Marvin Lewis: Replacement ref didn’t know defenseless receiver rule

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last night might have been the straw to break the camel's back. Money wise what the Refs are asking for all total is less than a small fraction of what one premium QB makes.

This is a multi-billion dollar business. What's the big deal of paying them what is the equivalent of pocket change for the players.

Wrong comparison. NFL players have rare talents and are paid as a commodity according to their value. NFL officials are already the highest paid officials per hour of work in all of sports.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wrong comparison. NFL players have rare talents and are paid as a commodity according to their value. NFL officials are already the highest paid officials per hour of work in all of sports.

And by that logic, NFL players were already highly paid yet wanted more last year..

so why should they have gotten more?

What he is saying is that if a team can pay the q.b so much, then surely the league has enough to pay the refs a tiny portion of it.

Not to mention the NFL just gave 30, or 50 million to brain injury research? I am sure that they can give a little bit extra to the refs

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a ref in the nfl is harder than being an ump or a ref in the NBA. And it's not even close. The comparison falls apart

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
In addition to your video Longtime; now we are reading that the players on the field know they have fanboy refs and the players are pushing the envelope on what they can get away with in illegal contact, after the whistle shots, etc. This is spiraling out of control. But Steve Young is right; as long as people are filling the seats, the NFL office doesn't care.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's almost laughable to listen to the spin Doctoring on the NFL network. Do you think they might be paid by the NFL?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to your video Longtime; now we are reading that the players on the field know they have fanboy refs and the players are pushing the envelope on what they can get away with in illegal contact, after the whistle shots, etc. This is spiraling out of control. But Steve Young is right; as long as people are filling the seats, the NFL office doesn't care.

Yeah that was seen this weekend..

A big fight happened and refs being pushed..Lack of respect and players should been removed from game for it

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What he is saying is that if a team can pay the q.b so much, then surely the league has enough to pay the refs a tiny portion of it.

No, because QBs have rare talents that are a commodity around the league and they are paid according to what the 32 team market dictates. Officiating football isn't a rare talent.

Not to mention the NFL just gave 30, or 50 million to brain injury research? I am sure that they can give a little bit extra to the refs

Brain injury research is FAR more important than paying greedy part-time referees more money than they deserve.

The idea that referees should be paid and given raises in accordance to the NFL's revenue stream is preposterous. If that's the standard, the next thing you know the NFL's custodial staff is going to be crying to be paid $100/hour too.

Hey, if the officials want a huge raise, fine. Go out and EARN IT. Improve your performance and get a raise. Each should be paid according to their own individual worth. Mike Carey is the best there is and he probably deserves a nice raise. But Walt Coleman deserves a pay CUT, if anything. If it was me I'd have fired him years ago, along with a few other guys I've already mentioned. But the NFLRA protects poor performers and promotes ineptitude by keeping those jokers around. It's time to cut these morons loose for good and go forward with guys who want to be NFL officials on a full-time basis. If that means a year of below average officiating, so be it. It'll result in better officiating in the long run.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's almost laughable to listen to the spin Doctoring on the NFL network. Do you think they might be paid by the NFL?

Funny you mention that, because all I'm reading is a bunch of spin by the pro-union media types. You see, the NFLRA hasn't been willing to compromise. All they want to do is demand... and if it costs them their jobs, TOO BAD.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Funny you mention that, because all I'm reading is a bunch of spin by the pro-union media types. You see, the NFLRA hasn't been willing to compromise. All they want to do is demand... and if it costs them their jobs, TOO BAD.

Coaches, players, Espn, nbc, cbs, writers, and fans. That's quite a conspiracy theory.

Would you agree that the Referees are an important part of the safety and presentation of the product?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Coaches, players, Espn, nbc, cbs, writers, and fans. That's quite a conspiracy theory.

As far as most fans go, if your team won, they're fine. If your team lost, they're horrible. Same as it was with the other guys.

BTW, Jason Garrett also thinks they're doing fine.

Would you agree that the Referees are an important part of the safety and presentation of the product?

No, I wouldn't. There's no evidence that injury frequency has gone up with the new officials. And presentation wise, I couldn't care less.

If it bothers you so much, why don't you support the NFLRA by boycotting the NFL until they cave to their demands? Let me guess. Not gonna happen, right? I guess the officials' presentation of the product isn't as important as you say.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In deference to the entertainment value of this thread, please do.

No, I'll triple down because I believe as already being the highest paid officials in all of sports, the NFLRA is entirely wrong on this thing. They're not as special as they think they are.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, you are misrepresenting the NFLRA's positions.

From Peter King ("pro-union media type"):

"One of the reasons there's such a stalemate between the NFL and the regular officials is the pension. Many of you have asked what that means. According to attorney Mike Arnold, who represents the officials, the NFL contributed $5.3 million to the officials' pension system in 2011, and planned to reduce that number to $2 million in 2012 under the current league bargaining proposal.
Under those numbers, the NFL contributed $44,167 per man to the 120 officials' pensions in 2011, and would contribute $16,667 per man in 2012. That's a difference of $27,500 per man.
"When we were hired,'' said referee Scott Green, a member of the officials' negotiating team, "we were told, 'Here's what the compensation is, and here's what the pension is.' We don't think it's fair to have such a major give-back without being able to negotiate that at all.''
That's the biggest under-the-radar reason we're entering day 16 of no substantive talks between the officials and the league."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/16/week-2/3.html

It's clear to us that your anti-union bias is behind your (untenable, imo) position, and you will defend the NFL's decision no matter how bad it becomes for players, coaches and fans. Either that or you are not in full possession of your faculties.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
As far as most fans go, if your team won, they're fine. If your team lost, they're horrible. Same as it was with the other guys.

BTW, Jason Garrett also thinks they're doing fine.

No, I wouldn't. There's no evidence that injury frequency has gone up with the new officials. And presentation wise, I couldn't care less.

If it bothers you so much, why don't you support the NFLRA by boycotting the NFL until they cave to their demands? Let me guess. Not gonna happen, right? I guess the officials' presentation of the product isn't as important as you say.

In fact boycotts were already being discussed on air. Suggestions have even been discussed re a walkout by the players and coaches on the basis of safety.

Presentation is what the NFL is about. If they provide more draining dragging games, they lose viewership. If they lose viewership, they lose advert dollars. I'm sure a multi-billion dollar business can pony up what amounts to about 1 per cent of total revenues for a quality product.

Personally, my brother a former season ticket holder and die hard fan of another team already said he's giving up on football if this doesn't change soon. I'll join him.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Once again, you are misrepresenting the NFLRA's positions.

From Peter King ("pro-union media type"):

"One of the reasons there's such a stalemate between the NFL and the regular officials is the pension. Many of you have asked what that means. According to attorney Mike Arnold, who represents the officials,

Stopped reading right there.

It's clear to us that your anti-union bias is behind your (untenable, imo) position, and you will defend the NFL's decision no matter how bad it becomes for players, coaches and fans.

Two problems with that statement. You say my anti-union bias is behind my position. Allow me to correct that assertion. I'm putting my anti-union bias front and center, and not afraid to say so.

Second, there are coaches, players and countless fans who have no problem with the new guys.

Either that or you are not in full possession of your faculties.

I'm going to turn that back on you except I'm going to be a little less diplomatic and much more direct to the point. Either you're a union hack or you're a blooming idiot.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In fact boycotts were already being discussed on air. Suggestions have even been discussed re a walkout by the players and coaches on the basis of safety.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Not gonna happen. You really think players are going to throw away millions of dollars for the zebras? Yeah, I know what that guy said 2 weeks ago, but he's just paying lip service to his union "brothers." It's B.S.

Presentation is what the NFL is about. If they provide more draining dragging games, they lose viewership.

If the NFL is worried about the games dragging they need to put the replays back in the booth like the NCAA does. They also need to drop the ridiculous idea of automatically review every turnover and score.

If they lose viewership, they lose advert dollars.

Again, not gonna happen. Fans are fans and will always be fans. Remember what word "fan" is derived from?

I'm sure a multi-billion dollar business can pony up what amounts to about 1 per cent of total revenues for a quality product.

And I'm sure Walmart could afford to pay their cashiers $50/hour. That doesn't mean they should. BTW, the NFL is still a quality product, no matter how much you want to claim otherwise.

Personally, my brother a former season ticket holder and die hard fan of another team already said he's giving up on football if this doesn't change soon. I'll join him.

So you're going to give up football because a bunch of poor quality, overpaid zebras are whining for more money and not getting it? Great! What are you waiting for?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stopped reading right there.

Two problems with that statement. You say my anti-union bias is behind my position. Allow me to correct that assertion. I'm putting my anti-union bias front and center, and not afraid to say so.

Second, there are coaches, players and countless fans who have no problem with the new guys.

I'm going to turn that back on you except I'm going to be a little less diplomatic and much more direct to the point. Either you're a union hack or you're a blooming idiot.

I'd be willing to wager that GWH is one of the most intelligent members on the forum. At the very least as knowledgable about the Green Bay Packers as anyone on here. But hey us "union hacks" stick together I guess.

Jason Garrett is toeing the company line, as JJ is fully behind the nfl. He knows where his bread is buttered.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd be willing to wager that GWH is one of the most intelligent members on the forum. At the very least as knowledgable about the Green Bay Packers as anyone on here. But hey us "union hacks" stick together I guess.

His intelligence is irrelevant. And since you've identified yourself as a union hack, here's a question for you:

How does bowing to the NFLRA improve the long term improvement of NFL officiating, which has been terrible for years? Would you support official performance reviews with real teeth? Let's put it this way: if their jobs are virtually guaranteed, what incentive do they have to improve their performance? At least 3 or 4 of the NFLRA crews should have been fired YEARS ago. And most of these guys are already making well over $100,000 in their other jobs anyway. Unions promote mediocrity by unconditionally defending their worst members. Just look at Chicago.

Jason Garrett is toeing the company line, as JJ is fully behind the nfl. He knows where his bread is buttered.

No, speaking of intelligence, Jason Garrett is probably one of the most intelligent people in the NFL. He simply recognizes an attempted snow-job when he sees it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
: BTW, the NFL is still a quality product, no matter how much you want to claim otherwise.

So you're going to give up football because a bunch of poor quality, overpaid zebras are whining for more money and not getting it? Great! What are you waiting for?

Name calling and mis-characterization. The stunning intellect of such statements is truly overwhelming.

It's no longer a quality product when each game has interminable delays. It gets boring. I used to be an avid Baseball fan, but gave up on it as did many others. Never go to games any more and don't bother watching it.

I can do that for Football too. Don't underestimate the boredom factor of viewers. Goodell might and it may be part of the decline of the NFL.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His intelligence is irrelevant. And since you've identified yourself as a union hack, here's a question for you:

How does bowing to the NFLRA improve the long term improvement of NFL officiating, which has been terrible for years? Would you support official performance reviews with real teeth? Let's put it this way: if their jobs are virtually guaranteed, what incentive do they have to improve their performance? At least 3 or 4 of the NFLRA crews should have been fired YEARS ago. And most of these guys are already making well over $100,000 in their other jobs anyway. Unions promote mediocrity by unconditionally defending their worst members. Just look at Chicago.

No, speaking of intelligence, Jason Garrett is probably one of the most intelligent people in the NFL. He simply recognizes an attempted snow-job when he sees it.

I was more or less mocking your comment on union hacks. My feelings towards unions differs on the situation and the industry. It's ignorant to take one view point like that and apply it across the board. I see you bring up the Chicago teachers but lets try to stay on topic ok? There are better places on the Internet if you have the urge to discuss that topic.

Jason Garrett is going to support his boss, as JJ is the biggest supporter of this situation. The way JJ goes through coaches it's in his best interest. His familys food on the table > integrity of the game.

NFL officials are reviewed and scored. They have been for years. This is how they decide who works playoff games and the Superbowl. This is common knowledge.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's no longer a quality product when each game has interminable delays. It gets boring.

Do you know why that is? It's because the NFLRA insisted on have replays done by the Referee on the field because it hurt their fragile egos to be overruled. Reviews don't take NEARLY as long in college because they do it in the booth. It's also the new policy of reviewing every turnover and scoring play, which is ridiculous.

I can do that for Football too. Don't underestimate the boredom factor of viewers. Goodell might and it may be part of the decline of the NFL.

Like I said before, what's stopping you? Stand in solidarity with your union brethren and boycott the game for the sake of those poor, mistreated, wealthy officials!:roflmao:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts