1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by packerstl101, May 2, 2011.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Okay, I'm going to be the first to say it. We should keep Flynn and trade Rodgers for 3 or 4 first round picks and a couple of 3rd rounders. Just kidding!

His stock just shot through the roof today and several teams are going to want him. We can't let him go via free agency and get a lowly supplemental pick for him. He should be tagged and traded. We could probably get a first round pick for him from a team like the Redskins or Jaguars. But the last thing we need is him going to the Bears. They would ruin his career and I really like the guy.

I say transition tag and trade, even if that means not franchising Finley. I think a deal will get worked out with Fin anyway.

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,083
    One time he had the greatest offensive game in Packer history.

3. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754

I know Harbaugh would like to have him some Luck. ;)

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,083
    Franchise Flynn, Transition tag Finley.

5. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Can we do that?

6. Marem19

Marem19 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    Sign and trade. As much as i like flynn and think he is a good piece for this team he will be more valuable trade bait to help bring in some picks to help with the D

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,083
    Teams in need of a QB and willing to deal

1. Jaguars
    2. Redskins
    3. Dolphins
    4. Browns
    5. Seahawks
    6. Broncos?

thoughts?

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,083
    as far as I know yes. Finley we would be able to match any offer he gets. Seems fair. Just might get tricky if a division rival offers big $ thats over what they should in order to make us over pay for someone that knows our offense.

Flynn would be traded before or during the draft. He would command a very high pick. The good thing is only 1 QB seems to be an NFL ready QB at this point.

9. Texas9erFan

Texas9erFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah but that's not gonna happen. I could see a trade for Flynn being a lot more likely.

10. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    No, you can do one or the other but not both in the same season -- not anymore.

11. _Xyn

_Xyn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I personally also don't want to see Flynn go but....

The amount of money he is going to get in TT's Scheme, won't work. I hope we can trade bait him, and put him on respectable team that he can flourish... Cause I think I might have a #2 favorite team depending where he goes.

12. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I think there is some serious value in preventing him from going to a division rival. In Minny he would compete with Ponder to start, but I think he'd replace Cutler fairly quickly in Chicago. I'd like to see him on the Redskins, personally.

13. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    They could trade him for 3 draft picks?

The Eagles got a lot of stuff from trading Kolb...It's possible.

14. Fazeman

Fazeman Setting The Pace

Ratings:
    +20
    So awesome was his game that TT and staff will continue to garner the highest respect in the NFL.

15. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I personally think Flynn should be a Packer HOF candidate in the future if for no other reason than for having arguably the most incredible day a Packer QB has ever had, bar NONE. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen but this game needs to be immortalized in some fashion at the PHOF. It should not be forgotten. Flynn won't be there, but his name certainly will.

(Keep in mind much of this post is hyperbole)

16. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,029
    But do you even know who he beat for the record? I'm sure Don Horn isn't in the P-HOF.

17. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +845
    This thread can't get any nuttier!!! I knew it was going to be fun reading today,..i've not visited it apparently in awhile!

18. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    The Bears are not touching Matt Flynn. Cutler is their guy. I could see them trying to get Finley if they get rid of Martz. Martz hates pass catching tight ends. If some team wants to overpay for Finley then let them.

19. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Thanks I thought that was the case.

20. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Thompson will be able to pull off a sign and trade. Flynn has much more leverage if he waits it out. After his performance today, his value shot through the roof. The franchise tag for a QB costs 14.4 million I don't see that happening. If we do end up getting a 3rd rounder for him its still better than the late round pick Thompson used :)

21. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    I just hope he doesn't go somewhere to die like Jacksonville. Personally, he has Redskin written all over him.

22. Hype

Hype Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    If Flynn goes during the off season...i'd like to see the Pack draft Kellen Moore

23. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The Packers have to get something for him.
    I think Kolb had just gotten a new big contract last year when expected to be the starter, and they still were able to trade him.

By Flynn doing SO GREAT, Teddy should be able to get a few teams to bid for him, and use that to our advantage. If there are 2 teams (or more) who want him, they know now that they can't just wait for him to become free because we are working on trading him to someone else.

We should sign him to a new deal, and then trade him. That team can then take on that contract, or re-do it.

There are a lot of teams who need a QB, and there's only 1 Luck and 1 RG3.
    Flynn is seasoned, and ready to play now. A team wants to win now, he's as safe as Luck is IMO. Maybe safer.

By the way, I love love love love Tim Tebow (and he might pull one out yet today), but he's really horrible. I promise I am a better thrower of the football than Tim is, and I think I can read defenses better.
    I just couldn't bounce back from a single hit that he absorbs. I'd be in pieces the first hit I took from one of those 300-pound goons.

24. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I like your optimism and I hope you're right. Kolb had a bigger profile as a starter though too.

25. Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I tend to agree with you.

But, just to hash it out, what if the Packers tagged him?

O.K., they'd be gambling that Flynn isn't going to just take the franchise tag $, but, is dead-set on starting somewhere next season. If that proved true, then Flynn would willingly negotiate a four-year contract for say $30,000,000-to-$35,000,000 ($14,000,000 in year one signing bonus+salary) with a team prior to GB trading him.

Flynn's not losing any cash and he gets to start, and his new team gets an affordable starter that they can renegotiate in three years if it works out. If it doesn't work out, they can move on without worrying about cap hell.

I'd think the Packers could get one of Holmgren's first-round picks (he has two because of the Julio Jones trade last year). That Atlanta pick will be around 24-25.

Holmgren isn't getting anywhere with Colt McCoy, he's got to do something before his tenure as president in Cleveland is ruined.

The problem for the Packers is the huge tag amount and gauging if teams will be lining up to pay Flynn in that range in year one so that a deal is a certainty.