Mason Crosby

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has been solid with field goals the past few years, so even with the miss last night I can't really complain.

My question concerns his kickoff abilities. Crosby currently ranks 12th among kickoff kickers in touchbacks, with 34. With someone who has as big a leg as Crosby does(or supposedly does) why does he struggle to kick touchbacks? I mean, the guy almost made a 69 yard field goal in 2008. You might think that 12th isn't too bad, but the number of touchbacks Crosby has is somewhat inflated due to the fact that he has more kickoffs this year than any other kicker. Thank you Aaron Rodgers. For example, Chandler Catanzo is ahead of him for 11th on the list, with 35 touchbacks in 59 kickoffs compared to Crosby's 34 in 78. I don't think weather plays a huge factor in it either, considering today is only the first day of December, and that Walsh, Gostowski, Tucker, Cundiff and McManus rank ahead of him with fewer opportunities. I wonder if Masthay would be a better option, as consistently hitting touchbacks is big for field position.

Reaction score
I don't give Crosby a pass on that missed field goal yesterday. This is the pro's. A 40 yarder is a chip shot in the pro's.
It's lucky that miss didn't come down to costing them the game. I'll take the win! What a great game.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't give Crosby a pass on that missed field goal yesterday. This is the pro's. A 40 yarder is a chip shot in the pro's.
It's lucky that miss didn't come down to costing them the game. I'll take the win! What a great game.

Trust me, I was really mad when it happened but he's been pretty close to automatic other than that. It was a huge field goal which could have decided the game, but luckily it didn't. Anything under 45 in the pros should be made every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers are actually only 26th in kickoff touchback percentage. Not sure about the reasons for it but I don't want to have Masthay take over for him as he was way too inconsistent last season.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are actually only 26th in kickoff touchback percentage. Not sure about the reasons for it but I don't want to have Masthay take over for him as he was way too inconsistent last season.

I couldn't find that statistic anywhere, so I just settled on the quantity of touchbacks instead. 26th in percentage shows that Crosby even being 12th in the league is highly, highly inflated due to how many opportunities he gets.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While Crosby is second in number of KOs according to nfl.com he’s 26th in touchback percentage at 42.5% and 28th in average yards at 61.9. They may have him directionally kick more than other kickers – I’m not making excuses for him, I really don’t know. I do know when it’s apparent he can kick it deep into the EZ and they still have him directionally kick or kick it short with hang time I usually don’t understand that decision. But I am much more concerned with FGs than KOs at this point. He’s been very good on FGs for last season and this season but remember 2012 was a very bad year for him when he hit on 63.6% of FG attempts. 89.2% last season and 87% so far this season. He did miss one yesterday he should have hit and the next one was just inside the upright. But after recovering from 2012 the way he did, he's again earned the benefit of the doubt from me. (FG% from espn http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking and KO stats from nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...fensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false)

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, I was really mad when it happened but he's been pretty close to automatic other than that. It was a huge field goal which could have decided the game, but luckily it didn't. Anything under 45 in the pros should be made every time.

If the Packers lost it wouldn't be Masons fault, he couldn't help it the offense keep sputtering in the red zone.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man i thought it was just me, I'm like why isn't this guy kicking it out the end zone. Make them start from the 20.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL. Chip shot? When it's 22 degrees and windy? No.

As for criticizing his touchback %, that argument is without merit. We don't know what he's being instructed to do. If he's being told to loft it high with more hang time, then the criticism does not fairly lie with him.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to give Crosby a pass on this one. The ball was sailing very strangely on every kick (place kicks as well as punts) by either team. Each team missed a field goal that wasn't overly long also. As for the lack of touch-backs in other games, the Packers seem to be more concerned with directional kicking and placement than they are with just booming them all out of the end zone. At least that was their reasoning for putting Crosby back in for kick-offs after the brief run Masthay had.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Fine let's trade Crosby for one of Detroit old kickers. Let's hear their fans opinion on Crosby. Missed field goals happen, mistakes happen. It doesn't happen too often, so Crosby is still good

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine let's trade Crosby for one of Detroit old kickers. Let's hear their fans opinion on Crosby. Missed field goals happen, mistakes happen. It doesn't happen too often, so Crosby is still good
Guess some folks have to complain about something. Crosby's been solid the last two seasons.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know about the rest of the reason for Crosby, but nobody was kicking long in the Packer game Sunday.

Gostkowski wasn't kicking them out of the end zone either. He had four kickoffs and all four were returned.

All the punts were short too from Masthay and Allen. Longest was
only 41 yards.

It was probably tough to kick due to wind or cold.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it should be made. 40 yards is not far for NFL kickers these days, in an era where they are more accurate than ever.
I would venture than you would be hard pressed to find ANY kicker who could make such a kick much more than half of the time. They say every MPH of wind reduces your distance by roughly a yard. That's not to mention the unpredictability of the ball flight into such a wind.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score

as long as the kicker hits 85% and can do it in the clutch we should never complain

Reaction score
LOL. Chip shot? When it's 22 degrees and windy? No.

As for criticizing his touchback %, that argument is without merit. We don't know what he's being instructed to do. If he's being told to loft it high with more hang time, then the criticism does not fairly lie with him.
...........Sorry, we will need to agree to disagree. No pass on the missed field goal. Cold and windy, it's Green Bay Wisc.
I'm glad it didn't come down to making a difference.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously if the Pack lost the game the last person i'd blame is Mason anyone blaming Mason for missing a field goal and saying it would be his fault if the Pack did lose are delusional. You can't blame the kicker or the punter when your offense is 0/4 in the red-zone. Your holding only one aspect of the game to absolute perfection while letting the offense getting off easy for not finishing the job.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The guy is making 87% of his FG attempts and 100% in games we lost. You're a mighty hard man to please.

Members online