Matthews Tribute project - WIP

4StarCustoms

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews Tribute project - Updated pics 1/4/11

The thread I started to showcase my Packer's figure collection got moved to the classifieds section: http://www.packerforum.com/f17/custom-packer-sports-figures-24315.html

However, the intent was not to solicit sales. All those figures are part of my collection and I had no intention of selling them. Yes, I do sell figures when one is commissioned but my reason for posting was to show off some Packer stuff!

I don't think everyone fully understood how I made the figures so I thought I'd show you guys as I start a new project.

McFarlane makes 6" sports figures. Here is there entire list of figures going back to their first series: SPAWN.COM >> TOYS >> FOOTBALL

The simplest change is a repaint like this one I did of Warren Moon:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

For Matthews, we're going completely custom. I want to make a 3-figure tribute of him Sacking, Flexing and Posing (Predator style).

The hardest will be the Predator pose.

There are no good base figures to start from so I'll mix and match and sculpt the rest.

So, I'll take the legs from an L.T. figure, the torso from McNabb and the arms from a Ray Lewis figure:

After a lot of cutting and dremel work, the basic form starts to take shape:

Same process for the the Flexing pose:

Just a few different parts:

So, that's how my process starts. Hope that explains better how I make my figures.

These are super rough at this point. I'll take close looks at the pictures and determine were there are anatomical issues. I can already tell the arms seem a little long on the Predator pose - or the legs too short.

Once joints line up correctly and the poses are corrected, I can start filling in the gaps and get to more detailed sculpted.

More to come!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In my defense your thread started off fine..But then talk of charging and etc was brought in..That is why it was moved

OP
OP
4StarCustoms

4StarCustoms

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my defense your thread started off fine..But then talk of charging and etc was brought in..That is why it was moved

No sweat - and I completely understand the reasoning. I didn't want to got that route but the question was brought up a few times. and I didn't want to ignore. No worries!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you got the predator pose, the sacking pose, and the "cutler effect" for after the fact?? :p

That is awesome!!! I can only imagine the hours of hard work and dedication you put into these and the results are stunning! Thank you for sharing them and sorry if I caused any trouble.

OP
OP
4StarCustoms

4StarCustoms

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you got the predator pose, the sacking pose, and the "cutler effect" for after the fact?? :p

Exactly!

I just finished a Gilbert Brown for a charity auction. I'm working on the custom base that Gilbert will be signing and I'm going with a "Grave Digger" theme.

I sculpted a tombstone that will have Gil's name and years he played for the Packers too (maybe sack total). I was thinking of having it look like a freshly dug grave (with dirt) and have a Bear's QB coming out of the dirt. Might be to macabre for charity though!

OP
OP
4StarCustoms

4StarCustoms

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got a little more sculpting work done this weekend to start filling out the shape more. Already see a couple of problem areas. It's a long process, the apoxy has about a 1 hour work time before it gets too hard. I like to work sections at a time and build up and then start to take away where needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts