Maybe the Pack could get Reggie Bush...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that didn't see the Nat. Champ. game, Vince Young showed who really deserved the Heisman by dominating USC's defense, and saying that he upstaged guys like Lendale White, Leinhart, and Bush is a MAJOR understatement.

In terms of Bush...he had a very pedestrian game and may have been the 4th best USC player (White, Leinhart, Jarret). I don't know if this will significantly alter the draft, but I think it might have at least instilled some doubt about Bush, at least relative to some of the other players from last night.

How this applies to the Packers...I bet White will be available, at #5...and he looked like he MIGHT have more pro potential...thoughts?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about pedestrian. He averaged something like 15 yards a touch and against a pretty good D (though every defensive player on that field looked like they attended the Nick Barnett school of tackling).

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, I should probably be more careful w/ my words...but I think it's safe to say he was the 5th best player last night...Jarrett and Leinhart took over the 2nd half, Young dominated the whole game...and White was the guy they called on in crunch time.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO CHANCE of Reggie Bush slipping to the #5 slot in the draft - just my opinion. If you look at his numbers over this season and his career, this guy won't fall past #2 and probably will be the Texans first pick. I agree with your assessment on the game last night, however. White had an excellent game but I still think Bush will be the better pro. The key is that this year, Bush showed that he can run between the tackles as well, so he proved he can be the every down back for an NFL team.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? The Heisman was given out before last night and is based on the whole season. I hate USC but Bush deserved the Heisman. Vince Young had an incredible game but Bush is the better pro prospect. If the Packers do get a shot at him I hope he has a "pedestrian" day like that every Sunday. Did you see that TD run in the 4th quarter. Those were not slow players on the Texas defense that thought they had the angle on him. The middle of the line was opened up for White because Mack Brown wanted to make sure Bush didn't beat them outside. Don't get carried away. Here is a sample SAT question for you.....White is to Anthony Thomas .....as Bush is to.......

A) Marshall Faulk
B) Barry Sanders
C) None of the above....he is faster!

Choose your poison.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush was used mainly as a decoy last night (great coaching by everyone's fair haired boy Pete Carroll) but when he was given a shot, he looked like a combination of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. The guy seems to gain the edge at will and isn't afraid to lower his shoulder against guys who are 20-30 lbs. heavier. Bush is going to be special.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vince Young is definitely talented..BUT...

I could see getting his clock cleaned in the NFL with the straight up and down running that he does....

Let me tell you...the Pros WILL know how to take the angles on him...its a faster game....

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm just wondering if young will drop to the # 5 pick. i'm a big favre supporter, and would like the pack to take a shot at getting brett back for a winning season. but young looks so good, i don't see how you could pass him over.

i really doubt white would be picked b/f reggie bush, but if young and bush are gone as well as aj hawk, i'd like to see lendale white in a packer uniform.

figure, young, bush, lienhart, hawk are gone, do we take de mario williams, or a rb.

any input?

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
What? The Heisman was given out before last night and is based on the whole season. I hate USC but Bush deserved the Heisman. Vince Young had an incredible game but Bush is the better pro prospect. If the Packers do get a shot at him I hope he has a "pedestrian" day like that every Sunday. Did you see that TD run in the 4th quarter. Those were not slow players on the Texas defense that thought they had the angle on him. The middle of the line was opened up for White because Mack Brown wanted to make sure Bush didn't beat them outside. Don't get carried away. Here is a sample SAT question for you.....White is to Anthony Thomas .....as Bush is to.......

A) Marshall Faulk
B) Barry Sanders
C) None of the above....he is faster!

Choose your poison.

To be honest, I was sort of writing the post to get a little reaction or spark some discussion, so I understand why Bush received the heisman, but I do think Young was somewhat overlooked, and last night was an illustration of this.

I do think last night provided some evidence for why some ppl think he may be overrated, though. He did have 2-3 stellar plays (the TD, the run when he did the latteral was good up to that point), but White showed a lot more consistency, and was the guy they called on to get the important yards. I still think Bush will be a #1, but I think the game may have adjusted the value of Bush, White, and Young.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bush is great for College, I don't see it converting into the NFL unless he switchs to WR.

he'll play a brian westbrook-type role with a little more productivity...not this league changing output that a lot of people are calling for

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, if a team wants a "Brian Westbrook" type player, Brian Calhoun is damn near as dynamic a player as Bush in that role...and would come much cheaper late 1st round or first half of second round.

Not a whole lot of drop off between the two, but for an every down back, I do not believe Bush or Calhoun will live up to the hype in the pros. Their size may lead to durability issues as every down players.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Calhoun going to come out though? I think he might stay because he has a shot at being a top 10 pick next season if he stays for his senior year and might only be a 2nd rounder this season which is a huge difference in money. Personally I'd love him to come out and then to grab him in the 2nd round but I think he's going to stay in school.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard second round, possibly late 1st if a team has a real ******* for him. The Auburn game apparently boosted his stock significantly. Speaking of which, Brandon Williams, although a little slight of build, looks like he has the makings of a nice pro....another quality WR from Wisconsin.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
digs..

I don't know about that...

They said the same **** about Tiki Barber's size and the NFL and look at him!!

Members online

Latest posts