McCarthy says

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to ESPN radio tonight and they had an interview with Mike McCarthy.
The head coach of the Green Bay Packers said out of his own mouth that Brett Favre is NOT holding the Green Bay Packers "hostage" as is being suggested by some people.
I have been saying this on this forum for quite some time and if the head coach is saying this that is good enough for me.

And don't come back with that politically correct crap because that cliche is beyond being worn out.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't hear the interview, but I agree that so far Favre's indecision hasn't affected McCarthy's preparations. However, I also know that McCarthy said in an earlier interview that if Favre is not here for the mini-camp, that then he will be affecting the team. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

And don't come back with that politically correct crap because that cliche is beyond being worn out.

i don't wanna crap in your pillow case but seriously, think of the alternative. do you realise the media shitstorm he would be in if he said anything different?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although it's probably true that Favre isn't holding the Packers "hostage" at this point, I'm sure if McCarthy could speak totally candidly he would admit it is affecting their preparations for this season.

First, if Brett had decided not to play they would probably have picked up another veteran QB already. Would it have been someone like Brees or Culpepper? Probably not, but it would have been someone other than the slim pickings that are available now.

Next, if Brett had made his decision to play sooner he would already be learning the playbook like the rest of the players on the team are. McCarthy said they have almost 100% participation in the voluntary offseason prgram. Well guess who the "almost" is.

Is Brett's indecisiveness costing the team the chance to sign other FAs? Impossible to tell for sure, but we do know at least one that wanted to talk to Brett before making a decision (Arrington).

On the other hand, I doubt if the Favre situation is affecting their plans for the draft in any way. That would be determined more by their feelings on Rodgers as a future starter and Arth & Wrobel as future backups.

I also don't think Favre's salary cap figure affects the team in any way. TT isn't spending the money they have now, there's little chance he has any plans to spend the $7-8 million they'll gain on the salary cap if Favre retires.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is not implementing anything new as far as offense goes, if anything he said he is going to simplify the offense going back to a more pure WCO, which is what Brett has been running his whole career.

Brett is not a rookie coming out of college, anything new that MM wants to impliment, is not going to be anything that Brett hasn't already learned at some point in the last 14 years.

MM has stated that he is preparing A. Rogers as if he is going to be the starter during this period, that can only be a bonus if Brett decides to come back.
I look at it this way if Brett was in Green Bay right now Rogers would not be getting all of the attention he is getting now.

FA's will go to the team who pays them the most money...period.
Arrington can prove me wrong by telling his clown agents "The Poston Bros." to get a deal done with The Packers. In the end though he will go to the team who offers him the most money, that could still be Green Bay because it looks like most teams are not ready to offer what Arrington wants.

Lare, you are right on about the salary cap, another reason is that if Brett does retire and Aaron Rogers becomes the starter the incentives in his contract will kick in eating up a lot of that cap space money.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare, there are tons of Backup QB's out there. Alot more than the slim pickens you mentioned. In fact most of the QB's out there are the KIND we were going to sign.

Learning the playbook? That's a new one. I think Brett can handle it.

The FA thing is also funny. Correct me if I am wrong but Arrington and Woodson have not been signed because they want to much money. Other than AV what other FA that we brought in has walked away without a contract?

Please quit suggesting what TT and MM COULD say if they were being candid, because you don't know. I am sure they want a decision, but, for the same reason we do.

When and if they NEED a decision because they think the future is jeopardized by his indecision I have 100 percent faith that they will tell Brett it's time to decide.

These men are grown professionals that will handle this with class. If TT said tommorrow that he NEEDS a decision, the majority of fans would understand. TT is NOT SCARED of some public lynching but yet is giving Brett the respect to take his time making a HUGE decision in his life.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK guys, I'll bite.

First of all, IMO learning a complete new offense is a not a piece of cake regardless of who you are or how long you've been in a similar scheme. Absolutely everything is different from the reads, the blocking schemes, the routes, the terminology, the play calls, etc. But you don't have to take my word for it, take Brett's. He's the one that said learning a new offense was one of the deciding factors in whether or not he retires.

As to free agency, to say that money is the ONLY deciding factor in where a free agent signs seems a little naive to me. Sure it may be near the top, but these guys also have to have a life and many of them have wives and children. I'm sure every pro football player will tell you that factors such as culture, weather, environment, tradition, winning team, schemes, proven coach and other players on the roster all play a role in their decision on where to sign.

I also think it's a little naive to think TT and MM have free rein in how they handle this situation and speak publicly about it. Brett Favre is by far the most popular player of the Packers and maybe even the NFL over the last several years. For either of them to draw a line in the sand and demand an answer from Brett that prematurely forced him into retirement would bring on vilification by Packer fans worldwide and probably cost them their jobs.

Also, so far there have been 15 QBs signed during free agency. I'd love to see the list of all the viable QB options that are still available should Favre retire and Rodgers not pan out.

JMHO.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all speculation by you. You may think like that but to say TT or MM does is a guess. Everything does not support your theory however.

There are ways for TT to HINT around wanting a decision but extending a deadline to late July is not one of them. This obviously looks like a case of TT saying take your time Brett, and to the media, Back the F Off!

You also state TT does not want a public lynching by placing a deadline. It seems to me that half the fans want a decision. So you are saying fans are going to lynch TT for something they want? Why not set a fair deadline of April 27th or so. I would expect most fans would be OK with this plus it would give Brett time.

Judging by the actions and the low-profile of TT during this I think it is crystal clear that TT is fine with what Brett is doing. We will prepare with A-Rod and if Brett comes back all the better.

Playbook wise, Brett would not be studying it right now even if he said he was coming back. Brett has run this style Offense a majority of his career.

I am not going to argue the FA thing. Arrington has not been signed because he wants to much JACK, not because he does not know Brett's situation.Same deal with Woodson. I have asked several times what FA of any importance has visited GB and not signed besises AV, who wanted to kick in a dome

It's not a problem in the Packers Organization, it's a problem with armchair QB's and a story hungary media.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you truly think he would say, even if he feels it's true, "Brett Favre is driving us nuts--he is holding the franchise hostage." Give me a break. Outside of Green Bay fans can see how Brett is playing with the team, but most Packer fans are blind to it. I'm not one of them. I'm a Packer fan who enjoyed Favre and will go on loving the Packers beyond him.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare is dead on, and PPierce made a good point...I live in Va now so I get a different perspective...ppl are SICK of the brett fiasco outside of GB circles and see what he's really doing...just heard some talk show hosts comment on it on fox sports radio on Sat. night.

As for public relations...no, a lot of ppl would not understand a deadline...esp. if it could be perceived as something that drove BF to retire...look at the resentment on this board already with how TT is handling the team...much of the dissatisfaction resulting from the way the decisions are perceived to impact BF...setting a deadline that would force brett to prematurely retire would result in $hitstorm that TT probably would prefer to avoid.

Finally...Brett does impact FAs....Reggie admitted Brett was part of the reason he came here.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PPierce said:
Do you truly think he would say, even if he feels it's true, "Brett Favre is driving us nuts--he is holding the franchise hostage." Give me a break. Outside of Green Bay fans can see how Brett is playing with the team, but most Packer fans are blind to it. I'm not one of them. I'm a Packer fan who enjoyed Favre and will go on loving the Packers beyond him.

We've heard everyone in the media, including Chumura, whine about Brett holding the team hostage. Both TT and MM have had plenty of opportunity to take advantage of that media sentiment, but instead both of them continue to state that Favre is not affecting the team!!

TT's actions are directly linked to his words in this case. He's not going out to sign the top FAs for a run in Brett's last year. Instead he's worked to sign young players with a lot of potential. Now by looking at Woodson and Arrington I think TT recognizes the need to add more veteran leadership. Add to that the fact that he's moved the deadline out to TC time, and there's no question that TT is comfortable with Favre taking his time.

It's obviously the biggest story of the offseason for GB and the NFL. That is exactly why there is so much pressure to have a decision now. All the rest of the crap is just an excuse to get that decision.

GO PACK GO!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet again, I have an extremely difficult time believing that Brett retiring in January would have resulted in identical offseason moves by TT...yes, all speculation, but knowing you only have one qb on the roster, I doubt the pack would have remained that way 'til late April...I would not be surprised if Arrington wouldn't have even come in for a visit...again, speculation, but to deny some of these facts seems like going out of the way to protect the squeaky clean image of a hero.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Yet again, I have an extremely difficult time believing that Brett retiring in January would have resulted in identical offseason moves by TT...yes, all speculation, but knowing you only have one qb on the roster, I doubt the pack would have remained that way 'til late April...I would not be surprised if Arrington wouldn't have even come in for a visit...again, speculation, but to deny some of these facts seems like going out of the way to protect the squeaky clean image of a hero.

Actually the only fact you stated is that GB would have had 1 QB on the roster. Arrington not coming in is complete speculation. Considering GB has a ton of salary cap space, Arrington probably would have come for a visit to push other teams for more money since he's not getting the contract offers he wants.

As for the QB situation, TT has already acknowledged that he would have signed someone else if Brett retired. That doesn't mean that Rodgers wouldn't still be working to be the starter. Nor does it mean that GB can't find another backup QB if Favre does retire.

Favre image isn't squeaky clean IMO, but it doesn't have to be. I think it sucks that he whined about the lack of offseason moves by TT. Still, that only points to the fact that TT is making what he believes are the best moves for the future of the team, not for Favre. At the same time, Favre taking his time is in his best interest, not the team's.

No matter how you dice it though, retirement is a personal decision and every player has the right to take their time with such a decision. Unlike other players though, everyone is carefully watching every move by Brett or GB to try to find some clue. In the end, it only shows that no one has a clue.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Brett's image has to be clean either, but to me, it appears a lot of the defense of Brett is in an effort to preserve the fantasized superhero image that people don't want to let go of.

Like you alluded to, I'm not happy about him commenting on TTs moves...he's made it clear that his retirement deicision is, at least, significantly influenced by what TT does...thus, brett has now set it up so that him retiring indicates to the public that he doesn't have faith in the ability of his teammates.

As for FAs...Arrington said he really wanted to speak w/ Brett...that makes me believe that Brett's presence would have some sort of an influence on his decision...and arrington just happens to be the only FA to come out and say it in public...I'm willing to bet Brett's decision would impact some of the other FAs as well.

Yes, he should have the right to have some time to decide when to retire, but 4 months to decide what you will do for the next 8 seems like ample time to an arm chair observer such as myself. I still believe his indecision is impacting the team...directly, indirectly, or how significantly is debatable...but it's time to make a decision.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know, lets just think about it for a minute. Bretts holding us hostage (which I dont agree with) well ok lets say he said im done in mid febuary. Free agency comes along. What is a GM like ted going to do go out and sign a injured very exspensive Drew Brees, or would he go with a cheaper QB who was projected to go top 5 last year.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Musscy..

You've had a hard-on for Favre as long as you've been posting on these boards...as have you PPierce...

and for the life of me...I don't understand what you've got against the man..Is it that he's consistantly been a "winner" for GB and delivered championship after championship while inept coaches have been fired? Is it that he played hurt and under all kinds of physical and emotional duress while delivering these championships?

Or is it..like some other fans here have stated..do you hate the fact that he smashed all of Bart Starr's Packer records..?

Do you actually think that Aaron Rodgers is going to waltz in here and pick up where Brett left off? Because that ain't gonna happen...no matter how much you wish it to...Or is it that you are just uncomfortable in the face of greatness and winning and wish the Pack to return to "respectable" mediocrity...

What is it then..? Because i'd really like to know..

arrowgargantuan said:
i don't wanna crap in your pillow case but.....

...and Arrow..yes...yes you do...because I think that's the kind of guy that you are.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm concerned about AR, that's why I'd like to see another vet brought in so that we have a back up plan if AR gets injured/sucks and Brett retires.

I respect what Brett HAS DONE, but he had one of his worst seasons last year, he's not getting any younger, and, IMO, he's acting a little like a spoiled brat right now. That's what I have against him.

Listen to me...Brett Favre is the best packers qb of all time, and likely top 3 in NFL history...I truly believe that...I have the utmost respect for what he HAS DONE, but I'm not pleased with what he IS DOING right now.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man..

Am I getting tired of people blaming last year..(2-4) on Brett...

Listen to me..

HE HAD HIS WORSE SEASON LAST YEAR BECAUSE HE HAD A BUNCH OF ******* RECEIVERS..NO O-LINE..AND NO RUNNING GAME...AND SOME LAME-*** COACHES WHO WERE TOTALLY UNIMAGINATIVE, UNORIGINAL, AND TOTALLY PLAYED OUT IN GB...

Stop trying to pin that crap on him...cause it's simply NOT TRUE!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I'm not saying that Brett's image has to be clean either, but to me, it appears a lot of the defense of Brett is in an effort to preserve the fantasized superhero image that people don't want to let go of.

Like you alluded to, I'm not happy about him commenting on TTs moves...he's made it clear that his retirement deicision is, at least, significantly influenced by what TT does...thus, brett has now set it up so that him retiring indicates to the public that he doesn't have faith in the ability of his teammates.

As for FAs...Arrington said he really wanted to speak w/ Brett...that makes me believe that Brett's presence would have some sort of an influence on his decision...and arrington just happens to be the only FA to come out and say it in public...I'm willing to bet Brett's decision would impact some of the other FAs as well.

Yes, he should have the right to have some time to decide when to retire, but 4 months to decide what you will do for the next 8 seems like ample time to an arm chair observer such as myself. I still believe his indecision is impacting the team...directly, indirectly, or how significantly is debatable...but it's time to make a decision.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Man..

Am I getting tired of people blaming last year..(2-4) on Brett...

Listen to me..

HE HAD HIS WORSE SEASON LAST YEAR BECAUSE HE HAD A BUNCH OF ******* RECEIVERS..NO O-LINE..AND NO RUNNING GAME...AND SOME LAME-*** COACHES WHO WERE TOTALLY UNIMAGINATIVE, UNORIGINAL, AND TOTALLY PLAYED OUT IN GB...

Stop trying to pin that crap on him...cause it's simply NOT TRUE!!!

Did Mike Sherman throw those interceptions? His gunslinger mentality hurt us last year, because of the bad oline\hurt WRs.

Gunslinger + Bad Oline + Hurt WRs + Bad Coaching = Bad Season

Brett could have thrown the ball away, instead of throwing falling passes. He could have taken the sack, and let the defense(which was top 10 btw) do their damn job.

But I wont blame it all on brett(look at my equation, hes one of 4 parts), but to say he had nothing to do with it is ignorant.

To remedy this(imo) is...get an improved offensive line and some healthy solid WRs(we dont need all pros, brett CREATES all pros).

But I see what you're saying,66. Have a wonderful day.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the "genius" Tromadz said..

Brett could have thrown the ball away, instead of throwing falling passes. He could have taken the sack, and let the defense(which was top 10 btw) do their damn job.

Gee..

I was hoping that you had just gone away..but like a bad penny you show up spouting your nonsense...

Yeah..

He should have just gotten his *** handed to him (and made to wear it for a hat!) play after play because of that rusty gate of an O-line with the missing OG's..(that are still missing by the way--thanks TT!!) and taken the sack play after play...!!!

I wish he WOULD HAVE just run outside the tackles when nobody was open, or if someone ran the wrong route, or if he knew the receiver wouldn't fight for the ball, and just fired the ball into the TURF!!

...FOOM..!! :shock:

(but Favre is a competitor..and he couldn't go out lying down like that..like a dog....I have news for you..to win in the NFL you have to score POINTS...and no way was that NFL Europe caliber team that Favre was forced to play with going to score any points...The talent level he had to play with was an EMBARASSMENT...and to top it off...the scintillating play calling of the ******** twins was too much to overcome..!)

...play after play to illustrate the foolishness, ineptitude, and impotence of the SherRossley led Packer offense..Favre should have just ran outside the tackles and....

FOOM! FOOM! FOOM!

(kicking up the tundra at Lambeau field in a futile cloud of dust..!!!)

(Play after play....Man..that would have been some offense to see!)

Favre running outside the tackles..and FOOM..firing the ball right into the dirt..!!

...and you make me laugh uncontrollably when you say the GB had a top 10 defense last year....man..now that is a funny joke...!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett nor the team had a good year. We all watched it. We all saw it.

Rather than play the blame game it was obvious a combination of things contributed to the problems last year.

An inefficiant running game.

An ineffective "O" line.

A game plan that called for more veritcal passing routes in the WCO, kind of a hybrid to the true WCO, didn't help.

More than anything, what contributed was all the injuries. We didn't have the playmakers to run the type of offense MS wanted to run, or, the protection needed to run it.

Bret had to feel like a sitting duck out there and I'm sure he felt his arm was the only chance to win.

On the other hand throwing it up for grabs many times was not always necessary, and, I'm sure he wishes he had some of those throws back.

Throws like the one before halftime in the Bears game when he flung it out there for grabs. He didn't have to try to throw it out of the endzone(he said later that was what he was trying to do) the sideline would have been just fine.

What I saw was a frustrated Favre due to an incompetant game plan, without the support to pull it off. A number of factors that equated to 4-12.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying pyle.

However, I still believe that ppl are being blisfully ignorant. As trom said, TT and MM can't be as candid as they'd like to be in public, and ppl are overlooking that fact. Is Brett "holding the team hostage?" OK, I doubt that, but you can't deny that in some way, his indecision is affecting the team

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Brett nor the team had a good year. We all watched it. We all saw it.

Rather than play the blame game it was obvious a combination of things contributed to the problems last year.

An inefficiant running game.

An ineffective "O" line.

A game plan that called for more veritcal passing routes in the WCO, kind of a hybrid to the true WCO, didn't help.

More than anything, what contributed was all the injuries. We didn't have the playmakers to run the type of offense MS wanted to run, or, the protection needed to run it.

Bret had to feel like a sitting duck out there and I'm sure he felt his arm was the only chance to win.

On the other hand throwing it up for grabs many times was not always necessary, and, I'm sure he wishes he had some of those throws back.

Throws like the one before halftime in the Bears game when he flung it out there for grabs. He didn't have to try to throw it out of the endzone(he said later that was what he was trying to do) the sideline would have been just fine.

What I saw was a frustrated Favre due to an incompetant game plan, without the support to pull it off. A number of factors that equated to 4-12.

Do tyou know what you are doing here Warhawk???

You are risking your reputation, people will call you Favre lover and they would never forgive you for not blaming him for TT´s and Sherossley faults..

Anyway wellcome to the club !!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts