McCarthy glad to have Jones back

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...09/07/mccarthy-glad-have-jones-back/71848574/

Packers coach Mike McCarthy spoke to the media on Monday. Here are some highlights:

On James Jones' re-signing:

Great to have James back. Obviously everybody is excited. He has a certain energy about him. He’s obviously a good fit for us, excellent player for us. I’m glad he’s back.

On his experience:

He’s a good football player. Don’t lose sight of that. Look at his tape in preseason and last year, he looks like James Jones. He’s been a big part of our success in the past.

On offensive changes:

There will be variations of concepts. I don’t think he’ll have any major learning curve.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A #1 or #2 he is not...a solid 2nd tier option with great chemistry with Aaron already he most definitely is. No one should expect his TD onslaught the year he played into that big contract that we all saw him leave....but we also shouldn't be surprised if glimpses of that shows in a game here or there. Love this pick up, due to Nelson injury.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No one should expect his TD onslaught the year he played into that big contract that we all saw him leave....
I do expect him to match or exceed the TD onslaught we saw from him the year he played into that big contract. He scored 3 TDs in the 2013 regular season. He scored 14 the year before. ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do expect him to match or exceed the TD onslaught we saw from him the year he played into that big contract. He scored 3 TDs in the 2013 regular season. He scored 14 the year before. ;)

You're right...I mis-quoted the year...but message still the same HAHAHA!

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVE James Jones, even though I see little-to-no chance he's back next year with:
  1. Jordy
  2. Cobb
  3. Montgomery
  4. Janis
  5. Davante
  6. Abbrederis

But right now this morning he's on the ESPN Sportscenter Set. Was just on with Brian Dawkins, who's got his nice coat & tie on, dapper.
Our man Jones? You guessed it! The PACKER HOODIE!
#Represent

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOVE James Jones, even though I see little-to-no chance he's back next year with:
  1. Jordy
  2. Cobb
  3. Montgomery
  4. Janis
  5. Davante
  6. Abbrederis

But right now this morning he's on the ESPN Sportscenter Set. Was just on with Brian Dawkins, who's got his nice coat & tie on, dapper.
Our man Jones? You guessed it! The PACKER HOODIE!
#Represent

That's a pretty cool ensemble there; snazzy dresser. :tup:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veteran Minimum I say keep him around the discussion....no one else will probably pick him up so there is always that option again haha...otherwise let him ride off into the sunset. Make him the WR coach if he is ready to hang up them cleats.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There certainly seems to be void at that spot right now.

Honestly, I just love having JJ around. His family loves it here and you can tell he loves it here. Don't be surprised if we sign him to a minimum...he stays with us till final cuts to see if any WR injuries pop up...if not, I'd definitely see if he is interested in joining the staff in some fashion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they sign him until there are injuries. He's on his way out of the league, and those are guys that you tell to keep in shape, if you find another job, great, go get it. If not, when we have injuries, or our younger guys aren't panning out, we'll give you a call. It's the nature of the business. But they know what JJ offers. Any roster spot he might take is going to someone younger first, especially with Jordy, Montgomery, Cobb, Adams, Abbrederis and Janis still on the roster. He won't be getting a call from us till August or September is my prediction.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this talk of him being close to retiring an on his way out of the league. He is 1 year older than Jordy.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't get this talk of him being close to retiring an on his way out of the league. He is 1 year older than Jordy.
It could be because when Jones was gone in 2014 Jordy still thrived. Although Jones did well in 2015 with Jordy being gone, he did not have as big of a year in comparison.

The real deciding factor will be how TT sees it. He let Jones get away once before and he chose to give Jordy the big contract. He called it right if his only option was to choose one over the other. I'm not sure that was the case because TT is (mostly) a spendthrift, especially with aging veterans who are not cheap enough to keep.

Personally, I would hope he retains Jones for another few years as veteran depth. The cost does not have to be prohibitive.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because he's a compliment receiver, and he's slowing down. I don't care what age he is, he is what he is. he's looking at joining his 4th team in the past year. Up and comers don't find themselves in that position very often. He'll get signed by someone, but every body in the league knows what he is. Unless they have a glaring hole and no youth to fight for it, he's not getting a call until there are openings in the roster once the new guys have been looked over in camp, or someone gets hurt.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts