McCarthy Press Conference 10-29. Injury/Practice report

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Insiders Blog

McCarthy's Wednesday media conference
* First, the injury report from Packers media maven Jeff Blumb: LB Desmond Bishop (hamstring, did not participate), LT Chad Clifton (knees, limited), DE Jason Hunter (hamstring, full), LB Danny Lansanah (hamstring, full), DT Ryan Pickett (not injury related, limited), QB Aaron Rodgers (right shoulder, limited), CB Charles Woodson (toe, limited).

* On Rodgers' workload today: "He was on a pitch count. He took pretty much all the run game and was limited in the passing game." How many pitches? "It's irrelevant." Has time off helped shoulder? "Definitely." Strength, structure not an issue. He just needs rest. Will be on pitch count again Thursday, see where he's at on Friday to decide how much "shutdown time" he needs.

* Bishop had hamstring strain in Monday's practice. "It's really the responsibility of the individuals to make sure we're doing as much as we can" to prevent injuries.

* On DT Justin Harrell: "He's making progress. This is what he needs," to get into football shape. "He just cannot get enough work. ... This is exactly what he needs." How much could he help? "He would definitely part of the rotation. If we do go to him on the 53, I would foresee him being active" on game day. In best shape he's been since coming to Green Bay.

* How much did extended action affect defensive line in first seven games? "All those things were looked at. I just think it was a short-term situation. ... I think if we would have continued (with that many snaps), it definitely would have shown up in the second half of our season. I don't think it's a factor right now."

* On Titans DT Albert Haynesworth: Playing as well as any DT in league.

* On committing to run game: "Every game plan is ... true to itself. You want to run the football. It's important. We weren't gashing people the way we'd like to. ... The productivity, we want to be higher, there's no question about it."

* On Titans RBs: "They both present problems. ... They complement each other well."

* On getting S Atari Bigby back: Has history at LB because of how play in scheme. He's a major factor in run support, like Aaron Rouse. Have some flexibility there. Decided whether Bigby or Rouse will start on Sunday? "They're both taking reps."

* On preseason game: Game need to go back and look at to evaluate personnel, but don't put too much stock into it.

* How does CB Al Harris look? Good. Taken full dose of practice. "He looks good. He's had a good week so far." Will be evaluated Friday, as all injured players are. Try to protect him as much as can in practice. "I anticipate he'll be active for the game."

* On LB A.J. Hawk: Looks like has burst back.

* Play Brandon Chillar over Hawk in nickel defense? "You're got to utilize your personnel." (Doesn't really answer the question, but sounds like it's something that's being considered.)

* Why Titans one of elite teams? Play fundamentally sound. Not a team that tries to trick you, just play physical. Well-coached; have lot of respect for Jeff Fisher and staff. "They're just playing very consistently right now."

* See self coaching in Green Bay as long as Fisher's been in Tennessee? "I'd be all for it."

That's it for now.

-- Tom Pelissero, [email protected]

Wednesday practice report
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (shoulder) threw some -- including a few deep balls -- during the jog-through portion at the beginning of practice but did not appear to throw after that.

Others who were either out or limited were:

CB Charles Woodson
LB Desmond Bishop
LT Chad Clifton

Woodson and Clifton took part in the jog-through period but then dropped out as is their usual Wednesday routine. Bishop did not appear to do anything, but his injury was not immediately known.

Returning to practice were:

DE Jason Hunter (hamstring)
LB Danny Lansanah (hamstring)

Also, DT Johnny Jolly was back on the field after missing Monday due to a court appearance in Texas.

-- Rob Demovsky, [email protected]

Members online

Latest posts