Max is back

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to see him back. I think he has long term potential to develop into a pretty good player.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's because they plan on trading Randall Cobb to New England for Jimmy G and adraft pick?? Haha jk but I am curious as to why they brought a Wr back. Yes he returns kicks..but we don't need a return guy at all with these Kickoff rules.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not know why, but I really like this move. I really like McCaffery as a player. Do not see much value in having another WR, unless a trade is in the works or they do not plan on re-signing Adams (high price tag- I get that).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our WRs still don't get a ton of separation on a consistent basis. From high up in the endzone on Sunday, I watched our WRs continuously run mediocre routes as the Saints CBs stayed in their hip pockets. I'm not sure that Max is the answer, but we still need more speed. I feel like our team is turning into an entire collection of James Jones. While I loved JJ, he had a role. It's like starting five right tackles across your line instead of guys suited for each position.

Max showed a lot of heart and maybe, this move is to bring in another guy that Hundley developed a rapport with during camp. Allison showed some stuff when he was allowed to be in the game, but then got yanked. I'm not understanding some of our personnel moves lately.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was really happy when I saw that the Jags released Max the other day and hoped the Packers would pick him up. Just like Calahan last year, I don't think MM and TT thought they would lose Max and he would safely slide to the PS during the final cutdowns. He didn't, but he is back in Green and Gold! A season changer? Nahhhh.......but a guy I really liked and someone who became a "go to" guy for all the backup QB's in camp. So maybe we see him promoted soon, to help give Hundley a target he was very familiar with. Janis and Davis might be looking over their shoulders once again?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Weren't some people in here saying Barclay was our #6 OL behind the 5 starters? Maybe the injury and the history of his injuries was finally enough for the Packers to not want to hang on to him any longer, but also may say something about how shallow our OL depth really has been since ........last year.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like so many people being down on Janis, I am not a fan of Davis. If Max could take some punt returns I say give him a shot. All I ever see Davis doing is waving for a fair catch within the 15 yard line or making some other horrible decision.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just like so many people being down on Janis, I am not a fan of Davis. If Max could take some punt returns I say give him a shot. All I ever see Davis doing is waving for a fair catch within the 15 yard line or making some other horrible decision.

This year neither Janis or Davis look very special IMO. Neither of them have played much at WR and Davis is the only one of them that even has a catch...one. Janis failed at his kick returning job and was replaced by Davis, I prefer Davis back there and he actually has done some nice things. For the most part Janis is a non factor as a gunner and actually whiffed on 3 chances so far to make a clean recovery of a fumble on punt returns.

I'm fine with seeing Max take either of their spots, but would lean more towards saying goodbye to JJ.....his contract is up at the end of the year anyway. Davis has 2 years left on his rookie contract and I wouldn't be ready to give up on him quite yet.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really happy when I saw that the Jags released Max the other day and hoped the Packers would pick him up. Just like Calahan last year, I don't think MM and TT thought they would lose Max and he would safely slide to the PS during the final cutdowns. He didn't, but he is back in Green and Gold! A season changer? Nahhhh.......but a guy I really liked and someone who became a "go to" guy for all the backup QB's in camp. So maybe we see him promoted soon, to help give Hundley a target he was very familiar with. Janis and Davis might be looking over their shoulders once again?
Davis .... probably not.. Janis.. frankly I'm surprised he is still on the 53. It appears he is no longer even back there for kickoffs.

Reaction score
For the most part Janis is a non factor as a gunner
I have noticed several games this year where he was double teamed on more than one occasion. That in itself is a huge compliment because it speaks to what they saw on film or early in the game.
I do however have concerns about the lack of KR attempts he has had.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So our season is saved by a guy we cut once, and who was then was cut by Jacksonville. Yippee.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have noticed several games this year where he was double teamed on more than one occasion. That in itself is a huge compliment because it speaks to what they saw on film or early in the game.
I do however have concerns about the lack of KR attempts he has had.
Double teaming a gunner is common. He seemed to be able to get through those double teams 2 years ago, not so much anymore. Like I have said, as long as he is special on special teams, he will probably be a Packer.....I think his "special" time has run its course.

As far as kickoff attempts, that is mostly due to deep kicks by the other team. The few times he did decided to bring it out though, he did squadoosh with the opportunity and I think was tackled well short of the 20.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So our season is saved by a guy we cut once, and who was then was cut by Jacksonville. Yippee.
I don't think anyone is saying a guy they picked up and put on the PS is a season saver, just a nice pickup of a guy that showed a lot of hustle, brains and good hands during training camp and preseason.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, well if Hundley goes down it will be up to a guy that we cut who was subsequently cut by the Saints and then the Browns lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"The few times one time he did decided to bring it out though"
FIFY

Few as in two. Janis has 2 returns this year for a grand total of 28 yards, with his longest one being 17 yards. Think one of them included a muff to start out and he left himself no choice but to try and return it. If you want to include the preseason, I think the picture of his kick return abilities become even clearer and explain why Davis is now handling the few opportunities presented to kick returners in the NFL.

Davis has 4 kickoff returns and is averaging 26.8 yds. Davis also has a 9.2 yd average on punts. I'm very fine with that.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our WRs still don't get a ton of separation on a consistent basis. From high up in the endzone on Sunday, I watched our WRs continuously run mediocre routes as the Saints CBs stayed in their hip pockets. I'm not sure that Max is the answer, but we still need more speed. I feel like our team is turning into an entire collection of James Jones. While I loved JJ, he had a role. It's like starting five right tackles across your line instead of guys suited for each position.

Max showed a lot of heart and maybe, this move is to bring in another guy that Hundley developed a rapport with during camp. Allison showed some stuff when he was allowed to be in the game, but then got yanked. I'm not understanding some of our personnel moves lately.
I was going to say... mccaffery was Hundley guy in training camp I bet...
Reunite the B team...

Members online

Latest posts