Matt Flynn

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was on the ESPN website:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10812560/mailbag-market-only-getting-worse-running-backs
Q: Particularly when there is a relatively low-profile or low-cost signing in free agency (likeSidney Rice's one-year deal with the Seahawks this week), the contract details are very slow to come out. It seems reporters would be pining to get this information out to the public, but it seems to take days and days. Is this slow feed of contract specifics due more to journalistic lethargy, or is there some type of NFL-mandated precaution not to release this information too soon?

Miles in Seattle

A: The accurate number comes out the day after it's submitted to the NFL. Teams have to report their signings to the league offices by 4 p.m. ET each day, and a copy of the contract is sent to the players' association the next morning. Individual agents might leak out the number upon agreement, and that's why sometimes you get an immediate number. Rice's contract went out Friday afternoon. Because it was Good Friday, the contract details won't get out officially until Monday. From the beginning, we said it was probably a one-year deal at a little over $900,000.
Flynn supposedly signed his deal a week ago on the 16th, so the information should be available.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was low ball..... c'mon man, it's for only one year and it came from TT for a back up QB.
Since he signed it, that's a good thing, right? Or did you want him to overpay? :D
I don't think it will be vet minimum but not much over that. I hope it has PT incentives - he should get paid more if he has to replace Rodgers.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Since he signed it, that's a good thing, right? Or did you want him to overpay? :D
I don't think it will be vet minimum but not much over that. I hope it has PT incentives - he should get paid more if he has to replace Rodgers.
Where did I say he should be overpaid? I didn't. I did say it was low ball, you can bet on that. I do think we are lucky to still have him and yes, I agree that if Flynn has to step in there should be some sort of bonus pay. Why do you read in to everything I have to say? I don't hate TT, just don't like the fact that he over pays certain guys and cheaps out in places we really need guys.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
true, but "a one year deal" according to them is not some type of insider info secret james bond spy info. I would tend to believe that. Just wondering why no info on the $$ has been released.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
"true, but "a one year deal" according to them is not some type of insider info secret james bond spy info. I would tend to believe that. Just wondering why no info on the $$ has been released." posted by Oshkoshpackfan

If my memory recall is correct, the Packers do not released Player contract information to the public. I think the NFLPA (NFL Players union) releases player's contract information to the public.

H

HardRightEdge

Why not make a a little contest out of it?

If it is a one year deal, I'd say $1.5 mil, with a modest signing bonus of $250,000 or less. If Thompson was able to squeeze him I'd say a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus in roughly the same amount with the same $1.5 mil total value.

If it is a two year deal, I'd see no reason not to double the total value to $3.0 mil, but definitely with a singing bonus on the order of $500,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Why not make a a little contest out of it?

If it is a one year deal, I'd say $1.5 mil, with a modest signing bonus of $250,000 or less. If Thompson was able to squeeze him I'd say a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus is roughly the same amount with the same $1.5 mil total value.

If it is a two year deal, I'd see no reason not to double the total value to $3.0 mil, but definitely with a singing bonus on the order of $500,000.

The Packers have officially annonuced the signing of Flynn, which probably means we´ll get the details of the deal tomorrow.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently they agreed to the deal last week when it was reported, but he didn't actually sign the contract until yesterday morning. The Packers would have then filed the paperwork by 4pmET on Tuesday and we should hear about the financials today.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Oshkosh--You should never question TT. Please follow protocol on the site.
I forgot, the only opinions allowed around here are those that involve kissing the old mans ***. All other opinions will be questioned and get that poster slammed and belittled. God forbid I have my own f*cking opinion.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I forgot, the only opinions allowed around here are those that involve kissing the old mans ***. All other opinions will be questioned and get that poster slammed and belittled. God forbid I have my own f*cking opinion.
:rolleyes: Glad you understand. Now quit whining.

When you're in the minority, you have to actually form compelling arguments instead of using profanity.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Typical straw man raised by someone who incessantly whines not only about what Thompson does but about what he may do. Of course Thompson can be questioned and criticized but (thank goodness) only a small group here joins in your constant negativity about Thompson.

D

Deleted member 6794

Flynn's deal is for one year, $968,125 with a $75K signing bonus. He can earn another $100K in active roster bonuses.

Absolutely like the deal.

H

HardRightEdge

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right about where we expected it to be. It's a bargain for a proven backup QB. You know what's interesting is that Flynn's base is $730,000. Compare that to this blast from the past article from 2004:

In [Doug] Pederson, who is believed to have signed a one-year contract that includes a minimum base salary of $760,000, the Packers retain a veteran who knows their system and, almost as important, understands his role as Brett Favre's caddy.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1791784

That ought to quell anybody who whines about TT overpaying.

Members online

Latest posts