Matthew's out about a month..Broken thumb

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the year started, I said the three players the Packers can't lose are Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews and Bryan Bulaga. Unfortunately, injuries keep hitting the Packers in key areas.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect each quarterback we face this next stretch of games without Matthews to throw for at least 350 yds. that's with a stright face to, because without the threat of Matthews and really no other true pass rusher we can't kid ourselves and say Neal, Perry, and who ever else can pick up the slack because it hasn't been shown yet and one game doesn't convince me otherwise. Our depth at LB periosd wories me because i expect Jones to miss a couple of games because of a darn hamstring injury. TT needs to at least consider bringing back Nick Barnett...at least for depth purposes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect each quarterback we face this next stretch of games without Matthews to throw for at least 350 yds. that's with a stright face to, because without the threat of Matthews and really no other true pass rusher we can't kid ourselves and say Neal, Perry, and who ever else can pick up the slack because it hasn't been shown yet and one game doesn't convince me otherwise. Our depth at LB periosd wories me because i expect Jones to miss a couple of games because of a darn hamstring injury. TT needs to at least consider bringing back Nick Barnett...at least for depth purposes.

Even after Matthews went out against Detroit Stafford was sacked multiple times. I don't expect our pass rush to fall apart with Matthews gone with our current personnel. Will it be as dynamic without Matthews absolutely not. However, I suspect that with Burnett returning and stabilizing the back end of Defense that even without Matthews it'll be better than it was the first three games.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT needs to at least consider bringing back Nick Barnett...at least for depth purposes.
I'm sure that he's considered it, and then hopefully threw his player profile into the trash. I loved Barnett as a Packer but his time is done. I'd rather see what Lattimore and Barrington can bring to the table before I rush out a get re-treads from the open market but we will certainly need somebody to provide depth behind those guys.

Reaction score
:tdown: can't figure out why you got a "friendly" for that one!!!

Maybe a "creative" would have been more appropriate, but still....:mad:

I need some "good" news for a change, but right now, I"m feeling like the "blues"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all".......

Reaction score
I don't know man. Outside of Rodgers this is the biggest, most impactful player to lose. With our defense not all that and a bag of chips to begin with I'd rather have a 75% Matthews than one that is out 4 weeks or longer. There is not guarantee that 4 weeks and a 'fully' healed hamstring will really provide anything lasting with Matthews. He's had nagging injury problems (including hamstring) for quite some time.

Without Matthews our offense MUST convert TD's and not settle for FG's are we may be in for a bumpy ride here for a bit.
But a 75% Matthews will eventually turn into a 50% Matthews for the playoffs, which would not be good for his health.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this injury that he has (Bennett Fracture) is fairly involved. Everything that I read says that they pin it and the recovery time is 4-8 weeks. So saying that it will be a month is quite optimistic. We are probably looking at him missing a fairly substantial amount of time here.

And for those out there who think he's being a baby... look up Bennett Fracture. Most of us would prob whine and cry about getting dressed in the morning with it, much less wrestling with 300+ lb linemen all afternoon.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks but lets wait and see how it comes out. If my memory is correct the Pack overcame quite a few injuries to get both of the last two Superbowl wins. Hopefully Neal and Perry will play well and the rest of the D will tighten up. I thought they looked very good against Detroit. Then, with a little luck we will get a fresh Claymaker back for the homestretch. GOTTA BELIEVE !! GO PACK !!!

Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but this injury that he has (Bennett Fracture) is fairly involved. Everything that I read says that they pin it and the recovery time is 4-8 weeks. So saying that it will be a month is quite optimistic. We are probably looking at him missing a fairly substantial amount of time here.

And for those out there who think he's being a baby... look up Bennett Fracture. Most of us would prob whine and cry about getting dressed in the morning with it, much less wrestling with 300+ lb linemen all afternoon.

I remember while playing high school football, we lost our star cornerback for nearly the entire season (returned for the final 2 games of a 10 game season) as a result of a broken thumb (required a pin) that occured during the summer practice. And I remember hearing our line coach say to the defensive backfield coach.... it couldn't have been a finger could it? Of all things, it had to be the thumb. So you are no doubt spot on with your assessment of this injury per your research of it and it doesn't sound too pleasant too deal with.

Clay just amplifies the meaning of strength, toughness, desire, motor and hustle on the field and that includes playing through pain to help his team win, but if this injury is such that it limits his ability to perform at the level (and according to what I am hearing from NFL talking heads, it would be a major factor affecting a defensive player's technique of pulling grabing pushing and takling opponents) that he is driven to play (playing in pain, or not)......well, as much as I would ever hate saying it, he becomes a liability to the team, as is anyone who is not at full-strength and unable to play to their competitive level. Let the healing process begin....and as we say a lot around here.....Next man up:mad:

Godspeed CM!

Reaction score
As to an update on Clay, here’s the jsonline update from McCarthy’s press conference today: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/227099311.html There are reports that Clay had surgery but neither jsonline nor Wilde are reporting that. Here’s the rest of today’s injury report:

· LB Clay Matthews (thumb) - OUT
· CB Casey Hayward (hamstring) - OUT
· LB Brad Jones (hamstring) - OUT
· OL Greg Van Roten (foot) - OUT
· RB James Starks (knee) - OUT
· LB Andy Mulumba (ankle) - DNP
· CB Jarrett Bush (hamstring) - DNP

Can’t wait for the bye week so they can heal … Oh ya ... CRAP!

Aside from losing the best player on defense, the best pass rusher, the best penetrator vs. the run and all-round best playmaker on D, and the second best player on the team, here’s another reason why this sucks:

Against the Lions Capers used a new dime alignment. I believe the first time it was used as on a 3rd and 16 in the first quarter. He had Datone Jones as the only down lineman with Perry on the right side and Neal on the left and Matthews playing “MLB” only deeper than an inside LB in base or nickel. Behind and a little to the right of Matthews was McMillian and to his left and deeper was Brad Jones. 5 DBs completed the alignment. I’d like it even better with Heyward on the field in place of McMillian and of course now both Clay and Brad Jones are out. But if they ever have a full compliment of players that alignment allows Perry to rush from the right side (I read somewhere he appears to be more natural from that side and it’s where he rushed in college - we are about to find out if that's true). It also allows Clay to spy on the QB if need be (not against the Lions) and he would be able to rush anywhere along the line, causing the opponent's pass protection some problems.

Thanks for the update. In addition to CM's thumb injury, those FOUR hamstrings (CM's included)....just nuts:mad:
Yes, we will find out soon enough with Perry and I will be anxious to see how this alignment works out with a full unit back, as you mentioned. Just got to get people to step up and play tough and see what happens until we get healthy again.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As to an update on Clay, here’s the jsonline update from McCarthy’s press conference today: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/227099311.html There are reports that Clay had surgery but neither jsonline nor Wilde are reporting that. Here’s the rest of today’s injury report:

· LB Clay Matthews (thumb) - OUT
· CB Casey Hayward (hamstring) - OUT
· LB Brad Jones (hamstring) - OUT
· OL Greg Van Roten (foot) - OUT
· RB James Starks (knee) - OUT
· LB Andy Mulumba (ankle) - DNP
· CB Jarrett Bush (hamstring) - DNP

Can’t wait for the bye week so they can heal … Oh ya ... CRAP!

Aside from losing the best player on defense, the best pass rusher, the best penetrator vs. the run and all-round best playmaker on D, and the second best player on the team, here’s another reason why this sucks:

Against the Lions Capers used a new dime alignment. I believe the first time it was used as on a 3rd and 16 in the first quarter. He had Datone Jones as the only down lineman with Perry on the right side and Neal on the left and Matthews playing “MLB” only deeper than an inside LB in base or nickel. Behind and a little to the right of Matthews was McMillian and to his left and deeper was Brad Jones. 5 DBs completed the alignment. I’d like it even better with Heyward on the field in place of McMillian and of course now both Clay and Brad Jones are out. But if they ever have a full compliment of players that alignment allows Perry to rush from the right side (I read somewhere he appears to be more natural from that side and it’s where he rushed in college - we are about to find out if that's true). It also allows Clay to spy on the QB if need be (not against the Lions) and he would be able to rush anywhere along the line, causing the opponent's pass protection some problems.

The Journal Sentinel staff reported that he looked much more natural and comfortable on the right side. Some of us noticed that he finally started aggressively rushing the edge, dipping his pads and getting low and fast. Like a pitcher with a good fastball changeup combination his bull rush should play up his edge rush and vice versa.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think we should bring in another LB'r or two. We're going to need to score a lot of points and keep the other offense on the sidelines. It's always next man up but i don't see enough play makers on our defense to keep teams from scoring alot of point's. Heres to the next month.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I still think we should bring in another LB'r or two. We're going to need to score a lot of points and keep the other offense on the sidelines. It's always next man up but i don't see enough play makers on our defense to keep teams from scoring alot of point's. Heres to the next month.

Who? who is gunna be cheap and available right now? Not to mention worth a crap at LB?

Members online

Latest posts