Matt Flynn

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Flynn got alot of playing time today. How do you feel about how he played today? Keep him? Trade him at the end of the season?

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
well matt flynn was thrown into a ****** situation. even rodgers was having serious trouble. this is not the game to base his future off of

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would trade for him? Lol, he's nothing special. He'll probably stay as the backup or they'll draft someone and Flynn will be a preseason causality in the future.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would trade for him? Lol, he's nothing special. He'll probably stay as the backup or they'll draft someone and Flynn will be a preseason causality in the future.

Look at the past few years and the teams that trade for anothers back up.

Rodger's Title Belt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like all the Flynn supporters to step forward. I remember folks discussing how he had a lot of trade potential. I know he was thrown into the middle of the game, but he looked like it was the first time he stepped foot on a field. Our O-Line didn't help him much either.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the past few years and the teams that trade for anothers back up.

Doesn't have great size
Hasn't performed well in games he's played
Decent mobility
Average or worse arm
26 next June
Was a seventh round pick to begin with in 2008

... Yeah, not seeing a draft pick.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't have great size
Hasn't performed well in games he's played
Decent mobility
Average or worse arm
26 next June
Was a seventh round pick to begin with in 2008

... Yeah, not seeing a draft pick.

Can you explain how where he was drafted has much to do with anything at this point? Thanks

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you explain how where he was drafted has much to do with anything at this point? Thanks

Um, he barely got drafted to begin with.

Based on what he's done in 3 seasons, why would anyone spend a draft pick on him? He's less valuable now than he was before, and he obviously had very limited interest when he first joined the league.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, he barely got drafted to begin with.

Based on what he's done in 3 seasons, why would anyone spend a draft pick on him? He's less valuable now than he was before, and he obviously had very limited interest when he first joined the league.

Neither did tom brady. At this point I cant understand how either are meaningful.

So again can you please explain how it matters?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Honestly? For a back up, I'm neither terribly pleased, nor upset. What did anyone expect when he's being hurried the whole time and has no supporting run game?

At this point, if the Bears win, keep Flynn in for the rest of the season so we don't risk major problems with Rodgers. Or maybe play Rodgers for a quarter/half, then put Flynn in. Either way, let Flynn develop. Who knows, perhaps we could get a good draft pick out of him to build the abysmal OL.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither did tom brady. At this point I cant understand how either are meaningful.

So again can you please explain how it matters?

New England never traded Tom Brady...

I mean, I guess it's possible that Caleb Hanie could be traded to the Arizona Cardinals and they make him their franchise QB, but the logic makes no sense. Where do you see this interest over Matt Flynn? An overrated and homerish opinion of him, perhaps? Teams rarely trade draft picks for 26 year old project QBs unless they see something special in them.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I thought it was nuts that people were suggesting we could get a 1st rounder for him before today and he did nothing to change my mind on that.

I'd trade him for a 3rd. Anything lower and you might as well keep him.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score

I mean, I guess it's possible that Caleb Hanie could be traded to the Arizona Cardinals and they make him their franchise QB, but the logic makes no sense. Where do you see this interest over Matt Flynn? An overrated and homerish opinion of him, perhaps? Teams rarely trade draft picks for 26 year old project QBs unless they see something special in them.

I'm sure he was referring to the "he barley got drafted" comment considering Brady was drafter in what the 6th or 7th round

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him, we need a solid, reliable backup to Aaron and I think Flynn is our man. For getting thrown into that game cold, of course he was going to come out shaky. But he did warm up and settle into a groove and was actually moving the ball better than Aaron was (sorry Aaron!). He didn't play great but he played good enough to keep us in that game. He's got potential and will make a good backup and maybe a great starter for somebody.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he was referring to the "he barley got drafted" comment considering Brady was drafter in what the 6th or 7th round

yeah I was. for some reason he thinks the reason a team wouldnt want him involves where he was drafted, which at this point I cant imagine has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

homer? far from it. You would know that if you came around when they won instead of just to complain when they lose.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd like all the Flynn supporters to step forward. I remember folks discussing how he had a lot of trade potential. I know he was thrown into the middle of the game, but he looked like it was the first time he stepped foot on a field. Our O-Line didn't help him much either.

He completed about 2/3 of his passes. He played about as well as any backup who has been thrust into the middle of a game for the first real playing time of his career. The INT was bad, but other than that, given the lack of any protection, no complaints.

The thing I don't understand is some people's need to find someone to crucify every single time a game is lost.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was nuts that people were suggesting we could get a 1st rounder for him before today and he did nothing to change my mind on that.

I'd trade him for a 3rd. Anything lower and you might as well keep him.

I thought the idea was trading him for a 6th or 7th rounder, which I don't see anyone doing (or the point). He'll just stay as our backup or walk after next season.

If I'm debating with folks who think he's worth a first rounder, well... there's no point. That's just being drunk on the Packers Kool-Aid. That's unrealistic thinking even for Madden 2011.

Still waiting on anything that would suggest any GM would spend a draft pick on a 26 year old project QB (who could be 27 before he starts depending on the lockout). I know you don't trade 1st-3rd round picks for backup QBs, now...

The Tom Brady reference made no sense. Brett Favre was a more credible example. Even then, he was 22 when he started for GB in '92.

So yet again... why would any team trade for Matt Flynn? What has made him so much more valuable than when he was drafted as a seventh rounder? He's been an average backup who wasn't highly regarded when he was originally drafted (Proof = 7th round selection). Since he's done little but play preseason football and perform average in regular season games that he does play in, why would you realistically think he's getting traded for draft picks?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
He played half a game, guys. Not only that, but he played it against a good pass rush through a crappy O line. I don't understand how anyone is passing judgments on him right now.