Mason Crosby

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn you TT! lol. could have gotten someone in the 7th for a fraction...

OP
OP
rawalabhay

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yhea I am still waiting for him to be clutch. He has the leg, and is not afraid to tackle on special teams!

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 90% from within 40 yards and could be huge when one considers the kickoffs are being moved up to the 35-yard line.

There are few kickers who possess the combination of such short-range accuracy and range to attempt 65 yarders. Thumbs up on this signing.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhere out there , Green_Bay_Packers is jumping around and screaming! LOL! Happy for Mason and I trust in Ted's decisions. I think he's going to develop into at least a quality kicker. The rest of our team is solid enough where we may not be relying as heavily on our kicker to win us games anyway.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope his contract is incentive laden. I think the key for Crosby is to get him a consistant guy to hold for him. Lets see what happens for Crosby now that TT has given him the green light.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's an incentive to get the offense to do better?
They could be thinking with a game on the line: OK guys. It's 3rd and 15 with 70 yards to the end zone with 10 seconds left. We have to get a TD because we know how iffy Mason is in situations like this.
Next play: Aaron Rodgers goes back to pass. A man open in the end zone. Touchdown! Packers win!

See how this works? I'm just half kidding though.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Paging Green_Bay_Packers. Respond, Green_Bay_Packers.

Seriously where is he?? He is state side so he should of heard the news by now... tick tock buddy!!:search:
*not that he couldn't hear the news where ever he is!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone remembers Crosby's last-second failures, with wins on the line. But overall, he's been crappy too.

Ryan Longwell in GB
97-98 - 80.0%
98-99 - 87.9%
99-00 - 83.3%
00-01 - 86.8%
01-02 - 64.5%
02-03 - 82.4%
03-04 - 88.5%
04-05 - 85.7%
05-06 - 74.1%

Mason Crosby
07-08 - 79.5%
08-09 - 79.4%
09-10 - 75.0%
10-11 - 78.6%

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trust in ted

M.C. is a decent Kicker... plus he is a cold weather guy that CAN make the long ones

its those random 30 yarders on sunny days he has some problems with.....

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone remembers Crosby's last-second failures, with wins on the line. But overall, he's been crappy too.

Ryan Longwell in GB
97-98 - 80.0%
98-99 - 87.9%
99-00 - 83.3%
00-01 - 86.8%
01-02 - 64.5%
02-03 - 82.4%
03-04 - 88.5%
04-05 - 85.7%
05-06 - 74.1%

Mason Crosby
07-08 - 79.5%
08-09 - 79.4%
09-10 - 75.0%
10-11 - 78.6%

Misleading.

Crosby = 89.9% (71/79) within 40 yards in his first four seasons.
Longwell = 89.1% (74/83) within 40 yards in his first four seasons

Longwell was 5/9 from 50+ after his first four seasons. Crosby is 10/21 and has attempted field goals much longer than 50.

Guys like Crosby and Janikowski get a bad knock because their overall field-goal percentage is effected from their field-goal attempts outside the 25-yard line and especially outside the 35-yard line.

He's still 27 (in September) and will easily be a top 5 kicker once he gets a little more accuracy from 45-49. Easy decision for TT to keep Crosby.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trust in ted

M.C. is a decent Kicker... plus he is a cold weather guy that CAN make the long ones

its those random 30 yarders on sunny days he has some problems with.....

He's missed one kick within 30 yards and one extra point in four seasons and now he has problems with it.

Well the great Ryan Longwell missed three kicks from within 30 yards and two extra points in his first four seasons.

Not sure where this Crosby hate is coming from... lol.

OP
OP
rawalabhay

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still is a good kicker not a great kicker yet! If next season he wins a few games for us all will be forgiven!

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Misleading.

Crosby = 89.9% (71/79) within 40 yards in his first four seasons.
Longwell = 89.1% (74/83) within 40 yards in his first four seasons

Longwell was 5/9 from 50+ after his first four seasons. Crosby is 10/21 and has attempted field goals much longer than 50.

Guys like Crosby and Janikowski get a bad knock because their overall field-goal percentage is effected from their field-goal attempts outside the 25-yard line and especially outside the 35-yard line.

He's still 27 (in September) and will easily be a top 5 kicker once he gets a little more accuracy from 45-49. Easy decision for TT to keep Crosby.

Not a chance. This is one position that Ted screwed up on. TT wouldn't pay Longwell $2 mill and went with Crosby instead. Now he gives Crosby top-5 kicker money for a guy that is pretty middle-of-the-pack.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance. This is one position that Ted screwed up on. TT wouldn't pay Longwell $2 mill and went with Crosby instead. Now he gives Crosby top-5 kicker money for a guy that is pretty middle-of-the-pack.

... So, why did you say "Not a chance?"

TT screws up when he releases the kicker who is 90% within 40. TT screws up when he resigns the kicker who is 90% within 40 and has much better range to attempt longer attempts (Which is why his overall percentage is in the 70s). I'd rather have Crosby's leg on kickoffs too now that they're at the 35-yard line if they allow him to boom it.

Adam V is probably the only kicker in NFL history who will always make 50-yard field goals as time expires so if you're only hating him for his misses against Minnesota and Detroit well that's silly. The Packers are very fortunate to have Crosby.

The one thing that would worry me is if he ever did go on a major slump like Hartley did last year and how he'd respond. I'll worry about "If" when it comes.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
... So, why did you say "Not a chance?"

TT screws up when he releases the kicker who is 90% within 40. TT screws up when he resigns the kicker who is 90% within 40 and has much better range to attempt longer attempts (Which is why his overall percentage is in the 70s). I'd rather have Crosby's leg on kickoffs too now that they're at the 35-yard line if they allow him to boom it.

Adam V is probably the only kicker in NFL history who will always make 50-yard field goals as time expires so if you're only hating him for his misses against Minnesota and Detroit well that's silly. The Packers are very fortunate to have Crosby.

The one thing that would worry me is if he ever did go on a major slump like Hartley did last year and how he'd respond. I'll worry about "If" when it comes.

Crosby's leg on kickoffs? He had 4 touchbacks last year, an awful number. I think most NFL kickers will be able to put the ball in the end zone with the new rules. I do think some of this was the fault of one of the worst ST coordinators in the NFL.

89% from 39 and in is a solid number, I agree. However, he is only 81.5% from 30-39 yards. The "within 40" number is skewed by his 97% from 20-29, which is obviously a great percentage but one that all decent NFL kickers should hit.

Ryan Longwell has not missed a kick from within 29 yards with the Vikings since he's been there. He's 6% better than Crosby on kicks between 30-39 yards and is 81% on kicks between 40-49. On those same length of kicks, Crosby hits them 70% of the time. Longwell also had a markedly better percentage on kicks of longer than 50 but that's a little skewed because of the number of long tries that Mason's big leg allows him to attempt.

Keep in mind that we also suffered thru a season with Dave Rayner's 74% mark before getting Crosby and I don't see how you can say it was a good decision to let Longwell go, especially to the Vikings. I just think Crosby got more money than he should have. I'm still gonna pull for him to hit every kick and I love watching kicks like the team record 56-yarder he hit this year.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's leg on kickoffs? He had 4 touchbacks last year, an awful number. I think most NFL kickers will be able to put the ball in the end zone with the new rules. I do think some of this was the fault of one of the worst ST coordinators in the NFL.

89% from 39 and in is a solid number, I agree. However, he is only 81.5% from 30-39 yards. The "within 40" number is skewed by his 97% from 20-29, which is obviously a great percentage but one that all decent NFL kickers should hit.

Ryan Longwell has not missed a kick from within 29 yards with the Vikings since he's been there. He's 6% better than Crosby on kicks between 30-39 yards and is 81% on kicks between 40-49. On those same length of kicks, Crosby hits them 70% of the time. Longwell also had a markedly better percentage on kicks of longer than 50 but that's a little skewed because of the number of long tries that Mason's big leg allows him to attempt.

Keep in mind that we also suffered thru a season with Dave Rayner's 74% mark before getting Crosby and I don't see how you can say it was a good decision to let Longwell go, especially to the Vikings. I just think Crosby got more money than he should have. I'm still gonna pull for him to hit every kick and I love watching kicks like the team record 56-yarder he hit this year.

The four touchbacks is true. Thing is, I don't know why he's been doing that pooch-kicking crap (I've heard it's the special teams coordinator requesting it). I'm pretty sure that will change now with the kickoff being moved up. I'd be shocked if we don't see more touchbacks and more line drive kicks. I do think that's a major reason for TT giving him $3 million guaranteed.

Kickers will normally have more success in Minnesota or Detroit. They're mostly kicking in domes. Longwell's numbers wouldn't be as good if he's playing eight games per season at Lambeau.

Longwell was also coming off the second-worst season of his career before joining Minnesota, 74.1%. I can't blame TT for not paying a kicker when we were completely in rebuilding mode and trying to eliminate contracts.

This may be dumb but I believe this is the best way to make Crosby better: Stop trying so many of those ridiculous field-goal attempts. I've felt that it messes with his confidence on shorter kicks when he's flopping on so many 50+.

I would concede that Longwell is the better kicker at this stage of his career (at least with the dome). My thing is that I'd expect Crosby will eventually be as all-around accurate and still have his range to spare. He's done as good if not better than Longwell did through his first four seasons and he has much better range.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
The four touchbacks is true. Thing is, I don't know why he's been doing that pooch-kicking crap (I've heard it's the special teams coordinator requesting it). I'm pretty sure that will change now with the kickoff being moved up. I'd be shocked if we don't see more touchbacks and more line drive kicks. I do think that's a major reason for TT giving him $3 million guaranteed.

Kickers will normally have more success in Minnesota or Detroit. They're mostly kicking in domes. Longwell's numbers wouldn't be as good if he's playing eight games per season at Lambeau.

Longwell was also coming off the second-worst season of his career before joining Minnesota, 74.1%. I can't blame TT for not paying a kicker when we were completely in rebuilding mode and trying to eliminate contracts.

This may be dumb but I believe this is the best way to make Crosby better: Stop trying so many of those ridiculous field-goal attempts. I've felt that it messes with his confidence on shorter kicks when he's flopping on so many 50+.

I would concede that Longwell is the better kicker at this stage of his career (at least with the dome). My thing is that I'd expect Crosby will eventually be as all-around accurate and still have his range to spare. He's done as good if not better than Longwell did through his first four seasons and he has much better range.

Well-put. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. And I've had that same thought about Mason's confidence and the long kicks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts