McCarthy should bring back Joe Philbin to help offense

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Mike McCarthy should strongly consider bringing back Joe Philbin as a offensive consultant, or whatever they want to call it, to help the Packers offense. The offense was very good when he was the offensive coordinator of the Packers. Here is a link to an article from October 5 on the possibility of Philbin rejoining the Packers.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...ilbin-green-bay-packers-mike-mccarthy-offense

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That could be a game changer. Swallow your pride MM and get him a ticket to GB. Keeping him in a offensive consultant role will keep the current staff looking somewhat strong to the public. Privately I hope he does more than that because the guys with the keys to the car now are not getting it done. Being away for a few years should allow him to have a very objective and critical view of the current situation.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the counter argument here would be we did lead the league in points last year with Rodgers winning his second MVP without him.

Regardless, if he is brought back it won't be until the off-season. And rightly so.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why can't he come back now? Van Pelt, Bennett and Clements can't have anyone step on their toes? BB brought McDaniels back the same year he was fired. I am not a fan of burning another year of the Rodgers Super Bowl window over the pride of MM's precious staff. If this makes you better then by all means do it. There is no coach cap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That could be a game changer. Swallow your pride MM and get him a ticket to GB. Keeping him in a offensive consultant role will keep the current staff looking somewhat strong to the public. Privately I hope he does more than that because the guys with the keys to the car now are not getting it done. Being away for a few years should allow him to have a very objective and critical view of the current situation.

Why is it when a coach isnt doing something, it is because he is stubborn or needs to swallow his pride?

Maybe Joe and MM have talked and Joe said no?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of changing (demoting) offensive coaching roles midseason. And I think it sets a bad precedent. Also while he is a great coach, can we admit not everything BB does is god-worthy? Without a last second Malcom Brown INT he hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2004.

Also the Dolphins offense peaked at above average under Philbin in 2014. Maybe he was just as much a product of Rodgers talent as people say MM and TT are here.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man's press conferences over his entire tenure have made him sound stubborn and unwilling to swallow his pride. Last year's catastrophic collapse is the first time I have heard humility from him regarding his staff and not a snappy response back to whomever might have asked him a question on the staff.

Maybe they have talked but I would think Joe would welcome the opportunity to work and build his resume back up. It couldn't hurt his stock.

MM just seems like a guy who once his staff is set in place its full steam ahead and no looking back. He doesn't come off as being open minded until the season is over and he can evaluate the tape and the body of work.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a fan of changing (demoting) offensive coaching roles midseason. And I think it sets a bad precedent. Also while he is a great coach, can we admit not everything BB does is god-worthy? Without a last second Malcom Brown INT he hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2004.

Also the Dolphins offense peaked at above average under Philbin in 2014. Maybe he was just as much a product of Rodgers talent as people say MM and TT are here.
I think you can hide him under the "consultant" tag. No one gets demoted. He just helps out. Internally there may be role changes but to the eyes of everyone outside of that building he is a consultant.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can and should find a role for Philbin.
I wish people would stop trying to downplay or qualify Belichick and his accomplishments. He's the only coach I would consider as on a par with Lombardi.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Why is it when a coach isnt doing something, it is because he is stubborn or needs to swallow his pride?

Yeah. I think he did suffer a tremendous personal loss in GB. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to keep his distance.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and maybe because the staff they have NOW had the same 10 of 11 players as the #1 offense in the league just last year. but because guys are blocking like they are capable everyone thinks a guy that had our offense running pretty well 4 years ago, but did little in Miami, is going to turn us around.

Something is up, that much is obvious, but what? Pretty much same coaches and players that were tops in the league last year. How does Joe Philbin make our Line run block and pass block better? Does he help our line communication? How? They were pretty good last year with the exact same people, what changed?

I'm sure Philbin probably has something he could offer this team in terms of analysis, but I don't think that is this teams shortcoming, it's been execution. Unless he can change that, I don't see the point.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the offense has been pretty good since Philbin left the 2011 team was on a whole other level. IMO it wouldn´t hurt to bring him in as a consultant ASAP if he wants to come back to Green Bay.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume that Philbin is getting paid the balance of his $3.5 million contract for the year. I have a limited knowledge of NFL contracts and salaries, but if Philbin takes another job aren't the Dolphins off the hook for that $3.5M? Meaning, Philbin would have to forgo his $3.5M payout to take a presumably smaller paycheck as an assistant coach with the Packers. If that's the case it could also be a reason Philbin would want to wait it out. Think of it as a nice paid vacation.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume that Philbin is getting paid the balance of his $3.5 million contract for the year. I have a limited knowledge of NFL contracts and salaries, but if Philbin takes another job aren't the Dolphins off the hook for that $3.5M? Meaning, Philbin would have to forgo his $3.5M payout to take a presumably smaller paycheck as an assistant coach with the Packers. If that's the case it could also be a reason Philbin would want to wait it out. Think of it as a nice paid vacation.

Heh, I would consider 3.5 M to be a deciding factor.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'd only be resonsible for any deficiency in pay. So if he made 1 million somewhere, they'd still be paying 2.5 unless it was specifically written that he couldn't work in any capacity until the term of the contract expired, but I wouldn't expect a coach to sign something like that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the offense has been pretty good since Philbin left the 2011 team was on a whole other level. IMO it wouldn´t hurt to bring him in as a consultant ASAP if he wants to come back to Green Bay.
Can we bring back a younger Jones, Prime Greg Jennings, an effective Donald Driver, switch out RR for best season Finley, an almost 100 catch season for jordy Nelson and we'll keep randall cobb with Philbin too?

D

Deleted member 6794

Can we bring back a younger Jones, Prime Greg Jennings, an effective Donald Driver, switch out RR for best season Finley, an almost 100 catch season for jordy Nelson and we'll keep randall cobb with Philbin too?

Does this mean you don´t like to add free agent coaches either???

I really don´t see why anyone would be against this move, adding another offensive mind to the mix for sure won´t hurt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not against it, I just don't think it's that we have the wrong people running the show. They're the same people as last year and the year before and we've been good for all of them. I have no idea why our offensive line, that was pretty decent can't stop a 4 man rush and we can't run block on it either to get 4 yards a carry. Until they start performing, i don't care who you have here calling the shots, it's not going to make a difference

I was just pointing out there was quite a difference in our personnel in 2011 compared to now on offense. Surely it should be taken into consideration? or maybe not

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not against it, I just don't think it's that we have the wrong people running the show. They're the same people as last year and the year before and we've been good for all of them. I have no idea why our offensive line, that was pretty decent can't stop a 4 man rush and we can't run block on it either to get 4 yards a carry. Until they start performing, i don't care who you have here calling the shots, it's not going to make a difference

I was just pointing out there was quite a difference in our personnel in 2011 compared to now on offense. Surely it should be taken into consideration? or maybe not

I don´t think we have the wrong coaches running the offense either but adding a proven and succesful offensive mind should at least be considered.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it should, and i wouldn't mind it at all, but until we can block a 4 man front or pick up a blitz it won't matter. That's all I'm saying. To shake up a staff mid season, even with a "consultant" you have to be careful with the message it sends. Do players see it as Clements not being good enough? does it create more dissent among the players between those that believe in what they're doing and those that don't? Do they keep clarity with just who is the boss? and i believe GB has a good enough staff they can keep those issues to a minimum, but then I have to ask, will it fix this problem?

For me the problem isn't scheme, play calls, not having Jordy, not throwing deep, not throwing quick enough, or not having Joe on staff. It all starts with the blocking up front and if they feel he can fix the communication issues between backs and line and between linemen and make them pass block and/or run block better then sign him up. If not, I'd probably pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

it should, and i wouldn't mind it at all, but until we can block a 4 man front or pick up a blitz it won't matter.

For me the problem isn't scheme, play calls, not having Jordy, not throwing deep, not throwing quick enough, or not having Joe on staff. It all starts with the blocking up front and if they feel he can fix the communication issues between backs and line and between linemen and make them pass block and/or run block better then sign him up.

I agree that the blocking has to improve drastically for the offense to get back on track. I don´t have any idea how to achieve that though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't either, they're missing something, that much is obvious. I have hope, because they've shown they can, but they haven't shown improvment in that regard either

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Ooh ooh ooh...and.....THE GRAVEDIGGER!

Members online

Latest posts