McCarthy hopeful defensive line recovers

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By LORI NICKEL
[email protected]
Posted: June 19, 2008

Yet the defensive line is actually coach Mike McCarthy's greatest concern.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is coming off arthroscopic knee surgery. Former first-round pick Justin Harrell has missed his second offseason, this time with an injured back, and has fallen behind. Colin Cole (forearm), Johnny Jolly (shoulder) and Daniel Muir (pectoral muscle) have also missed some time because of injuries.

"I'd just like to see those guys get healthy," McCarthy said. "You never want to see one particular group kind of dominate the medical report. We went through a situation last training camp with the running back group being hurt, so you can see how that affects that position, but it also can affect the way you go through training camp."

Having everyone available is key to the Packers' strategy, which is to substitute their defensive linemen liberally.

"It's the way our system is put together," Muir said. "Everybody gets their chance to make a play. It works well."

Muir has since returned to the field and the second-year free agent from Kent State has improved his hand technique by bettering his counter moves.

"That's the worst thing is to have an O-lineman's hands on your chest because he can control you," Muir said. "You get his hands off your chest and create separation."

Final injury update
McCarthy still anticipates that all of his injured players who have missed some or all of the offseason work will be ready for training camp. What's debatable is whether they'll be ready at the start of camp July 28 or if they will be held out for one of the two practices per day.

The injured or limited-participation players are: Will Blackmon, Shaun Bodiford, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, Harrell, Cole, Jolly, Junius Coston, Cameron Stephenson, Ryan Grant (contract), Gbaja-Biamila and Kyle Ward.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Jolly comes back and picks up where he left off. Knockng down passes at the line of scrimmage.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injured or limited-participation players are: Will Blackmon, Shaun Bodiford, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, Harrell, Cole, Jolly, Junius Coston, Cameron Stephenson, Ryan Grant (contract), Gbaja-Biamila and Kyle Ward.

Yikes. I hope this list is just being precautions. We'll especially need Blackmon, Wells, Cliffy, Harrell, Cole, and Jolly (not including Grant because he's not injured - it's due to contract in the works).

If Harrell slips further behind, one more season like that and he gets the "bust" label. I'd like our first round picks to contribute immediately as AJ Hawk did (and he will be better in his 3rd year). I wasn't too crazy about letting go of C. Williams and now I'm wondering if our people think it was a mistake.

Members online

Latest posts