Mason Crosby sucks

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK now you got me wondering why Green Bay Packers likes/loves him so much.

I kinda empathize with the kickers because I know that would have beeen the position that I would want if I played in the NFL.
I'm not tough enough to be on the line.
I don't have the moves or speed to be a running back or receiver.
And to be honest, I don't like pain.
So I can relate to Mason, but at the same time I would rather if we had a better or above average kicker.
Didn't Mason blow some close games in the 2009 season?
That is something I haven't forgotten about even though the Pack won the SB the following year.

Ryan Longwell is/was better and I miss him.

Jasonfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As great as Thompson is, I think he struggles with cutting players that he drafted (Harrell for example), whether it is arrognace of not wanting to admit to being wrong, or because he is sentimental or about his players, or some unknown reason. Crosby is definitely below average and is especially unreliable in clutch situations.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question: Is there a back up kicker who is a bench warmer?
Cause if there is, MM should give him a chance in games.
If not, then what would happen if anything should happen to Mason?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As great as Thompson is, I think he struggles with cutting players that he drafted (Harrell for example), whether it is arrognace of not wanting to admit to being wrong, or because he is sentimental or about his players, or some unknown reason. Crosby is definitely below average and is especially unreliable in clutch situations.

He didn't cut Harrell bc he showed promise when he was healthy. He did well in camp and had flashes of being a quality player. Do you cut a player like that? No.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Serious question: Is there a back up kicker who is a bench warmer?
Cause if there is, MM should give him a chance in games.

No. If Crosby went down they would use the punter to fill in ... Or someone random I guess could do it like ocho did. But after the game they would just bring people in to try out. There are a ton of kickers out there available if you need one in a pinch.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I have always wondered the same. Why don't coaches order their kickers (and punters) to immediately exit the field after making the kick? Having your only kicker injured while trying to make a tackle, or get blind-sided by a cheap-shot artist (think of what happened to Clifton) just isn't worth it, imo.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - Haven't heard those theories in a long time. For every possible indication of arrogance from TT you can find 10,000 examples of his humbleness.

Many of the stars on the team started belowbelow average players. Finley, Collins, Tramon, etc. weren't always all pro in their early years. Finley ran wrong routes, dropped catches, and then blamed the QB in his first year. Maybe Thompson is actually looking at the player and seeing if he has the ability and the desire to suceed. Maybe he is using that criteria to select players.

Besides, he has cut players like that QB from Louisville he drafted in the first when the guy just didn't have what it takes.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow - Haven't heard those theories in a long time. For every possible indication of arrogance from TT you can find 10,000 examples of his humbleness.

Many of the stars on the team started belowbelow average players. Finley, Collins, Tramon, etc. weren't always all pro in their early years. Finley ran wrong routes, dropped catches, and then blamed the QB in his first year. Maybe Thompson is actually looking at the player and seeing if he has the ability and the desire to suceed. Maybe he is using that criteria to select players.

Besides, he has cut players like that QB from Louisville he drafted in the first when the guy just didn't have what it takes.

BB I think was a 2nd rounder. sorry pointless response, just being **** lol.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always wondered the same. Why don't coaches order their kickers (and punters) to immediately exit the field after making the kick? Having your only kicker injured while trying to make a tackle, or get blind-sided by a cheap-shot artist (think of what happened to Clifton) just isn't worth it, imo.

does that mean we should have mason out there as much as possible?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think he'll be OK in the long run. Maybe he needs some more experience. TT sees something in him and I trust in that. Meanwhile the team is in such a position where we really don't need to rely on our kicker to win us games.

He'd better do well this season! I drafted him in my fantasy team! :)

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby is fine.

Ryan Longwell wasn't very accurate when he first came into the NFL either. 64.5% in his 5th season (which is what Mason Crosby is entering) and he certainly didn't have the leg strength to constantly attempt 55-60 yarders (which skews Crosby's #).

I sure as heck don't want Olindo Mare or David Akers. Glad to have Crosby back.

Reaction score
What do you want the Packers to do? Release him and get someone who has even less of a chance of making a field goal? With our offense this year, we will have to attempt less field goals anyways. Instead of saying he's bad, why don't you suggest another kicker for us. Instead of criticizing the team on resigning someone, we should look to see why the decisions were made.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
^^^ I agree...we have to wait and see why decisions are made!!!

Hopefully we won't have to rely so much on FG anyways!! :D

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you want the Packers to do? Release him and get someone who has even less of a chance of making a field goal? With our offense this year, we will have to attempt less field goals anyways. Instead of saying he's bad, why don't you suggest another kicker for us. Instead of criticizing the team on resigning someone, we should look to see why the decisions were made.

I dont think it would be hard to find someone better, but sorry I dont follow kickers like QBs or RBs or WRs.

LOL! less of a chance? wow that might be hard to find someone with less of a chance of making field goals.

TTs bane has been STs. He hasnt managed it well at all. I dont even think this is up for debate. But I do give him somewhat of a pass for last year based on injuries. Its just all the other years that you can point to.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby is fine.

Ryan Longwell wasn't very accurate when he first came into the NFL either. 64.5% in his 5th season (which is what Mason Crosby is entering) and he certainly didn't have the leg strength to constantly attempt 55-60 yarders (which skews Crosby's #).

Could you skew that stat any more? hahah

OK lets give the whole story

Longwell year 1 - 80%
Longwell year 2 - 87.9%
Longwell year 3 - 83.3%
Longwell year 4 - 86.8%
Longwell year 5 - 64.5%
Longwell year 6 - 82.4%
Longwell year 7 - 88.5%
Longwell year 8 - 85.7%

So you try to argue your point by throwing out the worst year of his career? Which looks like an anomaly, not a trend.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Jersey Al's article completely proves Mason Crosby is a below average kicker in the NFL.

But stats can't measure potential. Though his history doesn't show progress, the physical skills are clearly there.

TT banked on familiarity and potential with Crosby. It's to be seen if the move will pan out (I don't think so), but there were reasons for that move, particularly the shortened offseason.

I do honestly believe the lockout helped Crosby, Slocum, Campen, even Jones retain their jobs.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been very surprised at how the lock out affected FA. I thought the market would be bigger and I think alot of guys, even top guys were shocked. Jenkins basically took 1 year contract with an option for a few more years. Nnamdi was expected to break the bank, didnt happen. Jones couldnt seem to get attention from major players. Such an odd year.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm only uber nervous when he's taking a FG of 45 yards or longer. He's decent in the 40-44 range.

Members online