McCarthy a breath of fresh air

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great win today, and I was glad to see McCarthy once again REMAIN AGGRESSIVE and ADJUST HIS STRATEGY as the game wore on. I was one of the many who criticized McCarthy's first-and-goal-on-the-one brainfart in Buffalo last week, not because it was a pass but because it was an extremely risky pass that required perfect execution to work.

But I love it that McCarthy does not play to lose when the game is on the line, like most coaches do. He will pass if necessary to get first downs, keep the clock running, and yes, to generate points to help secure victories. He was also smart enough to realize that the run was not working today, so he switched to short passes to gain yards and chew up the clock.

What a breath of fresh air this guy is. His team showed no fear in the Metrodome today.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that I predicted the exact score of this game just minutes before kickoff in the "[POLL] Gameday" thread. Just call me Nostradamus! Here's what I posted:

I like the Packers in this one. I think they are playing better all-around than the Vikings right now. It will be hard at the beginning because the Vikings and their crowd will be fired up, and I hear that the Packers will be using a silent snap count that may take some getting used to. But if they can weather the storm and at least keep it even during the first quarter, I think they will be on their way to victory. Packers 23-17

What's my prize, Ryan? A set of steak knives, maybe?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering what the hell he was doing throwing the football at the end of the game there, but other than that, MM did a good job today. Best coaching move today was along our OL today. After initially living in our backfield, Pat Williams was invisible after about the mid point of the second quarter (Kevin too).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you were wondering why we were passing? Ahmans 22 attempts and 53 yards doesnt tell you why? Vikes were all over our run game, and MM has shown that he will put the ball in Favres HoF hands if he has to.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying our O-line sucks, it's actually pretty good...

I agree. It's actually pretty talented overall. Just lacks experience. Once these guys REALLY get comfy playing together we may have one of the top 5 lines in all of football. Pass protection needs to get better, though.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you were wondering why we were passing? Ahmans 22 attempts and 53 yards doesnt tell you why? Vikes were all over our run game, and MM has shown that he will put the ball in Favres HoF hands if he has to.

Especially when Favre plays the way he did today. Talk about poise, my goodness.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tauscher got hurt, and the line didnt drop a beat! Moll(i think) came in, and we went on with business as usual. THAT was impressive.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not the clearest post on my part. I had no problem with passing early on in the drive, but when we were in FG range already (with around 3 minutes left) and passed on two of three downs I was kind of screaming at the TV. We should have run it 3 times in a row and taken two minutes off the clock.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Not the clearest post on my part. I had no problem with passing early on in the drive, but when we were in FG range already (with around 3 minutes left) and passed on two of three downs I was kind of screaming at the TV. We should have run it 3 times in a row and taken two minutes off the clock.

I also would have liked to see runs, and I said this on PbP, but the pass plays that WERE ran, were really safe. A lot of flat routes for willie and some safe stuff for brett, and what did brett do on the last one when he didnt have anything? HE THREW IT AWAY! I WAS SO PSYCHED!

Brett and the offense in general are coming together. They are an aggressive team, it is their identity it seems.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I also would have liked to see runs, and I said this on PbP, but the pass plays that WERE ran, were really safe. A lot of flat routes for willie and some safe stuff for brett, and what did brett do on the last one when he didnt have anything? HE THREW IT AWAY! I WAS SO PSYCHED!

Brett and the offense in general are coming together. They are an aggressive team, it is their identity it seems.

I agree i loved the fact he tossed it away..

How many recall VERY EARLY on when he 1st became starter, fans would cheer when he would toss it away like that??

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I agree i loved the fact he tossed it away..

How many recall VERY EARLY on when he 1st became starter, fans would cheer when he would toss it away like that??

I think brett has to realize that sometimes just doing the smart thing is what makes you a winner. Not always "making a play" and good for Favre to realize "hey a field goal here seals the deal" and just tosses it before he gets sacked or blinded with a fumble etc etc.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol his offensive style sucks, I wonder why the eagles are so much better this season on offense than last :p

I have to say I'm much happier we have MM than BC, but I have to wonder if Brad Johnson is the reason his offense is so conservative and awful. That guy is looking ooollllddddd.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually like brad johnson. I was PISSED when he started and not culpepper, cuz hes better than culpepper.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tauscher got hurt, and the line didnt drop a beat! Moll(i think) came in, and we went on with business as usual. THAT was impressive.

Green Bay has 3 young rookie lineman that are versatile and that are good. I think this line has a lot of potential to be great in the coming years.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually like brad johnson. I was PISSED when he started and not culpepper, cuz hes better than culpepper.

I've always been a fan of johnson, but right now he just doesn't look very good.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have any playmakers on offense right now.
An older caretaker QB and no WR or RB's to speak of.

And I'm glad Pep and Moss are gone .....they are on downside of their careers.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have any playmakers on offense right now.
An older caretaker QB and no WR or RB's to speak of.

And I'm glad Pep and Moss are gone .....they are on downside of their careers.

Hard to tell with Moss considering his QB doesn't get any time and stinks on top of that with an ancient offense they are running.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts