McCarthy: Giants can win

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Jan. 30, 2008
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy said if the New York Giants play their best Sunday, they will be good enough to beat the undefeated New England Patriots.

On Wednesday, McCarthy was in Glendale, Ariz., the site of Sunday's Super Bowl, to receive a coach of the year award voted on by fans. He was interviewed by ESPN Radio's Mike Tirico and Scott Van Pelt.

"As long as they go out and play their best game, anything's possible," McCarthy said, referring to the Giants.

He was asked what it felt like the night of Jan. 20, after the loss to the Giants in the NFC Championship Game.

"It's numb," McCarthy said. "It's a numbing feeling. Because it was really a fun year. I can't say enough about the players, what a joy they were to coach. We had a lot of youth on our football team. It was exciting just to watch our football team grow throughout the year. Then you are leaving the stadium and it's over. Your season has come to a close."
Advertisement

McCarthy said he had been visiting his daughter in Austin, Texas, and when he flew to Arizona he saw all the Super Bowl banners.

"It kind of stings," McCarthy said.

He praised his team's "tremendous work ethic" and its ability "to stay focused" throughout the season.

McCarthy praised the Giants' ability to win on the road and to play their best football in the post-season. He mentioned that in preparing for New York, among his chief concerns was the Giants' "defensive system," which he likes "because of the way they challenge you with the pressure and challenge your protections." He said New York's defensive line "is a tremendous strength of their football team, the strongest part of their team."

He said Giants quarterback Eli Manning is playing "very well" and that his "decision-making" and "the way he threw the ball in Green Bay in the NFC Championship game was very impressive."

McCarthy said Manning came into Green Bay playing well and continued that way.

"When your quarterback is playing at that level, you always have a chance at a big game," McCarthy said.

Off Super watch

Donald Driver turns 33 on Saturday, the day before Super Bowl XLII.

He has played nine seasons in the National Football League.

In an interview Wednesday morning on ESPN Radio, Driver said he has never watched a Super Bowl in person or on television in all that time.

He was asked which team he thought would win.

"I don't care," Driver said. "I have never watched the game in my whole career. Haven't watched a game yet. I won't watch it."

Driver said he wants to play in a Super Bowl before he watches one.

"That's my goal," Driver said. "I've always said the first time I come to a Super Bowl I want to be in it. Hopefully, I can get there before my career is over."

Driver did say he thought Brett Favre will return to play.

"Knowing he has a young team, a team that can get him back to the Super Bowl, and was only one game short, I think he will come back for another year," Driver said.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article.

I think the Giants can win. Pressure Brady and make some magic happen.

As for what Driver said, that's awesome! He'll get his wish next year.

Members online

Latest posts