Matthews fined $15,000 for hit on KP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

A slap on the wrist. I know it was just football, not intentionally a dirty play. It looked worse than it was. It was the politically correct thing for the commissioner to do though. He could not have not acted following the media attention. Also, SF is one of the larger market areas in the league and could not be ignored.

OP
OP
13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just making a dumb **** play should cost you $15,000. That being said he's not a dirty player he just let the memories of last year and his competitive nature take over.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
The PFT comment section is always good for a laugh. People over there saying Clay should be fined $50k and suspended. They act like it was the most egregiously dirty play they've ever seen. It was a dumb play in the heat of the moment. I swear people have lost the ability to think for themselves. Guys on ESPN and the NFL Network say something and people take it as gospel.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, well worth $15K to Clay, and 4 points to the defenses mojo & reputation.
They were labeled as soft..... they didn't play soft vs the run.

But the coverage on the back end was soft as a marshmallow.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Clay has only been fined 3 times since he entered the league. The fine is appropriate, and one dirty hit does not a dirty player make. I'll support Clay til he goes full Pollard. Suspended? That's dumb overreaction to seeing a hype machine get popped. Perhaps we should fine the rocks that make his drive home bumpy too. Just because Clay's foot (singular) hadn't left the ground yet, doesn't mean he wasn't full vertical and mid jump.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think him a dirty player,but man these days football with all these rules don't get me wrong. I feel a player should get fined or what ever for hitting a player but the hit wasn't devastating like some we have seen fine is cheaper than Shu's I believe how do stop though when you are in high gear?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled a bit, and Clay has been slapped on the wrist with a small fine for him, and now that the NFL has admitted that the zebra first erred in giving the Niners a do-over, and then they say they erred in giving Staley a penalty (wow, did they admit they erred in letting Vernon Davis tackle Matthews foot on a block, or did they admit they erred in giving Seattle the game over us)..... what is your honest post-game opinion of the play seen now in my signature, all things considered.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since it didn't cause any injury to the Great Kaepernick, I really love the play, but wonder if I am the only one.

Maybe too many violent movies for me?
Also, you know I am queezy about the knees.... hate those plays like we saw happen to Keller, to Sullivan this week from Suh, etc..... but something like this doesn't bother me that much as it was on soft grass.... unless it was on Rodgers of course. But Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher have hit him worse and late before.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough, well worth $15K to Clay, and 4 points to the defenses mojo & reputation.
They were labeled as soft..... they didn't play soft vs the run.

I'd like to think that hit taught/showed CK, JH and the rest of the 40Whiners that the Pack is gonna take him out if he tries to run the ball.
Notice that he slid the next time and didn't try to run as much as he did against us in the post season?

Love watching your gif signature over and over again.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
It was a dumb play on what would have been a 3rd down stop. Clay lost his head for moment. It happens. The only thing "dirty" about it was that he drove Kaep to the ground when he was clearly out of bounds. He wanted to send a message. Just picked a bad time to do it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From watching Rizzo's gif, and I would love to get others opinions on this, I still have a hard time seeing if it was intentional or not.
Does anyone think that Clay could have stopped himself?
Did he see that CrapperKnickers was out of bounds?
Or were they both simultaneous actions but Clay didn't see or think the QB was going out of bounds?

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
From watching Rizzo's gif, and I would love to get others opinions on this, I still have a hard time seeing if it was intentional or not.
Does anyone think that Clay could have stopped himself?
Did he see that CrapperKnickers was out of bounds?
Or were they both simultaneous actions but Clay didn't see or think the QB was going out of bounds?
He couldn't have stopped his momentum, but he didn't have to wrap him up and drag him down. As for if he knew Kaepernick was out of bounds, NFL players tend to have an instinct for that. Again, he was wrapped up in the heat of the moment. He let his emotions get the best of him. It happens.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

atthegates97

Cheesehead
Reaction score
me and my friends loved it. i don't see all of us pissing and moaning about that nice shot in the back ahmad brooks gave aaron rodgers.

and alex boone is a *****.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Does your opinion of the play change after reading this? Probably seems like I came here to post this to gloat, but I think it's very relevant to the topic. People are going to be talking about this one for a while.
I don't get it. So Alex Boone was pissed about the play. So what? It was a late hit, not an attempt to injure Kaepernick. If Clay would have wanted to injure him, he would have went low or went for the head.

If people are talking about this after this weekend it's only because the media has blown it way out of proportion. If it weren't for people misinterpreting Clay's comments on Mike & Mike last week, nobody would be talking about this. It was one dumb play at a bad time that turned a potential defensive stop into an eventual SF touchdown. Nothing more, nothing less.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
me and my friends loved it. i don't see all of us pissing and moaning about that nice shot in the back ahmad brooks gave aaron rodgers.

and alex boone is a *****.
I don't believe that to be true.....

But I dunno about that hit on Rodgers... It was borderline late, but was only one step/one second after he released the ball and those hits are generally allowed. Plus he didn't go to the head.

Last edited:

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it. So Alex Boone was pissed about the play. So what? It was a late hit, not an attempt to injure Kaepernick. If Clay would have wanted to injure him, he would have went low or went for the head.

If people are talking about this after this weekend it's only because the media has blown it way out of proportion. If it weren't for people misinterpreting Clay's comments on Mike & Mike last week, nobody would be talking about this. It was one dumb play at a bad time that turned a potential defensive stop into an eventual SF touchdown. Nothing more, nothing less.
Don't get me wrong... I think I tend to agree with most of this. Curiosity gets the best of me, however: if you don't believe that he meant to injure Kaepernick, what do you believe was his intent with the hit/tackle? To end the play? I'm probably playing devil's advocate at this point but meh, I'm bored and it's good discussion.

While I'm on the topic of devil's advocate; I'm curious how you feel about the subjects of hits on the QB, as it relates to QBs still in the pocket, who might fake the run on an option play? I definitely think the terms of how those plays are officiated deserves a second glance; especially after Harbaugh (gag, I know) called attention to it and unfortunately for everyone involved it came to fruition. It's likely just hot air he's blowing if there's no late hit by Matthews, but in lite of the series of events I definitely think it needs to be revisited.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't give a shyt. And I don't know why so many people do.

He hit a guy late out of bounds and suddenly he's Ndamukong Suh and people want to punch him. What a joke.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't get how one play now makes you dirty.

Harbaugh and his band of whiners need to get a grip.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Does your opinion of the play change after reading this? Probably seems like I came here to post this to gloat, but I think it's very relevant to the topic. People are going to be talking about this one for a while.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ould-like-to-punch-clay-matthews-in-the-face/
Its easy to say it a few days later after the incident. As one of the comments said, I USED to respect the 49ers but they are just thugs. It was an unfortunate hit out of bounds, he didn`t kill him.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuss is about its a contact sport, Clay brought him down and nobody died as far as i can tell.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a late hit on a crucial play and that was dumb of Matthews. I also think that Matthews wanted to hit Kaepernick hard, not to injure, but to send a message to the Niners and other teams that the "soft" label no longer applies to this defense.

bobgold: Boone can say whatever he likes, if he wants to add fuel to the fire, let him. As for the fake read option, the rule as far as I can tell is clear. If the QB is in a running posture and uses the read option, either handing off to the RB or keeping it, he loses his protection. Matthews' hit had absolutely nothing to do with that. It was a QB run and Clay hit him out of bounds. He didn't go for his head, his knees, but he did hit him late, end of story.

As an aside to Boone and Staley, many of us around here are not at all happy with Josh Sitton getting called for holding 3 times and the Niners OL getting called for none, when there were plenty of holding calls to go around.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ould-like-to-punch-clay-matthews-in-the-face/

Now we have a Niner saying he wants to intentionally PUNCH a Packer....Didn't your coach have issues with Clay saying basically same thing? How come he isnt speaking up now?

I think that verbally saying he will punch Clay is a form of assault. Clay never said that, his was in aspect of the game hitting...

But shouldnt the Niners worry about the Seahawks? The Packers are REALLY stuck in their head..

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Why is this STILL a topic?

1. It was a late hit. He was penalized accordingly.
2. No one got hurt, nor was it any where close to an egregious takedown.
3. Your Olineman immediately got in Matthews face and protected his QB as he should.
4. Matthews immediately after the game admitted it was stupid and he apologized.
5. The NFL fined him.

It's been six days. Get over it!

The whole ****ing west coast... What a bunch of whiners. 49ers vs. Seahawks. Just a bunch of ******* on both sides (and in the stands!) crying. Boo hoo.

Go back to your own team forums. Cry there. Have a group hug. Take your sedatives. Have a drink with a lemon twist. Do whatever Californians do when they are feeling sad. But, most importantly, go away.

Geez, you'd think they lost the game...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts