Mayock Picks Ragland

H

HardRightEdge

Good to see you all are excited for Ragland.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Can't wait to see the disappointment tonight.
So what don't you like in those Ragland clips? That's he's not Jaylon Smith? Well, what a surprise. Smith would have been arguably the best player in this draft once you get past the QB desperation.

The fact you seem unaware of the nature of Smith's injury discredits your opinions.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the only thing that would worry me a bit is that he had such a great D Line in front of him. Two players in the first round most likely. And I would not mind having one of them either. Still, would love to see him drop to us. I don't think Pit or seattle will take him.

See now this is a legitimate concern. Our defensive line needs a lot of work and may hang a pick like Ragland out to dry. That's why I'd be ok with a DL pick in the first. Just have to hope the pick isn't a bust.

H

HardRightEdge

See now this is a legitimate concern. Our defensive line needs a lot of work and may hang a pick like Ragland out to dry. That's why I'd be ok with a DL pick in the first. Just have to hope the pick isn't a bust.
That Ragland is a concern because he backed a good line might be evidence of not actually looking at the tape.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess the only thing that would worry me a bit is that he had such a great D Line in front of him. Two players in the first round most likely. And I would not mind having one of them either. Still, would love to see him drop to us. I don't think Pit or seattle will take him.

A legit concern with any player, college or Pro. Are they good because of the system and/or the players around them or are they just flat out good? I haven't watched hours of film on Ragland, but in the 10-20 minutes of various footage and 2 Bama games that I did watch, Ragland looked like the real deal out their. I'm not a scout, but what I like most about him, is his nose for the ball. Call it good instincts, mental alertness, whatever, but he seems to be very checked into the play and knows where the ball is during it. Which is what you need at ILB. How many times did we see Palmer, Thomas, Ryan, etc. look totally lost during a play?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ragland is one of those ILB's that will lead your team in tackles every year and probably always almost hit that 150 tackle mark with 3-5 sacks and a few forced fumbles.

H

HardRightEdge

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

The only thing that would excuse Thompson from idiot jail in passing on this guy is if there is something going on with that shoulder. However, nobody seems to be concerned about it at this point. I'm failing to see how he could possibly last to #27.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I almost hate even talking or reading about Ragland, because I fully expect him not to be on the board at #27.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see him lasting either...but Mayock does. We will probably get a D Lineman or a W/O. Please no TE. Would definitely take an O lineman b4 a TE.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've often wondered with our FA guard situation next season, if TT would ponder drafting Cody Whitehair at 27 if hes there......not a **** pick at all, but its more of a "look ahead pick" type of thing. meh, I say draft for now! Win now baby! I hope Ragland is there.

H

HardRightEdge

Ragland is one of those ILB's that will lead your team in tackles every year and probably always almost hit that 150 tackle mark with 3-5 sacks and a few forced fumbles.
150 tackles would be an exaggeration, but the idea here is well taken.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've often wondered with our FA guard situation next season, if TT would ponder drafting Cody Whitehair at 27 if hes there......not a **** pick at all, but its more of a "look ahead pick" type of thing. meh, I say draft for now! Win now baby! I hope Ragland is there.

I´m a bit concerned about Whitehair only bench pressing 225 pounds only 16 times at the combine and because of it about a lack of strength.

H

HardRightEdge

If it came down to that, I think I'd prefer Garnett or an OT conversion over Whitehair. Really, though, you'd have to think D-Line in that case.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost hate even talking or reading about Ragland, because I fully expect him not to be on the board at #27.

right? but we do it every year and it's fun until that moment comes when he's off the board :D seems unlikely, so i'm trying to focus on more likely scenarios. shoutbox should be fun tonight.

D

Deleted member 6794

If it came down to that, I think I'd prefer Garnett or an OT conversion over Whitehair. Really, though, you'd have to think D-Line in that case.

Garnett struggles in pass protection and is best suited to play in a man blocking scheme though.

H

HardRightEdge

Garnett struggles in pass protection and is best suited to play in a man blocking scheme though.
Whitehair is the more ready-to-play guy. Polished technique. The guy who would be drafted will be pegged for the bench with a year to get coached up. When I see Garnett get out to the second level and pancake guys, I see a RG with Lang switching to the left.

Either way, Thompson is not going to spend a first round pick on a true OG. He's had too much success over the years finding them in the middle rounds to go counter to form. An OT maybe to hedge bets...they might like enough of him once he's in house to not spend $7 - $8 mil on Bahktiari, or move him to OG if he doesn't quite project in that way, and let Sitton or Lang walk.

In any even there will be a hole on the O-Line to fill next year. But it would have to be a player with a compelling value proposition (i.e., best player available by some margin) to not fill a hole on the D-Line that is of more immediate concern.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
right? but we do it every year and it's fun until that moment comes when he's off the board :D seems unlikely, so i'm trying to focus on more likely scenarios. shoutbox should be fun tonight.

If I venture into the Shoutbox tonight, I am fully prepared to read at least once, that the Packer 2016 season is over and that TT needs to be fired.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I venture into the Shoutbox tonight, I am fully prepared to read at least once, that the Packer 2016 season is over and that TT needs to be fired.

haha, no kidding. The sky is falling and fire TT posts are coming already!

H

HardRightEdge

I definitely will not be following the shoutbox this evening. I expect a full recap (ugh!) tomorrow. ;)

Do me a favor though...if Thompson passes on Ragland quote me as saying "Thompson is an idiot". :eek:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But honestly, I wont be mad at what we pick at 27 as long as its not a legit reach. If we pick Ragland, Coleman or some defensive tackle or maybe even a pass rusher, i'd be happy. If we picked an OL, while not ****, I wouldn't exactly be happy, but I wouldn't be mad either.

I think we'll be fine.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But honestly, I wont be mad at what we pick at 27 as long as its not a legit reach. If we pick Ragland, Coleman or some defensive tackle or maybe even a pass rusher, i'd be happy. If we picked an OL, while not ****, I wouldn't exactly be happy, but I wouldn't be mad either.

I think we'll be fine.

yeah, i feel pretty good about this year
last year, there really wasn't anyone i was super-hyped about in the 1st with shaq thompson probably being the closest
then there have been years when i put all my eggs in a basket or two like with cj mosley and haha in 2014
but i feel like there are a lot of guys i could be very happy with this year

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You really sound like a homer at this point for Ragland.

H

HardRightEdge

yeah, i feel pretty good about this year
last year, there really wasn't anyone i was super-hyped about in the 1st with shaq thompson probably being the closest
then there have been years when i put all my eggs in a basket or two like with cj mosley and haha in 2014
but i feel like there are a lot of guys i could be very happy with this year
I regret Thompson passed on Kendricks, Randall notwithstanding. The possible good news is Ragland is a better player than Kendricks.

Members online

Latest posts