Mason Crosby

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get the feeling Crosby lost his job today if he doesn't blow it out of the water vs. the Seahawks. Sad for me to see.

Sergio is such a wild card. I'm still not sure if he's a starting NFL kicker. Either way, a decision has to be made after preseason week 3. I'll be rooting for him and Sergio, but signing someone else may be the smartest decision.

12theTruth

Get the feeling Crosby lost his job today if he doesn't blow it out of the water vs. the Seahawks. Sad for me to see.

Sergio is such a wild card. I'm still not sure if he's a starting NFL kicker. Either way, a decision has to be made after preseason week 3. I'll be rooting for him and Sergio, but signing someone else may be the smartest decision.

Looks like one of Mason Crosby's last staunch defenders is finally coming around :)

12theTruth

No stress? Are you kidding? There isn't much higher stress than a situation where making or missing kicks could cost you your 7 figure job. Say what you want about whether he should be our kicker or not, which is certainly debatable, but let's not pretend he's not kicking under stress. The only thing I could imagine being more stressful is going out to attempt a 48-yarder in overtime at the Super Bowl.

This stress is of his own doing. No need or reason to be stressed if he is a competent career FG kicker as a few have suggested. Maybe Crosby should see a shrink. I think I read last year where that was not needed or something to that effect. Might have to make a drinking game after Missin Crosby this season. After every Crosby shank one must consume a Jägerbomb

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not sure if Sergio is an NFL kicker, wants to sign Rugland who's never played football before. Perfect sense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep an eye on a rookie in the Detroit Lions camp; Havard Rutland.

Sounds like Schwartz is still in Akers' corner as of now. Good chance he gets cut. Without having much to go on but a youtube video and a couple preseason kicks, he's definitely a boom/bust type of proposition. But the boom could be very big. Obviously being from Norway, cold weather is no problem for him. What's his percentage in training camp so far?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first there were some ignoring Jennings comments, defending him....... they started to slowly see the light and come around.

Same thing here with Crosby.

The guy is a bad kicker no question about it. You are who you are, and for a kicker, the numbers don't lie.

If he's this shaky in fricking practice, he's going to be.... well, like he was last year, in games. We can't afford that. We can't blow everyone out all the time. We might have to win some close ones with a big kick at the end.
We can't have that.

It's too bad we didn't sign Carpenter right away, or Lindell.... or even draft the guys they drafted to replace them.
Sturgis and Hopkins, many of us wanted to draft one of them late.

Oh well. It probably won't cost us a Super Bowl.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We passed on a guy as inconsistent as Crosby and a 36 yo leg. There will be other cuts, and I'm not talking Lions

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad we didn't sign Carpenter right away, or Lindell.... or even draft the guys they drafted to replace them.Sturgis and Hopkins, many of us wanted to draft one of them late.

Still not sure where all the love for Carpenter comes from. He's an 82% guy who was cut from one of the easiest outdoor stadiums to kick in. There's no doubt that percentage would suffer coming into one of the most difficult places to kick. When the Dolphins use a draft pick to replace him, something's up and it's not just his contract.

Looks to me like a case of ABC (anyone but Crosby). Not sure that's the wisest course.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No stress? Are you kidding? There isn't much higher stress than a situation where making or missing kicks could cost you your 7 figure job. Say what you want about whether he should be our kicker or not, which is certainly debatable, but let's not pretend he's not kicking under stress. The only thing I could imagine being more stressful is going out to attempt a 48-yarder in overtime at the Super Bowl.

So you are telling me that his practice kicks are as stressful as a game time kick? yeah, ok. No mega crowd in practice, no mega crowd noise, no clock ticking down on you, no O-line and jumping D-line to kick over. For an NFL veteran kicker, kicking in practice should be just as easy as walking in the park.

I'm starting to think that you are Misson crosby's little brother or something.

12theTruth

Still not sure where all the love for Carpenter comes from. He's an 82% guy who was cut from one of the easiest outdoor stadiums to kick in. There's no doubt that percentage would suffer coming into one of the most difficult places to kick. When the Dolphins use a draft pick to replace him, something's up and it's not just his contract.

Looks to me like a case of ABC (anyone but Crosby). Not sure that's the wisest course.

Thanks to the powers that be theres not much left to choose from because of waiting so long. In all liklihood the Packers aren't going to get a vast improvement over Crosby although it seems a one legged midget could probably be an improvement over Crosby at this point. :)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Thanks to the powers that be theres not much left to choose from because of waiting so long. In all liklihood the Packers aren't going to get a vast improvement over Crosby although it seems a one legged midget could probably be an improvement over Crosby at this point. :)
I`ll bet that within an hour of you mentioning that midget, the Vikings had a look at him ! ;)

Would Crosby look good in purple ??

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first there were some ignoring Jennings comments, defending him....... they started to slowly see the light and come around.
Same thing here with Crosby.
Ahhh, classic. So what you're boasting is that you've got terrific insights and the rest of us poor saps needed to wait around until more information became available? We all came to the same decision so who figured it out first is meaningless, but we'll give you credit if that's what you're after.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh, classic. So what you're boasting is that you've got terrific insights and the rest of us poor saps needed to wait around until more information became available? We all came to the same decision so who figured it out first is meaningless, but we'll give you credit if that's what you're after.
No not exactly.... it's just that there were a few holdouts who tried to wish it away, or who didn't connect the dots, so-to-speak.... nothing wrong with that I guess to be very forgiving, always give the benefit of the doubt, turn the other cheek, keep the head in the sand, whatever cliche you want..... but now we're all in agreement that Jennings is a turd. That's good.

Last year I can clearly remember 2 or even 3 games where almost all of us were ready to see Crosby out the door and we expected that.

Judging a kicker is pretty simple compared to many other positions.
His work has been subpar for years but worse, he's only hit one do-or-die kick, his first game ever interestingly enough.

Kicking is a lot like putting, or even hitting drives.
Ask Ian Baker-Finch or David Duval. Sometimes you just lose it, lose your confidence.

Crosby struggling so much last year, and even in practice yesterday, that's an ominous sign. No doubt about it, he has trouble between the ears.

I like the guy as a person a lot.
But I want a kicker who makes kicks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We've known Crosby was a bum. We're just trying to figure out what makes him a bum since the staff won't get rid of him. Tavecchio's leg seems to have gotten stronger, so we may have our viable replacement.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can describe it how you want but some of those holdouts weren't willing to toss aside a guy in a mid-season slump, albeit a bad one. Was it a case of 'heads in the sand' or giving a guy a chance to turn things around? We all clearly see now that he has issues beyond a slump, but to say those folks were just turning the other cheek is disingenuous. Some people are quick to judge but that doesn't mean that their heads are out of the sand either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are telling me that his practice kicks are as stressful as a game time kick? yeah, ok. No mega crowd in practice, no mega crowd noise, no clock ticking down on you, no O-line and jumping D-line to kick over. For an NFL veteran kicker, kicking in practice should be just as easy as walking in the park.

Knowing you messed up big on Family Night? Knowing if you do it again, your multimillion dollar job could be gone? Yeah, THAT'S PRETTY DAMN STRESSFUL. That's more stressful than any game kick. And what's this nonsense about no OL or DL going after your kick? You think all they do in practice is kick from the little metal ball holder or something?

I'm starting to think that you are Misson crosby's little brother or something.

I don't know who the hell that is, but I'm thinking you must be one of those Gramatica boys looking for any way to sneak back onto a team.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There wasn't much to choose from in the first place. Lindell? His leg is gone. No thanks. Carpenter? 81.9% at one of the friendliest places to kick? No thanks.

Let's take one last close look at Carpenter. The entire NFL has a 78.2% average at Lambeau over the last 14 years, which drops to 76.6% in the second half of the season when it gets even tougher to kick. Reportedly, with the new addition, it is expected that Lambeau may become tougher yet to kick in.

Miami is an 82.5% stadium. Carpenter is only 79% at home. That would indicate he is a better road kicker than he is a home kicker for whatever reason. Is there a reason to believe that would change in Green Bay? Probably not.

Dan Carpenter's career 81.9% is a slightly below the league average. It stands to reason that his percentage is helped by kicking in a kicker-friendly stadium 9-12 times per year. Move him to a team where he's going to be in kicker hostile stadiums at least 9 times a year (GB & CHI), keep him slightly below the NFL average and you're most likely looking at a guy who is going to make around 75% of his kicks at Lambeau and right around 77% overall.

I just don't see where Carpenter would have been any kind of upgrade and no doubt the Packers scouting department didn't either. In fact, he could have been worse.

BTW, in kicker-friendly venues (domes, Miami, SD, Tampa, Houston) Crosby hits 86% of his kicks, so venue matters, and for some guys it matters a lot. I bet if their situations were reversed with Crosby and Carpenter over the last 6 seasons that people would still be wanting Carpenter gone from GB and Miami wouldn't have drafted a kicker to replace Crosby.

Here's the bottom line. We can dream all we want about having a kicker who hits 86% of his kicks in Green Bay. The fact is, it's not going to happen unless we can somehow wrestle Robbie Gould away from Chicago. Finding a kicker who can do that in GB is about like Chicago finding a competent QB. It could happen, but don't count on it.

H

HardRightEdge

Do teams have a back up kicker? Or would it be the punter who fills that role? And what if something happened to the punter?

There's an emergency backup at each position who would be thrown in to finish the game, but not beyond that, just as Jordy Nelson is (or was) our emergency 3rd. string QB...maybe Cobb now...I couldn't say.

After that, the street is combed for a serviceable replacement, even if it's Olindo Mare or some guy who hasn't played since 2011.

You probably should have also included long snapper in your question.

H

HardRightEdge

If he does bump Crosby, he should legally change his name to "Sergio".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts