Maryland and Rutgers to Big Ten

12theTruth

Cmon. Really? That is dumb in almost every way imaginable. TV markets and recruiting outreach is what they are after here. Geographically inept though. Fans are against it 3-1 in pretty much all 50 states.

Missouri and Iowa State would have made tons more sense BUT its all about the $$$$. Even though the conference is raking it in pretty good already. They just want MORE!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind anymore. We are moving to 4 super conferences. Regardless of geography or history. And if you don't get in one of these conferences you're chopped liver. Might as well drop a division. Maryland and Rutgers didn't want to be left out.

Missouri and Iowa State still could be let in at a later time giving the Big "Ten" "Sixteen" teams.

The idea is intriguing. Four conferences…two divisions in each conference…division winners play in conf. championship game….four champions play for nat’l title in playoff. Problem solved.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Iowa state? What does that bring the big 10? Not an elite school to my knowledge and they aren't great in any sport I can think of.

Who cares where the school is located! They are great TV markets and they expand the big 10 brand. If we are going to try and compete with the SEC this is how that's going to happen. Big 10 is now the best conference for basketball I would say.

I hope they add two more schools. Tennessee maybe? Kansas? Someone said North Carolina but I don't see that happening

Reaction score
Iowa state? What does that bring the big 10? Not an elite school to my knowledge and they aren't great in any sport I can think of.

Who cares where the school is located! They are great TV markets and they expand the big 10 brand. If we are going to try and compete with the SEC this is how that's going to happen. Big 10 is now the best conference for basketball I would say.

I hope they add two more schools. Tennessee maybe? Kansas? Someone said North Carolina but I don't see that happening

Back when we had 10 teams and were deciding to add a couple, I thought the logical choices, geographically speaking, (although that idea has had no bearing on conference admissions recently, obviously) would have been Missouri for one and although it would have NEVER happened (for football anyway).....Notre Dame as the other, for basketball. They are always competitive in BB and the Joyce Center is a great atmosphere. But ND makes too much $$$$ with the NBC football contract and will never dissolve that marriage, plus, I would prefer to add teams to the BIG that participate in both football and basketball. Nebraska was a positive addition to further strengthen an already tough football conference. I really anticipated Missouri joining alongside Nebraska and then adding possibly, Kansas, as being one of the teams you mentioned, Ivo. What a BRUTAL conference in BB that would have been! Louisville has become very relevent to college football and their BB program is top tier, of course, and may have been another team who I thought may vault for the BIG, but they have now joined the ACC. There were rumors and speculations that Pitt and West Virgina may join the BIG, too, at one time. Other than the BIG, I don't think I could tell which team is in what conference! So confusing but it's all about the $$$$$! It's going to be interesting how everything plays out. I'm sure we will grow to 16 teams, too. I just wished the BIG would please, for the love of God, change the division names! Leaders and Legends just doesn't do it for me.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having two East coast teams that aren't really relevant in anything except maybe lacrosse is just dumb. I'd like to see more quality teams get in so they can lure Notre Dame into joining the B1G.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having two East coast teams that aren't really relevant in anything except maybe lacrosse is just dumb. I'd like to see more quality teams get in so they can lure Notre Dame into joining the B1G.

Notre dame will never leave its independence for football if they continue getting those TV contracts. No chance.

Reguardless... It's about money, and those two offer so much much $ in terms of TV contracts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would not mind them trying for Texas and Florida schools. Great for recruiting. Think the B1G can get Arkansas?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not mind them trying for Texas and Florida schools. Great for recruiting. Think the B1G can get Arkansas?

Quality of education has to be there. You are limiting yourself as far as schools that would come to the Big 10 with good academics, in markets that would suit the big 10.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are still seeking 2 more according to some reports. It would make sense to have 16

Members online

Latest posts