1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Mason Crosby

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Jul 27, 2013.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,561
    Uh huh. Then, if you need to turn to Plan C, the best options have gone to other teams.

Reference: Back-up QB

2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/59489/packers-practice-report-van-rotens-chance
    Using my super secret math skills, I calculate Crosby at 78% and Tavecchio at 90% so far this camp with both kicking at a whopping 100% during preseason games when it counts!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,561
    I just read that Tavecchio missed 6 extra points in his senior year at Cal. What's that all about? Putting yips?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    It'll be interesting to see what MM do. Tavecchio takes 3 steps when kicking. Crosby 2. Slocum wants the FG or EP kicked in 1.8 secs. after its hiked. Plus Tavecchio hasn't kicked in cold weather to my knowledge.

5. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +816
    The approach and timing are a non-issue. The vast majority of kickers use the same approach Tavecchio does and he gets it off in good time too.

6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,561
    Has MM uttered the name "Georgio" yet? ;) At that point it might go from a Crosby challenge to a bona fide competition.

7. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Just "Sergio" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    cb1.jpg

The competition is heating up at Kicker !

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,405
    Lamest camp battle ever lol

10. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel some have grossly overated Crosby's performance and value to the Pack. When its not distance on kickoffs, its accuracy. He has a strong leg but has accuracy problems. I will never trust him again after I saw him miss a field goal 15 yards wide right in a game last season, got a second chance and missed 10 yards wide left.

The family night debacle is just a hint of what will rear its ugly head at some point this season. Hitting about 4 FG's in a row over 2 games, none of which are more than 50 yards doesn't mean Crosby all of a sudden is back to being his old mediocre self.

At this point unless Crosby becomes unglued in the next two weeks we will once again be stuck with him as placekicker as he will win the competition in all cases unless Tavecchio thoroughly outperforms Crosby from here on out. They are pretty much dead even now and unfortunately that will go to the incumbent every time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    Should Crosby win the job & screws up this yr it'll likely be his last. Should be anyway if he plays anything like last year

12. Naoise Waldron

Naoise Waldron Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Crosby kicked well this morning at practice

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    TT said today that our 2013 kicker may not be on the roster right now. While he could just be pandering to the crowd, I believe it. Despite what some have said, there were no slam dunk free agent kickers available this offseason. However, if one becomes available I believe that he would make the move. We saw TT cut Jon Ryan just before the season for consistency issues. Of course, he got Frost and the insistence of Mike Stock but eventually got to Masthay. It can take some time to find a better option, and the next option isn't always better.

Overriding all of this is my belief that Crosby's struggles aren't bad for the Packers. I'd rather have MM operate with the mentality of going for it in the 45-55 yard range but letting Crosby kick under 45. I like the odds with our offense.

14. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Do teams have a back up kicker? Or would it be the punter who fills that role?
    And what if something happened to the punter?

15. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    No, yes, and I believe TJ Lang won a kicking competition a few years back.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    If you remember back to the year that the Patriots lost their punter for a few weeks, they just kept going for it on 4th down. Often times the kickers and punters switch up so that they can be an emergency fill-in but in a real pinch teams can always find a FA kicker or punter to fill in for a few games or rest of the season. Those guys tend to keep kicking in the offseason and don't need to stay in "football shape" like actual football players

17. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Cardinals signed Dan Carpenter. And I think I saw Lindell signed elsewhere. So, no known kickers are available as of right now. There will be some more cuts. I'm keeping my eye on the Kickalicious guy in Detroit. Otherwise, who the heck knows. Crosby did well last game. But, it's still tough to trust the guy. I get the feeling, though, that this is a TT guy that he loathes to move on from - kind of in the A.J. Hawk mode if you will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I still think that's flawed thinking about Hawk at least. I don't dispute his disappointment as a top 5 pick, but he's been our most reliable linebacker since 2006. He played his best in 2010 when everyone else got injured, got a contract out of it, and recently pealed back the contract to be commensurate with his play. He's still solid but not electric and doesn't cost the Packers a ton of money. It's easy to say let's get another guy, but that's the easy crap spewed on forums that is a lot more difficult to do in reality. ILB was not a draft/free agent priority on anyone's list compared to other positions the past few offseasons

19. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,190
    Just so we have the quote, this is from jsonline's notes column yesterday:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ng-back-depth-chart-b9979915z1-220456391.html

I understand your point about McCarthy being more aggressive going for first downs instead of trying long kicks but Crosby's struggles were bad for the Packers last season even aside from long FG attempts. I'm sure you'll agree he was no sure thing with FG attempts under 45 yards.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  20. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Well... Crosby just missed three straight 40-yarders in practice. I still think it's mental at this point. We cannot rely on him. We need somebody new.

21. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Couldn't agree more. Yet there are some that will still find an excuse for those easy misses in practice under a no stress situation.

22. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,184
    Thats one hell of a telescope you have there....lol ;)

23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I do. Missing three from mid-range in practice today might have cost Mason his job. I'm not sure that TT will pull the trigger unless there is a good option out there. I'm not sure that changing just for the sake of change is better than keeping a marginal kicker and working hard to find a new one next season.

24. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +816
    No stress? Are you kidding? There isn't much higher stress than a situation where making or missing kicks could cost you your 7 figure job. Say what you want about whether he should be our kicker or not, which is certainly debatable, but let's not pretend he's not kicking under stress. The only thing I could imagine being more stressful is going out to attempt a 48-yarder in overtime at the Super Bowl.

25. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +816
    A lot will depend on what Crosby and Tevecchio do in the final 2 preseason games. I would give both of them as many opportunities as possible, even if it meant kicking before 4th down.