Matthew's out about a month..Broken thumb

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN NFL- Packer Pro Bowl LB Clay Matthew expected to miss 1 month with broken thumb - Adam Schefter.

Cant he just wear a club?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easier said than done and depends on the type of break, where it is on the thumb, etc. Sad news though

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just about to post this, and here I thought this was a season where he could really take off.

Devastating news but I think we're better prepared for this scenario than we have been for years. Perry looked pretty good rushing from the right side and Mike Neal was very effective rushing from the left. If Perry and Neal are our starting OLBs for now we'd better hope Datone becomes a man for us fast.

Reaction score
This could be a blessing in disguise: He can now rest until his hamstring is fully healed and be 100% for when we really need him. (Playoff run!!)

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think we can beat our next 4 opponents without him on the field without too much trouble. It also gives some younger guys good experience for playoff time and gets Clay 100%. As someone else said, I doubt he is out for a month. I can't see him missing more than 2-3 games.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tbh E think the 4 line backers that should be starting Neal, matthews, jones and Perry. Im loving what Neal and Perry is doing more so Perry. Another thing, teams are picking on poor house.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we win our games when he is out, IT"S GREAT.

But even with a 30-14 lead at Cinci, who has a bad QB, did anyone else besides me notice the difference in our overall defense once Clay's hammy stretched and he LEFT?

Our defense was a shell of it's former self without #52.

I like Perry, and Neal, and Datone Jones who has done little, but taking away our by far best D player hurts tremendously. You can't deny that.

I wish it was Terrell Suggs out this week, not Clay. Dammit.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we win our games when he is out, IT"S GREAT.

But even with a 30-14 lead at Cinci, who has a bad QB, did anyone else besides me notice the difference in our overall defense once Clay's hammy stretched and he LEFT?

Our defense was a shell of it's former self without #52.

I like Perry, and Neal, and Datone Jones who has done little, but taking away our by far best D player hurts tremendously. You can't deny that.

I wish it was Terrell Suggs out this week, not Clay. Dammit.

True but that was a different defense with Nick Perry looking lost at LOLB and Mike Neal struggling to do much of anything on the right side. Yesterday Mike Neal made his presence felt all game long on the left side and then when Perry replaced Matthews he only went out produced 2 sacks and a forced fumble. The Packer defense produced 5 sacks against a pretty solid Offensive front and Packers not named Clay Matthews produced 4 of them.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, if we weather the storm, don't lose Perry or Neal (remember BOTH of them have been injury-prone in their young careers, so I expect to lose one of them), at least Clay will be fresh, and that hamstring should be fully healed by then.

12theTruth

This could be a blessing in disguise: He can now rest until his hamstring is fully healed and be 100% for when we really need him. (Playoff run!!)

I don't know man. Outside of Rodgers this is the biggest, most impactful player to lose. With our defense not all that and a bag of chips to begin with I'd rather have a 75% Matthews than one that is out 4 weeks or longer. There is not guarantee that 4 weeks and a 'fully' healed hamstring will really provide anything lasting with Matthews. He's had nagging injury problems (including hamstring) for quite some time.

Without Matthews our offense MUST convert TD's and not settle for FG's are we may be in for a bumpy ride here for a bit.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, thats a hard blow :(
I'm afraid playing without him makes our tough schedule even tougher.
Hope we manage a 3-1 out of 4 games until Clay returns. If not we are in trouble because Cowboys, Eagles, Falcons and Giants still have to be played and I dont expect us to win them all, even if Clay is playing.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, if we weather the storm, don't lose Perry or Neal (remember BOTH of them have been injury-prone in their young careers, so I expect to lose one of them), at least Clay will be fresh, and that hamstring should be fully healed by then.

Mike Neal was injury prone playing in the 290-300 range. It appears that playing around 270 he hasn't had any issues, maybe he just didn't have the joints to handle all of that muscle mass?

Members online

Latest posts