Matt Flynn

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you.

But, just to hash it out, what if the Packers tagged him?

O.K., they'd be gambling that Flynn isn't going to just take the franchise tag $, but, is dead-set on starting somewhere next season. If that proved true, then Flynn would willingly negotiate a four-year contract for say $30,000,000-to-$35,000,000 ($14,000,000 in year one signing bonus+salary) with a team prior to GB trading him.

Flynn's not losing any cash and he gets to start, and his new team gets an affordable starter that they can renegotiate in three years if it works out. If it doesn't work out, they can move on without worrying about cap hell.

I'd think the Packers could get one of Holmgren's first-round picks (he has two because of the Julio Jones trade last year). That Atlanta pick will be around 24-25.

Holmgren isn't getting anywhere with Colt McCoy, he's got to do something before his tenure as president in Cleveland is ruined.

The problem for the Packers is the huge tag amount and gauging if teams will be lining up to pay Flynn in that range in year one so that a deal is a certainty.

The Packers have a long history of letting backup QBs go to become starters on other teams. They should let Flynn have his shot at starting on another team. Since he's already a free agent, there isn't much else they can do. (Unless Flynn shows an incredible amount of loyalty like the practice squad guy did.)

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a long history of letting backup QBs go to become starters on other teams. They should let Flynn have his shot at starting on another team. Since he's already a free agent, there isn't much else they can do. (Unless Flynn shows an incredible amount of loyalty like the practice squad guy did.)

Some of me hopes for this, but he is a good player and deserves to make more money than sitting on our bench...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Some of me hopes for this, but he is a good player and deserves to make more money than sitting on our bench...

Indeed he does. He's paid his dues for 4 years on the Packer bench. He should get a shot at being a star.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn is worth too much to let him go for nothing.

Flynn to Denver for Brian Orakpo.
Or Flynn and our #32 pick for Miami's 1st rounder.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn is worth too much to let him go for nothing.

Flynn to Denver for Brian Orakpo.
Or Flynn and our #32 pick for Miami's 1st rounder.

Exactly, I think he would understand if we traded him to improve our team. It's a win win for both teams.. I'm sure once he's gone he hopes well for the Packers too.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious and hopefully you guys can enlighten me; in a tag & trade situation (a la Matt Cassell), once the tagged player is traded, can the team then designate another player as their franchise guy? This is in regards to tagging and trading Flynn, then reapplying the tag to Finley. Though in the meantime, Finley would most likely have already signed someplace else.

Reaction score
I believe he was showcased today to let other teams see what he has to offer. Some team is going to offer him big $$$$ that the Pack can not match. Good for Flynn. He is a class act and a soon to be great QB!
Trapped

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious and hopefully you guys can enlighten me; in a tag & trade situation (a la Matt Cassell), once the tagged player is traded, can the team then designate another player as their franchise guy? This is in regards to tagging and trading Flynn, then reapplying the tag to Finley. Though in the meantime, Finley would most likely have already signed someplace else.

I dont believe you can "reuse" the franchise tag. Wish I wasnt that way.

Lets be honest folks, this is a great problem to have.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
No. Teams only have one franchise tag to use during the year. Tag hime and pay him what is probably $14-15 million for QB's. If no one is willing to trade for him, the Packers are stuck.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
No. Teams only have one franchise tag to use during the year. Tag hime and pay him what is probably $14-15 million for QB's. If no one is willing to trade for him, the Packers are stuck.

I'm afraid the Vikings might go for him. That would make me break down and cry like a baby.....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont believe you can "reuse" the franchise tag. Wish I wasnt that way.

Lets be honest folks, this is a great problem to have.

Yes and no....They have to settle this by the draft...I think they have to know by then in order to get a q/b in the draft to replace Flynn

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I was a tad disappointed in Flynn today. He could have at least trimmed up that beard a little knowing he was going to start.

The Packer quarterbacks have that lumberjack thing going; cold weather, beards and plaid shirts.

No, they won't. I'm still hearing how the Niners are the most amazing story of the year and the Saints are the best organization in the league.

I agree with your point. Still, today's performance will help the media better understand how the Packers' highly successful organization works.

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are threads on the Jets, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, and Dolphins boards about Flynn. This was a real coming out party for the bearded one.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Everyone is forgetting that he is a free agent this offseason. If he doesnt get tagged then he will sign with someone else and we will get squat.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone is forgetting that he is a free agent this offseason. If he doesnt get tagged then he will sign with someone else and we will get squat.

Not at all, people are trying to figure out what can happen if he is tagged then traded

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think the Packers franchise Flynn and flip him for something close to a Matt Schaub/Matt Casell deal. Flynn should get the Packers a second round pick at the least. Teams like Washington, Cleveland and Kansas City could all use him.

12theTruth

If the Raiders go ahead and enlist the services of Reggie McKenzie and Eliot Wolf I can see them making a big push for Matt Flynn.

Members online

Latest posts