Mason Crosby

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
...........Sorry, we will need to agree to disagree. No pass on the missed field goal. Cold and windy, it's Green Bay Wisc.
I'm glad it didn't come down to making a difference.
Glad those 4 trips to the redzone without a touchdown didn't make a difference. This if football in cold weather. you should go back to playing madden.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Crosby has been solid with field goals the past few years, so even with the miss last night I can't really complain.

My question concerns his kickoff abilities. Crosby currently ranks 12th among kickoff kickers in touchbacks, with 34. With someone who has as big a leg as Crosby does(or supposedly does) why does he struggle to kick touchbacks? I mean, the guy almost made a 69 yard field goal in 2008. You might think that 12th isn't too bad, but the number of touchbacks Crosby has is somewhat inflated due to the fact that he has more kickoffs this year than any other kicker. Thank you Aaron Rodgers. For example, Chandler Catanzo is ahead of him for 11th on the list, with 35 touchbacks in 59 kickoffs compared to Crosby's 34 in 78. I don't think weather plays a huge factor in it either, considering today is only the first day of December, and that Walsh, Gostowski, Tucker, Cundiff and McManus rank ahead of him with fewer opportunities. I wonder if Masthay would be a better option, as consistently hitting touchbacks is big for field position.
You can tell things are going really good in a season when you get posts like this. How many run backs for TD's have there been? what has been the average starting field position? What has the hang time of the kicks been? You don't know if not kicking the ball to the end zone was part of the game plan. Maybe he's sacrificing yardage for hang time. Anyway a real non issue for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

What is the average yard line our opponents start on after kick-off?

Opponents average starting field position after a kickoff vs. the Packers is 24.68 yards which is dead last in the NFL (average at 21.81).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby will have the team record for points if he plays for us next season

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why kick the ball out of the endzone and let them start on the 20, when i regularly see us stopping them short of it on the returns? admitedly i only really see 3-5 games a season, but the last couple i've watched the kick-offs look to be deliberatley short of the endzone so we can stop them before they reach the 20. i will admit i could be wrong though

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why kick the ball out of the endzone and let them start on the 20, when i regularly see us stopping them short of it on the returns? admitedly i only really see 3-5 games a season, but the last couple i've watched the kick-offs look to be deliberatley short of the endzone so we can stop them before they reach the 20. i will admit i could be wrong though
Better read post #28 in this thread.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has been solid with field goals the past few years, so even with the miss last night I can't really complain.

My question concerns his kickoff abilities. Crosby currently ranks 12th among kickoff kickers in touchbacks, with 34. With someone who has as big a leg as Crosby does(or supposedly does) why does he struggle to kick touchbacks? I mean, the guy almost made a 69 yard field goal in 2008. You might think that 12th isn't too bad, but the number of touchbacks Crosby has is somewhat inflated due to the fact that he has more kickoffs this year than any other kicker. Thank you Aaron Rodgers. For example, Chandler Catanzo is ahead of him for 11th on the list, with 35 touchbacks in 59 kickoffs compared to Crosby's 34 in 78. I don't think weather plays a huge factor in it either, considering today is only the first day of December, and that Walsh, Gostowski, Tucker, Cundiff and McManus rank ahead of him with fewer opportunities. I wonder if Masthay would be a better option, as consistently hitting touchbacks is big for field position.
Opponents average starting field position after a kickoff vs. the Packers is 24.68 yards which is dead last in the NFL (average at 21.81).

pkcwresa 26 p

Below is a website containing an article concerning Mason Crosby in Green Bay Press -Gazette dated Monday , December 8, 2014. In article, there is Q & A which deals with kicking in Lambeau Field during December.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../packers-mason-crosby-stays-focused/20062961/

H

HardRightEdge

I was scratching my head wondering why McCarthy was running the ball with Starks in the last series, risking a fumble. He could have just had Rodgers kneel down, then kick the FG for a 9 point lead with about 20 seconds on the clock.

I had a flashback to Herm Edwards' "Miracle at the Meadowlands."

Then it dawned on me...he was afraid the FG might be blocked.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you have a breakdown on 40+ yd. kicks for under vs. over 40 degrees?

First of all I have to correct myself as Crosby has made only 75.4% of his kicks outdoors when the temperature was under 40 degrees (in the stat I provided above the kicks in domes were included).

Crosby is 8-14 (57.1%) on kicks from 40-49 yards outdoors with the temperature under 40 degrees, 4-8 (50%) on kicks from 50+ yards.

In comparison he´s 39-52 (75%) on kicks from 40-49 yards either with the temperature above 40 degrees or in domes, 19-37 (51.4%) on kicks from 50+ yards.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really think less than 3 yards difference is a major concern? Tough crowd.

No, I would say that it should be cause for question. I can't imagine that our coaches are happy to be dead last in the category. I'd think they want to be better than that. I hope they do. It's a game of inches, as they say. And if we kick 7 times in the game it comes out to around 20 yards. 20 yards is a lot of inches!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people just need to find reasons to complain about Crosby. He had one horrendous season and has been an above average kicker in a tough climate.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I would say that it should be cause for question. I can't imagine that our coaches are happy to be dead last in the category. I'd think they want to be better than that. I hope they do. It's a game of inches, as they say. And if we kick 7 times in the game it comes out to around 20 yards. 20 yards is a lot of inches!

I'm sure the coaches don't want to be last in the category, but when you are only talking less than 3 yards difference between average and last place that's pretty minor IMO. If the Packers are kicking 7 times in a game than that means the offense is putting up a lot of points and a combined 20 yards over the course of the game isn't cause for concern. I would be a heck of a lot more concerned about the secondary giving up the amount of yards they gave up last night instead of a few yards on kickoffs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about him. And I don't feel like it's major. Do I think the coaches should be burning the midnight oil trying to solve the problem? No, there's bigger stuff, I'm sure. But I do hope they're looking at ways to improve. Always, right? That's all I'm trying to say.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about him. And I don't feel like it's major. Do I think the coaches should be burning the midnight oil trying to solve the problem? No, there's bigger stuff, I'm sure. But I do hope they're looking at ways to improve. Always, right? That's all I'm trying to say.

I think it goes without saying that coaches are always looking at ways to improve, if not then they shouldn't be coaching. :) I'm just saying the average starting position on kickoffs isn't all that bad even though they are last in the category and is pretty low priority in the overall scheme of things. Now if the starting position was 8 or more yards than the average, then I would say it would be a concern, but not for less than 3 yards.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was scratching my head wondering why McCarthy was running the ball with Starks in the last series, risking a fumble. He could have just had Rodgers kneel down, then kick the FG for a 9 point lead with about 20 seconds on the clock.

I had a flashback to Herm Edwards' "Miracle at the Meadowlands."

Then it dawned on me...he was afraid the FG might be blocked.

Keeping the ball and running the clock all the way down to end the game is better than kicking a FG and giving it back.

H

HardRightEdge

Keeping the ball and running the clock all the way down to end the game is better than kicking a FG and giving it back.
Under what scenario could a team with a 9 point lead, kicking off with 20 seconds on the clock, with the opponent having no timeouts, manage to tie or lose the game? There isn't one.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under what scenario could a team with a 9 point lead, kicking off with 20 seconds on the clock, with the opponent having no timeouts, manage to tie or lose the game? There isn't one.

There really isn't one, assuming that the field goal is successful. The main reason for not kicking the field goal is to prevent the other team from blocking the kick and returning it for a td. If you can run the clock out like they did, that is always the better option.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree 100% to insure a Packer win, but for us who had Crosby on our fantasy football team and needed another field goal to win, we were hoping for another field goal. :)

H

HardRightEdge

There really isn't one, assuming that the field goal is successful. The main reason for not kicking the field goal is to prevent the other team from blocking the kick and returning it for a td. If you can run the clock out like they did, that is always the better option.
Right. That's exactly what I said in post #38. Crosby had an EP blocked earlier in the day and another earlier in the season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts