1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Marvin Lewis: Replacement ref didn’t know defenseless receiver rule

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by News Bot, Aug 24, 2012.

1. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Looked like there were bad calls on both sides of the ball, but the biggest thing is they ruined any flow to the game with their conferences after just about every play. At least the game moves faster with the real refs, good or bad.

2. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    I agree. I was frustrated watching it. I bet the players were too.

3. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    There were way more bad calls on the packers then the 49ers. The damn refs took the wind out of our sails several times. The calls were BS. The 49ers got away with 3 false starts that never got called, they got away with several holding calls, they got away with pass interference yet well get called on it...even offensive pass int when JJ was not even pushing off. All the ref saw was the WR put his hands up and BAM, we got nailed with a BS call.

4. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61
    I thought so too. Way too much inconsistency. The NFL better get it together.

5. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    Well it's not like the NFL can't afford to give these guys the pensions they want. They have enough to pay the Jamarcus Russels of the world. The refs make anywhere from 25-100k a year depending. Just another corporate holdout to make us believe the middle class is screwing them. If anyone is for the NFL on this one they're just plain stupid.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57509385/replacement-referees-give-seahawks-extra-timeout/

7. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,304
    This, to me, is the worst part of the replacement refs. Some of those games yesterday took forever and it was just boring to sit around and wait and wait while they made up their mind. In one game they kept mis-spotting the ball, mismanaged the time clock, and kept getting overruled by the extra ref on the sideline.

The worst part about these refs right now is what they are letting teams get away with. Receivers are getting pummeled. The Eagles defenders were hanging on Ravens receivers all through the game. Detroit repeatedly threw illegal picks last night and not one was called. It's the sheer amount of non-calls that are endangering players.

The integrity of the NFL season is at risk if the league doesn't get this straightened out. Whichever team wins this season, even if it is the Packers, may have to have an asterisk placed after their name in the record book, because we can't be sure of any professional consistency. At least with the Professional refs there is a certain degree of consistency. Teams know when they are cracking down on interference calls, or which Ref squad has particular tendencies toward which calls. Just my opinion...

8. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    This is becoming more surreal as the season goes on:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1338023-nfls-defense-of-replacement-referees-misses-the-mark
    And also: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-embarrass-the-nfl-on-monday-night-football/

9. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I call BS regarding this "integrity of the game" nonsense. Most of these guys are doing just fine. Yes, 4 or 5 of the crews really stink. But there are 4 or 5 of these replacement crews who have been very good. They would be an instant upgrades over the likes of Jeff Triplette, Walt Coleman, Bill Levy and Pete Morelli and should be offered permanent jobs whenever the NFLRA comes to its senses.

If the NFLRA doesn't want to get their butts back to work by mid-season, I hope Roger Goodell goes all Ronald Reagan on their a$$.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Gee, no bias there or anything :rolleyes:

You know how to recognize bias? Easy. They throw 120 officials all in one basket when one crew makes a mistake. The article should have said, "This crew is an embarrassment." not "the replacement officials are an embarrassment."

Let's say the NFLRA finally gets their heads out of their butts for a second. Do you think when Bill Levy or Walt Coleman's crew inevitably screws up you'll be reading articles that say, "The real refs are an embarrassment?" No, you won't. That wouldn't be fair, would it? Neither is the broad paintbrush they're using right now. And that is called BIAS.

11. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    Do you think Aaron Rodgers is a biased, pro-union schlub when he makes comments like these on the situation?:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Rodgers-on-refs-You-have-to-understand-the-rules.html
    Based on your previous comments in thread, I'm guessing "yes".

12. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    Tweet about tonight's game from ESPN's Rick Reilly: "NFL just announced small error in tonight’s officiating crew. Three guys are from Foot Locker."

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,485
    I've watched a few games, and parts of several others, and I think the crew that worked the GB/CHI game was the worst I've seen this year. However, I've seen the regular refs call equally bad games from time to time.

The crew that called the DAL/NYG game, for instance, did an outstanding job. Only one or two questionable calls there, and those were not black and white...much better than the average NFL game with regular refs.

As for the title of this thread, don't you guys remember the late QB hit penalty on Matthews early last year? I can't remember the game, but I sure remember the hit. Clean as a whistle...one step after the ball was gone, no head or neck contact, and he rolled him down instead of burying him...picture perfect...flag. Terrible call. The regular ref did not know the rules.

14. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    Isolated blown calls during the course of a season are one thing, but the lack of control that some of these replacement crews have shown is shocking. And once again, after tonight's MNF game, the issue of player safety was brought up (by Steve Young, who was pretty adamant that the NFL doesn't care about that).
    This is not a good situation. More and more players, coaches and fans are not satisfied with the job the replacements are doing. In some instances they are mistakenly instituting college rules when assessing penalties. That happened in tonight's game.
    You'll see even more articles tomorrow about how badly these crews are doing, and how the NFL needs to solve this problem quickly.

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Dear god is this true?

A ref that did a NFL game this weekend, did a 7th grade game tonight?

LOL

16. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
  17. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
  18. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Rodgers was talking about a specific call made on a specific play. (BTW, we've seen plenty of missed blocks like that with the "real refs"). Notice he didn't try to paint all 120+ officials with one broad stroke. He also didn't call them an "embarrassment." And nobody is saying the officials don't need to continue to fine-tune their understanding of the finer differences between pro and college rules. However, it's only the pro-union schlubs who are attempting to argue that they are incapable of continued improvement in that area. Here's an idea:

1. Issue a 3 day ultimatum to the NFLRA that either they report to work or they're fired.

2. Sign the replacements to individual full-time contracts.

3. At the end of the season, evaluate each official individually and weed out the chaff.

4. Offer the resulting openings to any of the old officials who are willing to work full-time and want a job.

With officials honing their skills 365 days a year, the benefits for the long run will be far more competent officiating than the NFL ever had with the old system. The fans won't stop watching. The players won't stop playing, and in due time the NFL will be better for it overall.

5. Profit.

19. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

20. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
  21. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    You're talking about Jim Core's crew. That crew has been solid both weeks. I like that he doesn't have the need to deliver a full speech every time he uses his microphone, ala Ed Hoculi. The shame of it all is that if the NFL ends up ultimately bringing back all of the NFLRA guys, then Walt Coleman will get his job back. If you want to talk about horrible officiating, he's the poster boy. And that's the problem with referee unions. They promote mediocrity. Each official should negotiate their own contract according to the value of their work.

22. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Yikes

Some fighting went on at one point and players were touching the refs or bumping into them?

I thought that was an automatic kicked out of the game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,304
    Last night might have been the straw to break the camel's back. Money wise what the Refs are asking for all total is less than a small fraction of what one premium QB makes.

This is a multi-billion dollar business. What's the big deal of paying them what is the equivalent of pocket change for the players.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,100
    The refs screwed the skins on Sunday and the refs lost control of the Monday night game as well. It's terrible.

I think I can count on one hand the number of games that have been run correctly and efficiently. It's not about a single missed call, it's about noticing every game multiple times the terrible job they are doing.

This has turned into a disaster.

If we did everything that Ronald Reagan did, we would be negotiating with terrorists and raising taxes as well.

25. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    Care to double down on these comments?

• Funny Funny x 1