to say from the article one way or the other maybe denna has to feel they are going to be fair with brett and how they treat him,a

Brett Favre and Deanna have nothing to complain about in regards to how the Packers treat them. It has been a wonderful relationship. My hope is that it will continue. The Packers have literally treated Brett as fairly and with as much respect as any team has ever treated any player. He has become an icon in Green Bay.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Ted Thompson inherited a mess in Green Bay. Mike Sherman had this organization so screwed up that it literally may take years to fix it. The guy coming in to clean up the mess is often times looked at as being bad at what he does. I will agree that for whatever reason he made two bad calls on the guard position. But here is also the truth, you can't have four centers on your team and expect to compete. It's like keeping two punters. You just don't do that. So let's see what TT does this off season because I think the house cleaning has been done, now we see how be rebuilds this team.

So do you think Sherman did a good job?

Let's kick the man in his "jimmies" one more time.

Thanks digs!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
packedhouse01 said:

So do you think Sherman did a good job?

Let's kick the man in his "jimmies" one more time.

Thanks digs!

here here Come on it was not all Shermans Fault Wolf and Harlan put Sherman in a lose lose situation as a GM/HC they can never succeed because of thier personal relationship with the players and you tend to make deals on personal levels not good business sense. I say Sherman did a Good job with the Pack yeah could have done better but no one knows how MM will work either. So if the Pack suffers another bad year next year I suspect just as many people will be willing to throw MM and TT out and will reminis about Sherman and "The Good old Days"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts