Mayock Picks Ragland

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL.....I had to go in there with a few gallons of gasolene :) Can't ask for more fun then seeing panic!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed. I hope Clark will be a good player but wanted Ragland. They could trade up to get him in the 2nd but...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm disappointed. I hope Clark will be a good player but wanted Ragland. They could trade up to get him in the 2nd but...

I would love to see them draft Ragland, Mack or Smith, but when is the big question and how do you position yourself to take one? You would have to guess that TT and Co. are fully aware of all 3 players "perceived value" at this time. My guess is Ragland and Mack are close in position with Smith being a round behind.

The fact that TT didn't grab Ragland in the first, leads me to believe the Packers don't value him even as an early 2nd round pick or he just couldn't pass on Clark.

If we see TT start trading up, you might want to brace yourselves to hear one of those names called. Or we may just get lucky and one is on the board and worth the risk when it is our slotted pick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see them draft Ragland, Mack or Smith, but when is the big question and how do you position yourself to take one? You would have to guess that TT and Co. are fully aware of all 3 players "perceived value" at this time. My guess is Ragland and Mack are close in position with Smith being a round behind.

The fact that TT didn't grab Ragland in the first, leads me to believe the Packers don't value him even as an early 2nd round pick or he just couldn't pass on Clark.

If we see TT start trading up, you might want to brace yourselves to hear one of those names called. Or we may just get lucky and one is on the board and worth the risk when it is our slotted pick.

Here's the thing for me. If the med determinations on the above 3 guys are bad enough to either seriously diminish their ability or out and out prematurely end their careers, then there is zero value in drafting any of them, even in the 7th round.
Trading up from very late in the round to early or even mid round will be very tough to do.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you are right. And we do not really have that info.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's the thing for me. If the med determinations on the above 3 guys are bad enough to either seriously diminish their ability or out and out prematurely end their careers, then there is zero value in drafting any of them, even in the 7th round.
Trading up from very late in the round to early or even mid round will be very tough to do.

I think all 3 guys will be drafted. It's just a matter of when. Everyone loves a bargain, TT included. I can't imagine that the fan base and GM's of every team are not looking at all 3 players and saying "oh hell yes, but when?". Teams without needs at LB or that don't want this decision distracting them, may have opted out. That being said, with our obvious needs at LB, if TT and Co. are not taking a serious look at one or all 3 of these guys and trying to figure out the "when to draft" part, IMO, they aren't doing their job.

H

HardRightEdge

Med determinations for these kinds of issues are rarely definitive in that way. More like a range of possibilites, best case and worst case. It's a risk / reward calculation and ultimately a football decision colored by the decision maker's taste for risk. The longer Thompson's string of playoff appearances, the more conservative he's been in the draft.

Judging from the first pick, I'd say risk aversion is firmly in place. He already said pre-draft, "I like or ILBs". And he has finally conceded that he looks at the depth chart and longevity issues in terms of need, as if we didn't know that all along, whereas he seems comfortable at the ILB position.

So, given the variety of factors, I would not expect him to have interest in any of those 3 guys before somebody else steps in to take the risk.

Needs from a depth chart and longevity standpoint (whether age or potential free agency) suggests a couple of more likely possibilities on day 2: O-Line, OLB, or even D-Line once again if Pennel is on the way out, which the Clark pick hints may be a possibility.

We're where we've been for the last 5 years: do what it takes to fill holes and get back to the playoffs, then see what happens. High ceiling / low floor is not in the cards.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The longer Thompson's string of playoff appearances, the more conservative he's been in the draft.

So true and probably my biggest frustration with TT, almost too afraid to make a mistake in the draft or FA market. Not saying he shouldn't be GM, but some of us are fine with seeing him take a bit more risk. In the case of Jack, Ragland or Smith, the risk of the pick can be justified (in my mind) due to the need and potential upside. When you look at the draft history of our 3rd rounders on, how much are we really risking by using one of those picks to play the lottery just once?

H

HardRightEdge

So true and probably my biggest frustration with TT, almost too afraid to make a mistake in the draft or FA market. Not saying he shouldn't be GM, but some of us are fine with seeing him take a bit more risk. In the case of Jack, Ragland or Smith, the risk of the pick can be justified (in my mind) due to the need and potential upside. When you look at the draft history of our 3rd rounders on, how much are we really risking by using one of those picks to play the lottery just once?
It would appear Ragland is the least compromised medically from what I've read. I think that's a dead possibility, though. The odds are simply that a less risk averse GM will take the shot before Thompson would consider it.

Let's hope Ryan develops as I think he might and Barrington is in full recovery mode. Otherwise I fear another instance of a playoff spiraling gyre with the center not holding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were to place a bet, both Jack and Ragland will be gone by the 20th pick or so in round 2. So if TT wants either of them, hes going to have to trade up probably 8-12 spots (give or take) to get one. But hey, Jack might slide all the way to us again. Stranger things have happened. But I do believe that Ragland gets drafted before Jack does in round 2 with what I'm seeing and hearing. Yesterday a lot of talk was that teams are scared to death that Jack wont last through his rookie contract before that knee goes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to pick a word or term that sums up my problems/criticisms of TT, it would be risk averse.
He has self constructed and self imposed a box with a glass ceiling over it that he will not go past, even with a gun to his head.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to pick a word or term that sums up my problems/criticisms of TT, it would be risk averse.
He has self constructed and self imposed a box with a glass ceiling over it that he will not go past, even with a gun to his head.

Well, no team in the entire first round thought that the guys we as fans wanted were worth drafting in round 1. So I don't think its fair to put this pick on TT this time. Mainly due to the fact that this seems like a universal unanimous decision by every single owner, GM and scout in the league. Is Clark a **** pick? No. But then again, no team in the whole first round thought that Jack, Ragland, Billings and whoever else didn't make it in round 1 was either.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify; it's not about this pick. It's about his body of work over a period of years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is Clark a **** pick? No. But then again, no team in the whole first round thought that Jack, Ragland, Billings and whoever else didn't make it in round 1 was either.

Those were my thoughts exactly as I went to bed, wondering why Clark. As many have pointed out, many of us had an even stronger reaction to the Randall pick last year, but it worked out.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it was our pick, I said to myself (Even with Jack and Ragland on the board, we are selecting Billings here, watch!) and I was close, LMAO.

H

HardRightEdge

As many have pointed out, many of us had an even stronger reaction to the Randall pick last year, but it worked out.
Did it though? Would this have been a better defense with Rollins at corner and Kendricks in the middle, assuming Rollins didn't get injured, which you certainly would not have predicted at the time? I believe so.

In fact, I'm still not convinced Rollins will not prove to be the better perimeter corner if he ever gets a chance to play there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Did it though? Would this have been a better defense with Rollins at corner and Kendricks in the middle, assuming Rollins didn't get injured, which you certainly would not have predicted at the time? I believe so.

In fact, I'm still not convinced Rollins will not prove to be the better perimeter corner if he ever gets a chance to play there.

Looking back now, I think Kendricks would have been an awesome pick as well, especially with Barrington going down. But I am guessing that in last years draft, as well as possibly this years, TT and Co. are content with who they have at ILB or don't feel the need to upgrade with a high pick. At least he drafted Ryan last year, but by no means did Ryan have quite the impact of Kendricks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts