McCarthy asserts Rodgers is not a disappointment

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: March 26, 2007

Phoenix - In many arenas outside of the Green Bay Packers organization, quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been judged unworthy of being Brett Favre's eventual successor, but in coach Mike McCarthy's world he remains a legitimate candidate.

Mike McCarthy is keeping backup QB Aaron Rodgers out of drills for a couple of weeks.

McCarthy expressed amazement and frustration over outside observations that Rodgers has been a major disappointment and isn't close to being the quarterback the Packers thought he was. He admitted that Rodgers hadn't proved anything on the field yet, but he also said because there isn't a full body of work on which to judge him, people need to consider what he sees every day.

"I don't understand and really care, because I don't know where it's being generated from, but the negativity toward Aaron Rodgers . . . usually your backup quarterback is on scholarship for a couple years and everyone loves him," McCarthy said. "For whatever reason, he's had a couple situations where people are trying to get after him.

"I've been in the position before with young quarterbacks. I'm very pleased where he's at right now. He's getting better."

McCarthy would normally be in Green Bay conducting his off-season quarterbacks school, which started March 19, but he is required to be at the NFL owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore Resort. His focus is on getting Rodgers and second-year pro Ingle Martin better integrated into the offensive system and ready to play if something happens to Favre next season.

Rodgers is recovering from a broken left foot he suffered in the New England game Nov. 19 at Lambeau Field after replacing an injured Favre. Though Rodgers is fully healed, McCarthy is holding off on letting him take part in on-the-field drills for a couple of weeks just to make sure he doesn't experience any problems with the foot.

At McCarthy's suggestion, Rodgers has reduced his body fat and gotten himself ready for a fairly grueling off-season conditioning program McCarthy employs for his quarterbacks. He said it was vital for Rodgers to take advantage of the personal attention he gets from McCarthy, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements this off-season.

Rodgers' performances on the field have been uninspiring and he has not shown the kind of promise previous Favre backups such as Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell and Ty Detmer did in exhibition games. The only other measure of his ability is practice time and that's what McCarthy is judging him on.

"He's improving," McCarthy said. "That's why you don't give up. He's got ability, he's bright, he's sharp. I'm not going to lie to you, you never know until they do it, they get out there and have to do it for 16 weeks. I can sit here and act like I know, but that's a whole different level to do week in and week out. But I tell you he has a bright future in my opinion."

Rodgers will have the luxury of handling much of the quarterback work until Favre comes back for the team's first mini-camp in late May. Favre is recovering from arthroscopic surgery to remove calcium deposits from his left ankle, but McCarthy said there wasn't any reason to think he wouldn't be ready for mini-camp and the organized team activities that follow.

Favre has been conducting his rehabilitation in Hattiesburg, Miss., and even had the Packers make arrangements for him to continue his work while vacationing with his family last week at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., according to McCarthy.

"He knows his body," McCarthy said. "He's on top of it. He feels good. I think that's the only trip he's taking. He said he's doing just everyday things around his property. He feels good about it. He says it really doesn't bother him.

"I'll know more at mini-camp, but I think when we hit the OTAs I want him to take that first offense and get it ready to go and get to the installs."

McCarthy said he planned on going to camp with another quarterback besides Favre, Rodgers and Martin. He still has an interest in bringing back veteran Todd Bouman, but he'll wait to see if the Packers take a quarterback in the draft.

As for Rodgers, he scoffs at reports that there have been discussions about trading him and all but assured that he would be around when training camp begins. He said he was getting tired of having to dispel the rumors.

"That's part of the business," McCarthy said of off-season trade talk. "But when it affects my football team I have a problem with that. When Aaron Rodgers has to be told, 'You're fine, you're not being traded,' I have a problem with that. Because it's not true. If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd be tired of hearing from the head coach that you're OK.

"He knows how we feel about him. We're not blind to the fact that you're always trying to improve through player acquisition. But Aaron Rodgers, I think he has a bright future here. He's going to take over one of the toughest situations ever (succeeding Favre). It's my job and Tom Clements' job and Joe Philbin's job to get him ready."

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My principal concern with him is his approval to sit back.

Yes, Brett Favre is in front of him, but isn't it much better to hear reports about "tough decision coming for McCarthy" about who to start?

I've heard little of that. Matt Hasselbeck made a name for himself as "Mr. August". Hasselbeck was far more unknown than Rodgers, yet with Rodgers you get the smiley face and "I'm happy to back up Brett" routine.

Keep in mind a second-year QB unseated an NFL starter with obviously better play in his second season. His name: Brett Favre.

Also keep in mind Rodgers has a rather large contract for someone, albeit a QB, to sit on the bench.

This will be a key year for him to see if he has the material to go to the next level.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put this article in the what else do you expect him to say category. It's all well and good that McCarthy is saying Rodgers will be fine publically, but the real question is what does he think of him privately (which we'll never know).

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting that everybody seems to have forgotten how well Rodgers played in the first two exhibition games last year. Maybe it's his own fault for not playing as well in the next two games, but still, you can't say that he hasn't shown any potential.

I think this is the year that Rodgers needs to play well enough to challenge Favre for the starting position going into 2008. He may not need to play as well as Favre in order to do that, but he needs to at least be close enough to make it a difficult decision for the coaches.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I put this article in the what else do you expect him to say category. It's all well and good that McCarthy is saying Rodgers will be fine publically, but the real question is what does he think of him privately (which we'll never know).

Completely agree wether he stays here this year or is dealt, it only helps you to say good things about him. My personal opinion is that he will be dealt someplace this year.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe how many Rogers doubters there are on this board regarding Rogers. I think the guy can play. Do I think he's going to unseat Brett Favre? No he won't. I do think that when Brett retires we will find that Rogers can run this offense efficiently and will do well. There is no reason to panic.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"That's part of the business," McCarthy said of off-season trade talk. "But when it affects my football team I have a problem with that. When Aaron Rodgers has to be told, 'You're fine, you're not being traded,' I have a problem with that. Because it's not true. If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd be tired of hearing from the head coach that you're OK.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the chance you take, anyone can be traded. I think Rodgers could eventually play well, but when someone doesnt get the chance to play and always is on the bench what do you expect? But I would rather have Favre out there, but Rodgers is lucky to be learning from Brett, look at all the QB's that went on after Favre as their teacher and did a great job. Rodgers could be one of them.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind a second-year QB unseated an NFL starter with obviously better play in his second season. His name: Brett Favre.

Also keep in mind Rodgers has a rather large contract for someone, albeit a QB, to sit on the bench.
Let's not look at history in rose colored glasses.

Keep in mind, the old addage, that you don't take a person's job after an injury. That's an old NFL understated rule.

Don Majkowski went down w/an injury, and usually NFL players are given their job back on their return. Favre was fortunate to capitalize on the games Majkowski was out and that old addage was overlooked.

Brett didn't UNSEAT Majkowski..he got in cuz of injury, and the team went w/him.

If Don Majkowski never got injured...Brett would've been how Aaron is right now.

Sitting/Waiting...

We may have NEVER KNOWN how good Brett was going to be if Majik was not injured..and people would be talking about Brett being a waste of a backup and should be traded..etc etc as people are w/Aaron right now.

As for Aaron's contract..you think he's just talking the talk and his contract's rather big? Aaron makes just over a million dollars on his base contract..that's AVERAGE for a late first round pick.

His contract stipulates that if he were to be the STARTER..his base salary would jump to 5 million. Think about that. If Brett retired 2 years ago..Aaron would be getting that escalator clause in his salary. But since Brett has stayed longer than he hinted...he actually cost Aaron almost 8 million dollars in salary.

Aaron's been happy to forfeit that escalator clause in his contract and has not complained.

This truly is a proving year for Aaron. The only real way to judge him, is if Brett (knock on wood) were out for 2-3 games..and we could see Aaron under those conditions. But of course..he's behind the guy who NEVER does that. So we are all left guessing/wondering...and some burying a guy who has never had a chance to really play...

Members online

Latest posts