McCarthy presser.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the magnitude of the epic choke may have set in so McCarthy can be excused for the cliches and platitudes

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I could careless what he said...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Losing a "won" game is tough in the regular season; it's excruciating in a championship game. It’s easy to overreact in the wake of a game like yesterday’s but I’ve got to say I was surprised at how well the D played for most of that game. If Bostic either blocks, which was his assignment, or grabs the ball which hit the palms of his hands, the Packers win. If Clinton-Dix knocks down the two-point conversion, the Packers win. Who knows how the game proceeds if Clinton-Dix catches what would have been a third INT that bounced off of both of his hands?
What would Lombardi say?
I’m not sure how you meant this and of course no one knows but I have an idea what he would have said about kicking those field goals near the goal line. As almost all of us know, Lombardi lost exactly one championship game, his first. The game ended with Chuck Bednarik refusing to let Jimmy Taylor up at the Eagles’ 22 yard line as time expired. The Packers lost 17-13 and earlier in the game Lombardi decided to go for it on fourth down twice deep in Eagles territory (at least once as the result of an Eagles’ turnover). Obviously, if they would have kicked either FG successfully, they only would have needed another to win the title. What did Lombardi say after the game?
According to David Maraniss’s book “When Pride Still Mattered,” Lombardi later regretted not attempting two additional easy field goals, saying: “When you get down there, come out with something. I lost the game, not my players.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/sports/football/07eagles.html?pagewanted=2

He also more famously said ‘We’ll never lose another championship game’ and of course they didn’t. BTW, not that this will salve the fresh wound from yesterday but that 1960 game was the last NFL championship/Super Bowl the Eagles won.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was there. There was "blood in the air" and "blood on the ground". The Seattle police telling there fans, "it was over". I have it on video and MM ****** up my movie and cost us a "CHAMPIONSHIP". I am trying to keep my composure but MM blew this game. I can only speak from a player standpoint that when your coach starts to show "No Confidence" in you it affects the whole mental state of the team. It becomes a "Domino Effect. "Clinton-Dix goes from a guy playing at "Charles Woodson Level" to looking "STUPID" on a two point conversion.

That's what we saw. "DOMINO'S." How else can a team that dominates basically for 56 minutes just fall apart like that. This **** goes against everything that they say is "Green Bay Packer Football."

My cousin and our fans traveled for this game MM and you blew it. I've been a Packer fan since birth and I can't say I have ever been this disappointed with a "GIVEAWAY." What makes it worse is these Seattle "bandwagon dudes" think there **** smells so great.

We have a young team and we will respond but MM if your to scared to make calls in big games then step down. You gave lombardi a "heart attack" in his grave. On top of that you made this "joke show seahawks" look like "Champions."

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I am trying to keep my composure but MM blew this game.
So McCarthy instructed Bostic to try to catch the ball instead of doing his job? Did he instruct Clinton-Dix to drop that INT or not cover on the two-point conversion? Nonsense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
So McCarthy instructed Bostic to try to catch the ball instead of doing his job? Did he instruct Clinton-Dix to drop that INT or not cover on the two-point conversion? Nonsense.

No. I don't think that was instructed by MM. I do Not. MM has his people in place so yes it his job. These are simple fundamentals. TT brought all this talent to this roster and MM has massive ammunition and cant win.

Your missing the point. We have a young team on the road. The more you give them the more there going to take. The Seahawks have db's holding shoulders to there chest. This is utter embarrassment.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I don't think that was instructed by MM. I do Not. MM has his people in place so yes it his job. These are simple fundamentals. TT brought all this talent to this roster and MM has massive ammunition and cant win.

Your missing the point. We have a young team on the road. The more you give them the more there going to take. The Seahawks have db's holding shoulders to there chest. This is utter embarrassment.
His standing at the podium obstinately refusing to own up to anything, while pointing his finger at the players is shabby.

H

HardRightEdge

I’m not sure how you meant this and of course no one knows.
Well, at least one other poster got it. I have no problem with kicking those FGs. 4th. and 1 at the opponent's 35, had that occurred, would be another matter.

First there was the defense's premature celebration. Then when it was clear the game was not over the defense could not get their heads back into it. It goes to mental approach, playing to the gun.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course McCarthy, some of his staff, and some of the players share in the responsibility. But I think Ted Thompson is free and clear on this one.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the magnitude of the epic choke may have set in so McCarthy can be excused for the cliches and platitudes

+1.

McCarthy gets a free pass with the local press.

With the national press paying attention, his flippant response about having no regrets about anything that occurred yesterday makes him look like a buffoon. The narrative around the country is that McCarthy is riding ARod's coattails.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is turning us into the Atlanta Braves of the 1990s. So much talent, and only one championship to show for it. All other years result in underachievement and heartbreak.

Charles Fischbein

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would Lombardi say?
This was one 0f the worst coached games I have ever seen. McCarthy had NO faith in his team, two field goal attempts from inside the five yard line and closer. He may have just said to them give up now guys. Coaches have been fired for much less. I say get rid of him and find a new coach who has faith in his team, top management should make a statement that when you have top talent you turn them loose, you do not deflate them. Yes the onside kick was a disaster, but if the Packers would have gotten just one TD on the two field goal attempts the game would have been won. It was a slap in the face of his team for putting in the field goal unit so early in the game. I live in Northern Virginia and have seen what happened to the Redskins when coaches give up on their teams, I fear this disaster will hurt the faith the players have in their coach, time to shop for a new one. I hope to see someone new coaching next season.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM will never be fired. His fluke SB win in 2010 gives him lifetime immunity. The Packers culture is to stick with your own guys, don't bring in outsiders. That's also why TT rarely signs free agents.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+1.

McCarthy gets a free pass with the local press.

With the national press paying attention, his flippant response about having no regrets about anything that occurred yesterday makes him look like a buffoon. The narrative around the country is that McCarthy is riding ARod's coattails

That's because he is. He fell into a good situation when TT hired him. I think any coach could've won with the 2010 team as they were inspired and on a mission. Again, overrated play caller and below average in making in game adjustments. If Harbaugh can get shown the door so can Mike. Man I wish urban Meyer was the HC here. This offense wouldn't be 10 it would be in the top 5.

Members online

Latest posts