Mayock Picks Ragland

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if we got Ragland. I don't know how well he can cover but he is certainly big enough to check the TE on passing downs. He may be the guy in the middle that I have wanted for a long time.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pick ragland too. Drop a 3rd to move up even... Go get him if he comes close...

Only thing that will make me feel better if ragland gets picked before us... one of those big fast strong dts to help the defense.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ragland can't cover at all. He's one of the slowest LBs in the draft. I honestly hope we don't get him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ragland can't cover at all. He's one of the slowest LBs in the draft. I honestly hope we don't get him.
I have heard otherwise. I think people see his size and assume he cant cover. But im hearing he does pretty good in coverage. But his physical play is the reason to go get him. He tackles. He goes and gets the ball .......like mama says.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard otherwise. I think people see his size and assume he cant cover. But im hearing he does pretty good in coverage. But his physical play is the reason to go get him. He tackles. He goes and gets the ball .......like mama says.

If Packers want a 2 down, downhill thumper then by all means go ahead. However, his coverage ability is extremely bad. I'll have to find the video but someone on YouTube broke down how Alabama used to remove him from obvious passing downs because they knew the opposing QB was about to abuse him. It's a bit of a catch 22. We need beef in the middle to shore up the run D, but then we'll get abised by middle seam stretching TEs and RBs. I honestly hope we can get Darron Lee or Ashawn Robinson.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a Ragland type and a Darren lee type linebacker. They would make a perfect combination. Ragland is in the Patrick Willis mold a type of ilb I don't think we have ever had since we started running the 3-4. We can't get both Lee and Ragland. So I think ideal situation is Ragland in the first and a Dieon jones in the 2nd round. Jones could be just as good as Lee. If we could grab jaylon smith in the 3rd for good measure that would be perfect. If the medical staff is confident smith will make a full recovery I would say grab him in the 2nd instead of jones. As a combo of smith and Ragland on the inside in 2017 would give the packers the top ilb duo in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Ragland doesn´t have the best straight line speed in the draft class he has superb instincts and takes great angles to help mitigate the lack of speed and because of it works pretty well downhill when in coverage. I would be excited to draft him in the first round.

I honestly hope we can get Darron Lee or Ashawn Robinson.

While Darron Lee is one of the fastest inside linebackers he´s a liability in coverage because he completely lacks instincts and doesn´t have any feel for zones. I would be extremely disappointed if we end up drafting him.

We need a Ragland type and a Darren lee type linebacker. They would make a perfect combination. Ragland is in the Patrick Willis mold a type of ilb I don't think we have ever had since we started running the 3-4. We can't get both Lee and Ragland. So I think ideal situation is Ragland in the first and a Dieon jones in the 2nd round. Jones could be just as good as Lee. If we could grab jaylon smith in the 3rd for good measure that would be perfect. If the medical staff is confident smith will make a full recovery I would say grab him in the 2nd instead of jones. As a combo of smith and Ragland on the inside in 2017 would give the packers the top ilb duo in the league.

The Packers don´t need an inside linebacker like Lee or Deion Jones. While both are highly athletic they are completely overrated football players and don´t have the talent to address the Packers needs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because Darren Lee is fast for a LB doesn't mean he can cover, and he surely can't take on a blocker to save his life. He doesn't even try. I've seen safeties weighing 200lbs mix it up more than he does.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Ragland doesn´t have the best straight line speed in the draft class he has superb instincts and takes great angles to help mitigate the lack of speed and because of it works pretty well downhill when in coverage. I would be excited to draft him in the first round.

While Darron Lee is one of the fastest inside linebackers he´s a liability in coverage because he completely lacks instincts and doesn´t have any feel for zones. I would be extremely disappointed if we end up drafting him.

Disagree. Ragland is even more of a liability in coverage and the only reason he didn't get blown out in any passing down was because of Alabama's zone coverage which sort of covered up Ragland's deficiency. He still regularly got abused to the point where he was being removed from passing downs because he was the weakest link. That's not good any way you to try to slice it. Compared to Lee, I would have to say Ragland is the overrated one and would be a truly disastrous reach if TT gets him. In any case, I don't expect him to be there at #27 anyway so I'm not particularly worried.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think Lee offers? I haven't seen anything that shows he can cover anyone any better than anyone else really and he looks like he's just in the way on defense. Unless of course there is nobody in front of him, but if there is, he avoids them rather than getting to the ball carrier or at least taking them on and freeing someone else to get to the ball carrier. If your ILB can't stick his nose in somewhere, he's useless at the position

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee is sort of similar to TJ Green. Green is definitely a little more raw, but I still think the comparison stands. They are both being considered in the first because of their measurables. Teams are expecting to be able to coach up their deficiencies. Both of these guys are fast, but miss a lot of tackles. Lee also gets hung up by blocks quite often.

I'll take a Ragland over Lee all day. He's more NFL ready and that's what we need. Also, there was an article not to long ago that discussed that the Packers don't use their linebackers in coverage that often and it's our safeties that we rely on to cover tight ends. If that's true, then we need a field general like Ragland.

All this being said, I'd be fine with taking a player like Billings and then double dipping in the later rounds for some ILBs.

H

HardRightEdge

I was a skeptical myself, but his coverage on Hunter Henry at 4:56 in the following clip tipped the scales for me:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm reminded of what the esteemed football analyst John Keats ;) had to say about lacking a presence in the middle of the field:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between the 2 Ragland is my choice, easily over Lee. Don't care if he can run a 4.5 or not. That said, i'm not certain we don't go along the DL or an OLB prospect that falls in the first anyway, regardless of which ILB is still available. Though I would not be disappointed getting a guy of Ragland's caliber in the first at all.

H

HardRightEdge

Mayock did raise the question of his weight drifting up to 250 whereas in his opinion he should be playing at 240. There may or may not be something to that. If the tape I've seen is a 247 lb. player, as Ragland weighed in at the Combine, he shouldn't change a thing.

Mayock also reported that he did 13 reps on the bench at his Pro Day after skipping it at the Combine, though I have not seen that officially reported. It is believed he was struggling with a shoulder injury. To me, that's the only question mark.

Watch the tape. His ability to read the offense and anticipate the play makes some of these speedier alternatives look like guys just runnin' around. He simply processes faster than these other guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lee is sort of similar to TJ Green. Green is definitely a little more raw, but I still think the comparison stands. They are both being considered in the first because of their measurables. Teams are expecting to be able to coach up their deficiencies. Both of these guys are fast, but miss a lot of tackles. Lee also gets hung up by blocks quite often.

There´s no way Green should be selected anywhere near the first round.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You don't watch Alabama football much, if at all, do you? I do, and Ragland is better than people think he is in space. Don't let his speed fool you. Ragland is more than capable of being a 3 down ILB in the NFL. Ragland is a prime example of being a player who plays faster than his 40 time. His ability to diagnose plays is impressive. And against the run? He destroys RB's. It would be extremely fun watching old College buddies Ragland and Lacy go head up in training camp :)

Also, Ragland is the best defensive leader in this draft. He is a good guy in general and a great locker room guy too. Ragland is a plug and play from day 1 and some team (hopefully us?) will have a 10-12 year ILB who probably makes several pro bowls.

Last edited:

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see you all are excited for Ragland.

Can't wait to see the disappointment tonight.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see you all are excited for Ragland.

Can't wait to see the disappointment tonight.

So you post a video with Jaylon Smith in it. Who wont even play this season and who knows if he'll even play a down of football ever again? lol. ;)

Anyway, what makes you say Ragland isn't a 3 down ILB? People here have stated why he is and can be. You have yet to say why he isn't besides giving us some blanket statements and parroting what some random "pundit" says, which by the way, some "pundits" have even said Ragland can be a 3 down ILB too. How many Alabama games have you watched with him playing?

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol You haven't stated anything except "I've watched Alabama games and I know he's blah blah." You discredit the video I posted but if you watched Alabama games during the season you would have seen how apparent his lack of coverage skills were. I'm not saying that he is a bad player. If you need someone to fill the middle line and stop the run, he's your guy. However, his coverage skills leave much to be desired and if we draft him, it's going to be a Barrington/Ryan situation all over again. We need someone who can both cover and play the run. Some of you need to stop drinking the koolaid seriously. If he is as good as you keep making him, he wouldn't even be a talking point as he would be an obvious top 20 draft pick right? Good grief.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol You haven't stated anything except "I've watched Alabama games and I know he's blah blah." You discredit the video I posted but if you watched Alabama games during the season you would have seen how apparent his lack of coverage skills were. I'm not saying that he is a bad player. If you need someone to fill the middle line and stop the run, he's your guy. However, his coverage skills leave much to be desired and if we draft him, it's going to be a Barrington/Ryan situation all over again. We need someone who can both cover and play the run. Some of you need to stop drinking the koolaid seriously. If he is as good as you keep making him, he wouldn't even be a talking point as he would be an obvious top 20 draft pick right? Good grief.

Geez, stop evaluating Ragland because of his 40 time and look at his tape. Having some straight line speed is important to be able to cover running backs or tight ends but when having great instincts a time under 4.75 is good enough. On the other hand Lee and Deion Jones are great athletes but not anywhere close to being as good a football player as Ragland.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You fail at evaluating prospects. I'd get off this thread before you dig your hole deeper.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*jumps into his time machine to watch Ragland suit up at the ProBowl*

Edit: Hopefully, wearing a Packer helmet (Ragland, not me).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the only thing that would worry me a bit is that he had such a great D Line in front of him. Two players in the first round most likely. And I would not mind having one of them either. Still, would love to see him drop to us. I don't think Pit or seattle will take him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts